Dogs And Goats Believed Slaughtered.

Steve

http://www.meltonweekly.com.au/news/local/news/general/rockbank-raid-dogs-goats-believed-slaughtered/2440861.aspx

AUTHORITIES raided a Rockbank property this morning where they suspect animals, including dogs and goats, were illegally slaughtered and sold for human consumption.A 26-member joint taskforce including Caroline Springs police, Police Search and Rescue, Melton detectives, RSPCA, the Department of Sustainability and Environment (DSE), Prime Safe and Melton Council arrived at the property about 7.30am.

They found dozens of animals including goats, chickens, dogs, reptiles, horses, pigs, and an emu.

They also found a number of goat carcasses hanging on butcher’s hooks and butchering equipment including saws, blow torches and knives.

Police seized around $200,000 of stolen machinery and cars from the premises, illegal firearms, ammunition and cannabis plants from a mobile home on the property.

The raid was organised after police received a statement from a witness who said they saw a dog being butchered and a blowtorch used to remove its hair before the carcass was hung on a hook.

It was also alleged a man who lives on the large property sold dog meat to around 100 customers for between $100-350.

The witness said the dogs were found through public notices that advertised the animals as free to a good home.

In a separate statement, another witness claimed they saw a man receive a bag of pork at the property. They said the man admitted to buying the meat on a weekly basis at a ‘‘cheap price’’.

No dog meat was found on the premises.

PrimeSafe, the Statutory Authority regulating the safety of meat, poultry and seafood across Victoria, scoured the property and inspected carcasses and equipment and seized and destroyed quantities of meat from a freezer.

PrimeSafe is yet to confirm the origin of the meat, but Chief Executive Brian Casey said the information obtained by its operations and licensing managers during the inspection is subject to further investigation.

The RSPCA checked around 30 dogs on the property, mostly caged and some chained to trees.

Several notices will be issued under the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1986.

An RSPCA spokeswomen said while most of the dogs scored ‘‘good body condition’’ ratings, poor animal husbandry practices existed.

‘‘Dirty cages, with a huge build of faeces and urine, with dirty water or lack of [was witnessed].’’ the spokeswoman said.

A dog that was too tall for its cramped cage was moved to a larger shed following RSPCA advice.

An emaciated goat was put down and taken away for post mortem.

The RSPCA spokeswoman said other goats were in poor condition and lameness was a concern due to possible foot rot, abscesses or overgrown hooves.

Two restricted breed dogs were also found on the property.

A Melton Council spokesman said the owner has been issued with notices of declaration for the restricted breed dogs.

A 41-year-old Rockbank man has been charged and bailed on criminal offences in relation to the raid.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will be interesting to watch this - Surely if they are killing goats and pigs for meat its a whole leap of difference to killing dogs for meat.

Hard to imagine anyone in Victoria would be interested in eating it .

Legally they can butcher meat for their own consumption - the only thing they have them on so far is butchering and selling the pork and goat meat

I'm not surprised there are some who would eat dog, there are a lot of different customs in Australia now and Im sure there would be a market somewhere for it. This person either really did have a market for it, or he was selling falsely labelled meat which wouldn't be the first time thats happened.

I understand the desire for humans to eat meat, but I'll never understand how often the experience seems to be made as cruel as possible for the animals involved. :( How can some people have zero compassion for another living thing??

Could be there's a market for dog meat. Could be that the newspapers know they will sell more copy if they draw the attention of dog lovers and racists sorts who think all Asians love to eat dogs. Donnow. There are lots of self serving people and groups out there and sometimes it's hard to find the truth.

So what, they kill their own goats and pigs for meat, it's no big deal, people on properties all over the country do it. I don't know many people on the land who don't eat their own. Onselling it has a seperate set of issues but I guess with the price of meat, people are willing to source their meat from places other than butchers and supermarkets and I can hardly blame them.

Animal cruelty issues, chained dogs, dirty cages, poor body condition etc, are of a concern.

So what, they kill their own goats and pigs for meat, it's no big deal, people on properties all over the country do it. I don't know many people on the land who don't eat their own. Onselling it has a seperate set of issues but I guess with the price of meat, people are willing to source their meat from places other than butchers and supermarkets and I can hardly blame them.

Animal cruelty issues, chained dogs, dirty cages, poor body condition etc, are of a concern.

Yeah that was my first thoughts too .Everyone around here kill their own meat but it is against the law to sell it even though most of them do. We have neighbours who had dead sheep hanging from trees for their won use and the cops came in because someone said it was humans hanging there! Dont think its iilegal to eat dog in most states anyway as long as you don't cut their tails off before you kill them.

As I said it will be interesting to see how it runs and what the real facts are rather than versus what has been reported.

This statement from the article

Police seized around $200,000 of stolen machinery and cars from the premises, illegal firearms, ammunition and cannabis plants from a mobile home on the property.

suggests to me that the people involved aren't of the best character. Supply and demand, I suppose.

Looking at the photos from the article most of the dogs look like Amstaffs(?) except for the GSP puppy, could be links to a dog fighting ring or breeding hunting dogs :mad

The reptiles are protected species by the looks of them and goodness knows what was going to be done to the snake.

Not a good situation for any of the animals in my opinion. I have no problem with home killed meat but I do think there needs to be humane living conditions for the animals.

A useful article to to show why FTGHing animals isn't a good idea.

Free to "good" home indeed.

Article says there was a customer base of about 100 people buying the dog meat - I wonder how they got that piece of information. Is it illegal to purchase meat from a home butcher? Or just to sell it?

Will be interesting to watch this - Surely if they are killing goats and pigs for meat its a whole leap of difference to killing dogs for meat.

Legally they can butcher meat for their own consumption - the only thing they have them on so far is butchering and selling the pork and goat meat

Cant say what the letter of the law is in Victoria, but I do know that it was quite legal to kill and eat dogs in NSW, just so long as the animal had been slaughtered humanely. I am not up to date with this subject now but pollies in marginal electorates used to dodge this subject like bullets .... because they didn't want to offend some sections of their loyal multicultural electorate. You should have seen the speed they used to change the subject, :) or check their phones and tell you that they "have to make an urgent phone call now - can I get back to you on that?"

And, of course, they never did.

Good old double standards - probably still alive and kicking in Victoria too.

Souff

Apparently in Korea they farm and eat dog regular....to them dog is no different to us eating cows...which are sacred in Asia so whats the difference....we are a multi cultural nation.

The difference is the varying standards and attitudes pushed down our neck in recent years.

Breeders are deemed to be "mutilating" an animal if we were to dock a pup's tail in the traditional way and we will be carted off to court and convicted if we do this in Australia.

We are frowned on by many for another so-called "mutilation" - the removal of dew claws on neo-natal pups, when the breeder knows, and the vet knows, that some breeds do suffer terrible and painful injury to the leg when they rip a dewclaw seriously. This does not happen to all breeds of dogs so those of us who choose to protect our vunerable pups from future damage, because we know that they come from lines where this has happened in the past, are made to skulk around and quietly have it done, without alerting the AR-inclined vet nurses along the way.

Both of the above procedures were designed to PREVENT injury - not mutilation at all.

Yet, should we choose, in some states we can go out into the backyard and legally wring the same dog's neck, or legally cut it's throat, or kill it in other ways .... and this is not deemed to be an atrocity or mutilation?

People SHOULD kill animals humanely and there should be no cruelty, and on the land some people have to kill animals on their property.

My point is that AR activists, and others who are politically motivated, who scream "mutilation" to dew claw removal and tail docking, can actually turn a blind eye to the backyard butchers of dogs. Politicians likewise - because they will not risk losing votes, particularly in marginal electorates, or losing political donations.

Souff

Yes I agree...but these are members of our community now....are we to have one rule for them and one for us? As Steve said it will be interesting to see how this particualar event goes.

Yes, members of our community now.

And they will find no shortage of different types of meat to eat in this community; meat that has been legally butchered in proper conditions and to proper standards.

What happens in their country of origin STAYS in their country of origin - when it comes to eating dogs.

Dogs are not an animal that are bred in this country as a source of nutrition for humans or other animals, and this needs to be clearly communicated to any newcomers.

I am all for enjoying the benefits of multiculturism - but not the barbarism, thank you.

Souff

Edited by Souff

Yes I agree...but these are members of our community now....are we to have one rule for them and one for us? As Steve said it will be interesting to see how this particualar event goes.

Yes, members of our community now.

And they will find no shortage of different types of meat to eat in this community; meat that has been legally butchered in proper conditions and to proper standards.

What happens in their country of origin STAYS in their country of origin - when it comes to eating dogs.

Dogs are not an animal that are bred in this country as a source of nutrition for humans or other animals, and this needs to be clearly communicated to any newcomers.

I am all for enjoying the benefits of multiculturism - but not the barbarism, thank you.

Souff

Obviously by the report Souff this practice is happening now.

This is Vic's more shady establishments ... not the place Animal Lib can go and raid

(although might teach them a thing or two about raiding and who and what they don't want to run into)

If Vic Pol are throwing the killing goats and pig meat book at them

its because it's all they got.

Edited by lilli

This is Vic's more shady establishments ... not the place Animal Lib can go and raid

(although might teach them a thing or two about raiding and who and what they don't want to run into)

If Vic Pol are throwing the killing goats and pig meat book at them

its because it's all they got.

Yeah well based on the fact they got nothing to say dogs were being killed for meat and they left the animals there and who is involved - see link - I don't believe anything they say about the dogs.

Too bad they didn't find evidence of breeding dogs - much bigger penalties then.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/animal-activist-rescues-dog-from-illegal-abattoir-20120202-1qvpc.html