Feel Like Slapping Your Forehead?

Fit for a King

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yip, insulting owners is the way to win them over, yeah?

I own an oodle cross. I bought him before I knew about puppy farms etc. I will never get another oodle but he is a hell of a lot smarter and well behaved than most dogs we meet - mutts and purebreds included. He has more drive than almost every GSD we've ever met too.

This forum is about promoting purebreds, no? So why the need to constantly insult other owners? Rather than pointing out how stupid they are, how ugly their dogs are (happens a lot on DOL...), point out the benefits of a pedigreed dog. Make it a race to the top, not a race to the bottom.

I wonder if a post that talked about how all lab owners were inconsiderate, all bull breed owners were bogan, all husky owners only got their dogs for their pretty eyes etc would get the same applause? Stereotypes - no matter what they are - don't do anyone justice.

I own an oodle cross. I bought him before I knew about puppy farms etc. I will never get another oodle but he is a hell of a lot smarter and well behaved than most dogs we meet - mutts and purebreds included. He has more drive than almost every GSD we've ever met too.

This forum is about promoting purebreds, no? So why the need to constantly insult other owners? Rather than pointing out how stupid they are, how ugly their dogs are (happens a lot on DOL...), point out the benefits of a pedigreed dog. Make it a race to the top, not a race to the bottom.

I wonder if a post that talked about how all lab owners were inconsiderate, all bull breed owners were bogan, all husky owners only got their dogs for their pretty eyes etc would get the same applause? Stereotypes - no matter what they are - don't do anyone justice.

Megan a WHOLE bunch of these have been done and cover alot of the common misconceptions about various breeds and sub breeds.

Words of wisdom. Thank you :curtsey:

Edited by HonBun

Hi Megan

NO one here has a problem with you owning an oodle cross. The issue most of us here have, and which most breeders of purebred dogs have is that the people who are breeding these crossbreds are lying to the people who buy them.They also see the dogs as the road to financial glory, and keep the poor dogs in the most appalling conditions.

This video points out the lies told to buyers and also points out how little the oodle breeder who sold the woman the labradoodle knew about breeding and genetics.

Usually the spin on labradoodles is that they don't shed, although there is no way of guaranteeing that, they inherit genes from each parent, whether they inherit the non shedding gene from the poodle, or the shedding gene from the labrador is in the lap of the gods. And some unfortunate owners buy dogs which have both shedding and non shedding genes - so the labrador coat, as it moults, is caught in the non-shedding poodle wool, and difficult to remove, so mats form.

Then there is the myth that labradoodles don't need health testing. Both labradors and poodles can have HD, poodles can have PRA. Both hereditary. Labradoodle breeders convince buyers that those genes simply ..disappear .. with the x bred mating. Unfortunately no, so you can buy a dog which can be prone to both those problems, from untested parents for twice what a purebred poodle, or a labrador retriever would cost.

What bothers me is that people who buy labradoodles buy them without full disclosure from breeders. They do believe they are buying a dog which needs no grooming, apart from maybe clipping, and which will have NO health problems.

They have not found out which purebreds would also fill their requirements, and the irony of the labradoodle owner "critising" and not understanding the retriever owners point of view is really an indictment of the lack of knowledge of the labradoodle owner - despite her attitude of knowing everything.

Alternatives to labradoodles are - Irish Water Spaniel, Portugese Water Dog, Spinone, Lagotto, and the underrated Poodle with a shaggy hairdo which resembles a labradoodle. A real non shedder!!

My main problem with these cross bred dogs is the way the breeding dogs are kept. Piled into wire crates on top of each other in a shed - in filthy kennels, or running 4 or 5 in a dog yard with a shelter. No human contact - except for the food being thrown in and the water renewed - with absolutely no psychological interaction wth people at all. A disgusting way to treat dogs. There is never any excuse for mass cruelty of this type. Never. And the fact that governments simply don't stamp it out disgusts me.

Other problem is that the breeding dogs are very poor quality, because purebred breeders will never sell quality breeding stock to oodle breeders. And they often access breeding dogs from other oodle breeders, or petshops which is no better. And as an oodle does not have a "breed standard" no one has any idea how they are supposed to look, so it doesn't really matter.

Good on people who love labradoodles, and want one - as long as they do the research to ensure that this is the dog for them. Unfortunately, it is difficult to do that research with lots of dodgy information such as "non shedding" "hybrid vigour" and so on.

Good luck with your dog ... everyone should be able to have the dog of choice, and love it for all its life. And no one hates oodles - just the way dogs suffer for them to be bred. Most oodles are very cute.

And I do agree with you, instead of picking on the cross breds, we purebred breeders need to be proactive, so our dogs and practises are not only better, but are seen to be better. We also need to breed more dogs so people can access them as easily as labradoodles.

We breeders had a giggle at the video, not a giggle at you or your dog.

Hope it is a clearer to you now?

Edited by Jed

clapping - well said Jed.......

Makes me wonder why the mdba apparently has an oodle breeder as a member as I recently read on another list? shaking head.....belies all sense......

Yep, I have seen this. It isn't an "oodle" breeder any more though, they have changed their breed name to something else. It used to be Australian Labradoodles, got some weird name now. Wondering if they are going to go for ANKC recognition :laugh:

clapping - well said Jed.......

Makes me wonder why the mdba apparently has an oodle breeder as a member as I recently read on another list? shaking head.....belies all sense......

Yep, I have seen this. It isn't an "oodle" breeder any more though, they have changed their breed name to something else. It used to be Australian Labradoodles, got some weird name now. Wondering if they are going to go for ANKC recognition :laugh:

Cobbadog apparently. :rofl: But who gave them licence to use an old Australian term like Cobber? :confused: