What Hots And What's Not

Leema

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At the other end of the spectrum I hate it when I send an e-mail to a breeder about puppys and detail everything they might want to know such as where the pup will sleep, what other dogs and pets I have, that I want to do obedience training with the pup, a bit about me and where we live, and yes I'll ask price - of course I'll want to know if I can afford it.....then the breeder doesn't bother to reply back. This happened to me a few times on my quest for a boxer puppy. Phone messages too went un-answered. It got really frustrating after a while.

First question for me is whether or not they have had German Shepherds before.......big no no for me is any mention of Inspector Rex......no Shepherd puppies do not come trained for police work.....

I would love it if I could get a GSD who LOOKED like Inspector Rex though :D That is one (or however many dogs played him :laugh: ) nice piece of dog flesh ;)

not hot:

presumption that they can just turn up, hand over the money and take the puppy/dog with them!

get bored listening to you give a description of the dog's temperament.

hot:

asks lots of questions

shows that they are really thinking about how the pup/dog would fit in with what they want from a dog and how they would accommodate its needs.

is willing to come and meet pup/dog before purchase.

HOT:

* Person enquiring has owned breed before or demonstrates knowledge of the breed.

* Person uses phrases like 'member of the family', 'inside dog', or 'like my children'.

* Person talks about extensive medical treatment for their past dog/cat/animal.

* Person comes and visits my dogs when I don't have puppies available.

* Person shows that they have done research on me by mentioning my website, or the dogs I have listed on my website.

* Person has partaken in dog sports - like agility, obedience, earthdog, conformation, or any other event (or even informal event).

* Person has a degree of excitement in their voice - they clearly are enthused about a new dog!

Can I ask why you consider an inside dog as a huge plus? My 2 dogs are outside only dogs and are still VERY well loved; as much (if not more so) as inside dogs.

I'd be very disappointed if I wasn't given a puppy based on the fact that he/she would live outside. Especially since it's a parental rule as I'd be more than happy to let the dogs inside on occasion.

HOT

* Answers my questions and gives plenty of information.

* Has researched the breed and especially knows it's vices, not just what they like about them.

* Is willing to wait for a pup.

* Demonstrates an understanding of the importance of training.

NOT

* Avoids answering questions or gives one word answers when more is obviously required.

* Expects to pay a price that is no where near the general range for the breed.

* Wants a perfect pup that won't do the naughty things their last dog did.

I answer all enquiries, and my biggest NOT is a breeder who does not answer - absolute disgrace!

I dont mind many except these days I dodge anyone who is or has been a registered breeder.

I also get a bit niggly about - "have you managed to move your puppies out? If not and you are prepared to drop the price I will take them off your hands" :eek:

Yes, that's right up there with my father's (he's 81) "Have you got rid of the puppies yet?"....Translation "Do you have suitable buyers available for them?" :rolleyes:

HOT:

* Person enquiring has owned breed before or demonstrates knowledge of the breed.

* Person uses phrases like 'member of the family', 'inside dog', or 'like my children'.

* Person talks about extensive medical treatment for their past dog/cat/animal.

* Person comes and visits my dogs when I don't have puppies available.

* Person shows that they have done research on me by mentioning my website, or the dogs I have listed on my website.

* Person has partaken in dog sports - like agility, obedience, earthdog, conformation, or any other event (or even informal event).

* Person has a degree of excitement in their voice - they clearly are enthused about a new dog!

Can I ask why you consider an inside dog as a huge plus? My 2 dogs are outside only dogs and are still VERY well loved; as much (if not more so) as inside dogs.

I'd be very disappointed if I wasn't given a puppy based on the fact that he/she would live outside. Especially since it's a parental rule as I'd be more than happy to let the dogs inside on occasion.

This is just my own opinion but it really depends on a few things-

How much interaction the dog is going to get. If it's a family that spends all their time indoors, the dog is going to get bored and lonely and then there's the worry of problem behaviours stemming from that. If they're outdoorsy people who'd be putting in at least one or two hours a day of interaction (play/training/walking/whatever), it'd be less of an issue.

Whether or not the dog was suited to living outdoors. This depends not just on breed but on the individual dog. An IG just wouldn't cope as an outside only dog in somewhere like Tasmania without coats and shelter built/bought with the dog's needs in mind and even then, it wouldn't be the most comfortable existence. That said, some dogs prefer to sleep outside so it's really an individual thing.

Nots: from a puppy buyers perspective.

1. Upping the quoted price between my paying the deposit and going to pick up the pup, because everyone else with that breed had upped theirs.

2. Different breed. With this breeder, I was willing to wait for a pup, but to my surprise was then told there was one available, so was only 2 weeks away from getting her sent to me, and I receive a phone call, saying I was given the wrong price etc., but later found out that puppy had gone to another person. I was willing to show, but not breed and that was the reason I lost my puppy. Very devastating.

NOTs:

"I'm on a pension, do you give pensioner discounts on the price?" - for a rescue dog already priced well below "cost"...

Anyone offering to "take it off your hands" or trying to bargain/haggle on price.

Anyone wanting to leave the dog (rescue) undesexed and get a discount due to that.

Anyone wanting to buy as a gift for someone else as a surprise... BIG GRRR on that one!

HOTs:

Wanting to know all about the actual dog/pup in question - it's likes, dislikes, what it eats, where it sleeps, it's personality type, whether it gets on with others, etc...

T.

Not a breeder, but I've rehomed a few rescue animals.

I dislike it when the adoptee answers minimally when asked to tell me a bit about themselves. Then when they get offended at more specific questions.

When they tell me horror stories about their last animals involving irresponsibility.

I had one guy come to pick up a kitten. He seemed fine over email/phone, though lacked knowledge in some areas. As a standard practice, I go through worming, flea treatment, FIV/FELV, diet etc, on collection and give them a sample bag. When I tried to do this with this guy he completely tuned out, looked around the room, kept giving me placating phrases and body language and seemed eager to pay and leave. By the time I'd finished going through vaccinations he seemed downright offended that I would waste his time (important looking businessman) and told me curtly "I'm sure we will be fine", then rose to leave!

That anoyed me.

At the other end of the spectrum I hate it when I send an e-mail to a breeder about puppys and detail everything they might want to know such as where the pup will sleep, what other dogs and pets I have, that I want to do obedience training with the pup, a bit about me and where we live, and yes I'll ask price - of course I'll want to know if I can afford it.....then the breeder doesn't bother to reply back. This happened to me a few times on my quest for a boxer puppy. Phone messages too went un-answered. It got really frustrating after a while.

Yep Im at that stage, emailed 2 breeders and rang a rescue. Left a simple message for the rescue about which dog I was ringing about and my name and contact number as instructed on the voice mail and nothing.. not even a polite call to say sorry the dog has been adopted was there anyone else you were interested in.

The first breeder nothing... and the 2nd breeder I got an email the following night to apologize not answering my email sooner as she was busy and that she would get back to me the following day answering my questions.. so we're 3 days later then that and still nothing.. just bummed out at this stage, I dont wanna ring people as to me calling is a really eager think and shows a YES I WANT kind of effect and I dont wanna seem pushy as at this stage Im still deciding based on a number of things including the response I get from the breeder.. so Im gonna sit in my bubble and wait

Yep Im at that stage, emailed 2 breeders and rang a rescue. Left a simple message for the rescue about which dog I was ringing about and my name and contact number as instructed on the voice mail and nothing.. not even a polite call to say sorry the dog has been adopted was there anyone else you were interested in.

The first breeder nothing... and the 2nd breeder I got an email the following night to apologize not answering my email sooner as she was busy and that she would get back to me the following day answering my questions.. so we're 3 days later then that and still nothing.. just bummed out at this stage, I dont wanna ring people as to me calling is a really eager think and shows a YES I WANT kind of effect and I dont wanna seem pushy as at this stage Im still deciding based on a number of things including the response I get from the breeder.. so Im gonna sit in my bubble and wait

I am going through this too :( I have emailed 4 breeders and have received nothing from any of them. It's only been a few days though.

Guest donatella

It's a shame for those who don't hear from breeders, I heard back from every single Pomeranian breeder I mailed and I've mailed a few. Some breeders would get far more enquiries then others though and it takes time to reply to emails, run a family, raise dogs, work etc. I also found that email was the preferred method of contact (from the Pom breeders I spoke too) so give them time :thumbsup:

A few days is nothing -. They may have their hands fl with pups, kids and work. Also remember if you send an email from a gmail account etc it could lNd up in their spam folder - this happened to me.

I dont mind that I appreciated the breeder sending me an email to acknowledge my email had been recieved but giving me a time frame means I am now anxiously awaiting and expecting a response, thats just me though LOL impatient is me