Hopeless Guard Dogs

huck house

The police were urgently banging on my door half an hour ago wanting to know if I'd seen anyone running through our yard and what I know about the house two doors up. As I was speaking to the one of the detectives, the dog squad came down the driveway from my backyard with a huge psyched up gsd. ( stunning dog)

I'm really spun out by the whole scene. We are new to the area but it hadn't taken long to work out how dodgy the house occupants were.

The thing that's really freaking me out is how horrified the police were that my back sliding door and front window are wide open . I told them we have dogs and they could see the cat tower. They asked where the dogs are and I pointed to the bedroom right next to the front door where they were fast asleep with my partner .The dog squad cop said it was lucky they didn't come out or there might of been a dog fight.

I have always felt secure where ever we have lived because of the dogs . But these two ( nor my partner) didn't even wake up , let alone come to investigate! The police had opened our garage , gone through the back

colourbond gate , it was quite a commotion .

I'm sure if someone had actually entered our room the dogs would protect us ...!??

Sorry, I hope this rant /vent makes sense. I'm really put off by the whole scene. :@

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What a night! It's a shock when you realise your dogs may not keep your house safe, it's happened to me too.

A few years ago someone came through our back door between a sleeping Bullmastiff and ACD and managed to take off with laptops and mobile phones. Dog's didn't make a sound! Im sure the Bullmastiffs snoring covered any sound he was making :o

Hopefully what happened last night isn't a common occurance for you.

My heart dog was a Rotti, she would let anyone into the back yard, you never saw her until you had entered inside. But she would never let you leave :laugh: She was the most protective dog I have had, as well as my GSD puppy.

Now as for my Pug, he would never be any help, he doesn't even bark. But so long as the burglars brought food, he'd never snitch on anyone :rofl:

I hope you are feeling better OP.

Lynn

I get my meat delivered and when the poor kid gives me the meat all is well, then when he starts leaveing Molly wants to eat him.

My other two will wag, but thats about all they will do.

Gilly will bark if its someone we dont know OR the meat kid.

Yikes also.............I hope you managed to get some sleep after all that. And yes it might be a good idea to keep the door closed in the future. Not sure what our girl would do, probably bark then come running to us for protection :)

I'm sure if someone had actually entered our room the dogs would protect us ...!??

Sorry, I hope this rant /vent makes sense. I'm really put off by the whole scene. :@

Unless your dog is trained, no don't rely on it. Having untrained dogs is then leaving it up to the dog to see if it's capable or not, or if it's just going to come out the back end of being expected to guard traumatised.

I had to ask a friend to use my stash key to enter my house and get something I needed while I was away. My friend hadn't been to my house or met my bull terrier before. She searched through the downstairs, found what I needed but then was worried, because she knew I had a dog but couldn't see him. So she went upstairs to look for him, looked everywhere, finally lifted up the doona to inspect a suspicious lump and there he was looking sleepily up at her.

She ruffled his ears, put the doona cover back over him and left.

Sigh.

Scary night! My dog will try to protect me from strange men, including the OH if he pretends to hurt me (she just lays there and barks and whines at him as if to say "stop it daddy!"). It is quite funny sometimes. I yelled out Ow one day after I was stung by a bee and she came bolting out the back door and looked for anything that could have been the culprit. :laugh:

I really don't think she would let you on the property, but I do worry about what would happen if someone did and she bit them. You hear these stories about people getting into trouble because their dog bit someone who broke into the house. I'm sorry, but I would want my dog to defend us and our home in those circumstances. Isn't it part of the reason you get a dog? Or is this a way of thinking that is wrong?

The police were urgently banging on my door half an hour ago wanting to know if I'd seen anyone running through our yard and what I know about the house two doors up. As I was speaking to the one of the detectives, the dog squad came down the driveway from my backyard with a huge psyched up gsd. ( stunning dog)

I'm really spun out by the whole scene. We are new to the area but it hadn't taken long to work out how dodgy the house occupants were.

The thing that's really freaking me out is how horrified the police were that my back sliding door and front window are wide open . I told them we have dogs and they could see the cat tower. They asked where the dogs are and I pointed to the bedroom right next to the front door where they were fast asleep with my partner .The dog squad cop said it was lucky they didn't come out or there might of been a dog fight.

I have always felt secure where ever we have lived because of the dogs . But these two ( nor my partner) didn't even wake up , let alone come to investigate! The police had opened our garage , gone through the back

colourbond gate , it was quite a commotion .

whoah that's full on!

When I've watched those dog squad shows I've often wondered what would happen when/if they put the dog over the fence into a yard that has a dog in it.

Your guys must have been having a very good sleep not to wake up though!

I think really we can only ever hope our dogs are a deterrant to people.

I really hope the neighbourhood settles down after the commotion, and you don't have a repeat of last night. Keep in mind that all of you are safe, and that should be what you focus on.

We had a GSD growing up that got kicked by intruders, he was very sore for a few weeks, and he never let anyone in the yard again. I don't want to come home to that ever again- an injured dog is worse than having something missing. If mine slept through a break in, and were still snuggled up in their bed when I got home, I'd be relieved.

It worries me that the Police officer didn't think the Police dogs could be controlled to prevent a dog fight. Was it the dog handler who made the remark, or the general officer? The handler would be aware of the potential dangers in back yards including dogs, and wouldn't want their dog injured, I'd think they would be pretty capable of managing most situations.