Dog Attack

petermoore

I am going to put myself in the shoes of the handler of the other dog - I'd mad as heck at you for not having effective control of your dog in the first place. I'd expect you to pay your own vet bill. I'd also be reporting your dog to the council. I did just ring our council about this out of personal curiosity (I hypothesised that it happened in an off leash area) and they advised that the owner of the leashed dog would not be considered at fault even though the leash broke because your dog was not under effective control.

Having said that, I do wish your dog a speedy revovery and have fingers, toes and paws crossed that there are no lasting psychological set backs from this.

Yep. I'm really tired of owners who equate aggressor with the dog that was more physically equipped to do the most damage.

I have rescued greyhound, she's 6yo and we've had her for almost 3years now. She has a wonderful nature with people, but is often a little unnsure how to act around other dogs. She seems to have learnt from our neighbour's dogs to bark at dogs as they walk past our place, and she does ocassionally take on an aggressive pose to other dogs, but its all show and she has never attempted to bite or chase another dog or cat.

Taking on an aggressive pose is a means of communication to another dog. It says yes I'm good too and will push back if you push me.

Now whether your dog will actually push back when push comes to shove, is specific to the unique interaction between your dog and another dog.

Dogs with 'no push' in them, do not take on aggressive poses.

It's either in a dog's psyche or it is not.

Edited by lilli

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to put myself in the shoes of the handler of the other dog - I'd mad as heck at you for not having effective control of your dog in the first place. I'd expect you to pay your own vet bill. I'd also be reporting your dog to the council.

Having said that, I do wish your dog a speedy revovery and have fingers, toes and paws crossed that there are no lasting psychological set backs from this.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Agree 100%

I live out of town now so don't walk dogs in town anymore but I use to loath walking my dogs in town because of irresponsible owners who had their dogs off lead and didn't have effective control of them. For that reason I use to carry an old dressage whip - I never had to use thank goodness.

Yes the dog's lead broke but would it have broken if your dog had not rushed at it? Personally if I was the other dogs' owner I'd be reporting you for not having your dog under effective control, I'd expect you to pay your own vet bill and depending on the emotional damage and the possibility of having to call in a expert I may even expect you to pay for me having to take my dog to get over the mental damage done by the whole incident.

In another thread some time ago I was telling people that I was sitting at the vets with my GSD boy, on lead and under control when another person came in with a dog and let this dog run at mine. My boy went this dog but I pulled him back before he bit the other dog,clearly the other dog was at fault.

So IMO the greyhound (not on lead) is at fault as it ran up to another dog who was on lead and provoked it and I'm sure council will see it this way also. I'm sorry for your dog and I hope your dog recovers but whether it's a large or small dog,you must have full control of your dog in public.

Edited by tarope

In another thread some time ago I was telling people that I was sitting at the vets with my GSD boy, on lead and under control when another person came in with a dog and let this dog run at mine. My boy went this dog but I pulled him back before he bit the other dog,clearly the other dog was at fault.

So IMO the greyhound (not on lead) is at fault as it ran up to another dog who was on lead and provoked it and I'm sure council will see it this way also. I'm sorry for your dog and I hope your dog recovers but whether it's a large or small dog,you must have full control of your dog in public.

So if a dog isn't on a lead its fair game?

Hardly.

But its owner has the responsiblity to keep it away from leashed dogs.

But the dog WAS on lead and for VERY GOOD REASON!!.....

It's the law in NSW that all dogs in public MUST be on a lead and under control at all times, unless it's an off lead park.

Petermoore, a number of people have asked but I can't see your answer - did this happen in an off leash area?

+1, whilst as i said,im sorry your dog was injured, but as you keep avoiding answering this question i am assuming it was not an off leash beach?

Edited by german_shep_fan

Something else to consider, was the dog on a leash because it was an on leash area? The OP hasn't clarified this. There are so many reasons the dog may have been on leash, just as there are many reasons it may have responded to the presence of the grey as it did.

Edited by Dxenion

As always will never know all the how whys ifs and buts.

The Grey should not have been allowed to zoom into the space of the other dog.

The other dog was on lead, and it may have been so simply because it had limited recall, we don't know. The lead broke, it may have been faulty, cheap and nasty whatever.

A combination of things led to an ugly incident which I am sure the OP has now learnt from.

I would not assume any thing else.

I think you will have to take many of the comments here with a grain of salt. The person you are responding to is talking about a thread where they tried to justify their dog's aggressive behaviour. I hope the other dog owner doesn't take that attitude with you.

Your dog was off lead, and that attracts a certain fine. The other dog attacked and that attracts a larger fine and a dangerous dog declaration. Nobody here can know exactly what view council will take, but they tend to look at the consequences of what each dog has done, rather than at why they might have done it. They do not have the skills or resources to investigate the dog's temperament or history. The priority is to be seen to be taking action on any safety concerns to prevent re-occurrence. Unless your dog is reported by somebody else as the instigator of the attack, it is likely that they will see it as an attack and not just a dog fight.

I'm glad to hear your dog is recovering. It will take a lot of time and special care before she is fully healed, and she may always have scars and muscle damage. I hope she is on anti-inflammatories to reduce the pain and on a good diet to aid skin and coat recovery.

I think you will have to take many of the comments here with a grain of salt. The person you are responding to is talking about a thread where they tried to justify their dog's aggressive behaviour. I hope the other dog owner doesn't take that attitude with you.

Your dog was off lead, and that attracts a certain fine. The other dog attacked and that attracts a larger fine and a dangerous dog declaration. Nobody here can know exactly what view council will take, but they tend to look at the consequences of what each dog has done, rather than at why they might have done it. They do not have the skills or resources to investigate the dog's temperament or history. The priority is to be seen to be taking action on any safety concerns to prevent re-occurrence. Unless your dog is reported by somebody else as the instigator of the attack, it is likely that they will see it as an attack and not just a dog fight.

I'm glad to hear your dog is recovering. It will take a lot of time and special care before she is fully healed, and she may always have scars and muscle damage. I hope she is on anti-inflammatories to reduce the pain and on a good diet to aid skin and coat recovery.

While this is certainly the case for many Councils, many are now employing people with behavioural knowledge and understanding of dogs in AMO roles and as such they DO have the skills to look further into the situation. Many Councils will request the dog owner have the dog's behaviour/temperament assessed by an approved assessor before making decisions as to dangerous dog declarations.

Guest lavendergirl

But the dog WAS on lead and for VERY GOOD REASON!!.....

The Op was referring to the greyhound I think.

Petermoore only the relevant council can advise you about the procedures in having a dog declared dangerous and whether that can be applied in your siutation - have you contacted them? Do you also know the identity of the owner of the other dog? I hope your dog recovers OK from this trauma.

In the other thread Greytmate I took your comments at me with a grain of salt, just like this one, both you and the OP haven't got a clue what your talking about. Greyhounds can be aggressive too, but can't be very smart to take on a dog larger and more powerful than them. My vet treats Greyhounds and last year a Greyhound growled at my GSD boy (yes Greytmate growled) and when my boy growled back the Greyhound nearly crapped itself and this Greyhound had on a muzzle not too smart. ;)

So Greytmate now are you going to say my boy is in the wrong because he growled back. :mad The OP still hasn't said if it was an off lead area or not and I don't think the OP will be ringing the council either. :)

I own greyhounds and never let them off lead in an unfenced area because their recall is not that great. The OP should not have had his greyhound off lead unless it had a very solid recall, the OP knew his dog was inclined to run away and not recall. The OP is at least 50% to blame for waht happened. The OP has stated his greyhound will posture and bark at other dogs, not good in a dog with no recall. Greyhound skin tears very easily, a greyhound could sustain multiple injuries so very very easily, it doesn't have to be a sustained attack to do so. The other dog has certainly bitten the greyhound, by the OP's account, but it doesn't mean it mauled the greyhound. No one knows if the other dog has a history or not of attacking other dogs but even so it is entitled to be walked without being confronted by off leash out of control dogs. And yes greyhounds can indeed be nasty pieces of work, most get put down.

Provocation is a statutory defence in all states of Australia, it has nothing to do with reasonable force in a dog's self defence. If for instance a small dog rushes out of someone's driveway into the street and nips a large dog with it's owner walking past on leash and the large dog retaliates injures or kills the small dog, the large dog is not at fault and shouldn't be declared dangerous. The owners of the small dog should have kept it off the street, it's no different than the small dog rushing onto the street and getting hit by a car and expecting compensation from the driver IMHO.

The leash breaking in the situation is a problem I think because when the dog attacked the Grey it was also unrestrained and not under effective control, both dog's in effect were at large?.