Experiment: Do Australian Dogs Recognize A Coyote?

sandgrubber

Do your dogs react to coyote noises.  

42 members have voted

1. 1. How do your dogs respond to these sounds

• no reaction
    • startle, then run around looking
    • fear, trembling, hiding, seeking protection
    • other (describe please)

Any kind of cat noises drives my cat wild, and he'll paw at the laptop and go under the table beneath the laptop trying to find the other cat haha

If you want to get your cat going they've also got cat fight sounds:

http://www.soundboard.com/sb/cat_fight_catfights_clip.aspx

Dali looked slightly concerned, staring and ears twitching, but Mister just wandered in looking for food. :laugh:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Acheron - head tilts and raised ears and then lost interest.

Barkley - raised ears and came from another room to investigate, and then lost interest.

Flash - Not a lot of interest initially but when I played the group howling and barking she started barking and went outside to find them :laugh:

Well I must have poodles with coyote backgrounds...Luci roused from a sleep instantly both dogs paced up and down the hallas the sound played. The yips got the most attention...then they both proceeded to have a fun rumble in the dayroom.

I have a foster girl here (18-24 month old stafford) and she was none to interested in the sounds.

My 10 month old male staffy cross however was totally interested - checking out the laptop, tipping his head from side to side and walking around the laptop to see where the sound was coming from.

When his interest peaked, she became more interested and went to look out the door and then the window to see where the noise was coming from.

The boy just hung out at the laptop listening and seemed happy for the noises to continue..

She became a bit agitated, so I turned them off...

On the other hand, he loves to sit and watch the TV when it is on, especially any show with a dog in it - like Dog Whisperer or the Animal cop shows...

Our 12 year old female desexed GSD woke up, raised her head and then went back to sleep. The 15 month old male entire WSSD sat next to me twisting his head towards the speakers. The 5 year old and 4 year old male GSDs (both desexed) started howling and kept going for 30 seconds after the sound stopped. Then again they reacted the same way to a wolf howling audio clip (I've posted this elsewhere on DOL but couldn't find the post):

Our 12 year old female desexed GSD woke up, raised her head and then went back to sleep. The 15 month old male entire WSSD sat next to me twisting his head towards the speakers. The 5 year old and 4 year old male GSDs (both desexed) started howling and kept going for 30 seconds after the sound stopped. Then again they reacted the same way to a wolf howling audio clip (I've posted this elsewhere on DOL but couldn't find the post):

how cute are they!!!! :laugh: I certainly didn't get that reaction from mine, I even turned up your vid to see if they'd take notice, nup they're a disgrace to their race!

Maggie ran to the TV near where I was sitting and stayed staring at it and had a few barks as well as some huffing and puffing. She had a small howl when some of the howling played which was cute. That was an interesting experiment...it's funny reading about the different dog reactions!

Edited by Roova

Tarja went from laying on the floor next to me relaxing to interested, sitting up and trying to get her face into the computer speakers and then looking at me, nudging and putting paws up as if to say it was mean of me to be hiding the sources of these new and interesting sounds from her. She reacted more to the dingo howl and the African wild dog yipping than to the coyotes or the domestic dog noises, although she definitely picked out a dog whining in the "lots of dogs barking" clip and reacted more to that than the general barking. The general barking only got an ear twitch until the whining started part of the way through, then she gave full attention and head tilts.

No reaction at all from the cat that's in the room, she's too busy imitating a cushion :)

Kelpie: Opened his eyes and raised his head. Decided it was nothing of consequence and went back to sleep, occasionally opening his eyes when a new recording was played.

Schipperke: Very alert, huffing, growling, staring.

Both dogs reacted more to the Coyotes, African Wild dogs and Dingoes than the Domestic dogs.

Weez looked at the computer a lot and tilted his head every time they started up. Eventually got bored and went to harass the foxdog.

Fox may have looked over, but didn't really care, and was more excited that I was looking at her so went to get a toy in case I fancied a game.

They will both react to cat noises on the TV though!

The old GSD slept on without a worry.

The Pyreneans alerted and barked briefly till they realised it was just the computer (and mum was playing more predator noises again LOL!)

They then went outside to patrol and bark after hearing one of the hawks sound off as it flew over. Real life predators are much more interesting ;).

Edited by espinay2

I replied earlier but thought I'd update, my girl responded immediately, barking and checking the house perimter- i.e. checked front and back doors, checked the garage door. Unfortunatley she was on high alert for ages- she finally slept at around 2 am, she barked seemingly randomly most of the night. Maybe it's a male Coyote, and maybe my girl is coming into season? Was it a mating call?

Thanks everybody for playing this game.

My girls didn't bark, but jumped up from a cold sleep and did their little dance at the door saying "URGENT, let us out!" They are familiar with coyotes, racoons, and grey foxes. (Thank Dog they haven't met Mr. Skunk yet).

It would be interesting to re-do this in a more serious way. I'd love to know whether the dogs that responded saw coyote as dog, or as "something like dog", or "some sort of animal out there".

Hard to know whether dogs who slept through it were tired, or had gotten blase' (how do you do accent marks ?) from hearing a lot of animal recordings, or just aren't reactive to such things. Guess I should have included an option for vocalizations. If anyone knows a highschool kid who needs a science project . . . re-doing this in a more serious way would make an interesting little experiment. Could add the cat fight noises and do cats (or dogs).