Names

biker girl

After reading another thread and the topic went slightly astray with names of pups, got me thinking about what or who did you name you pup after???

We have in our household.................................Seven - Seven of Nine, Star Trek Voyerger

Tasha - Tasha Yar, Star Trek Next Gen

Jim - James T Kirk, Star Trek the Original

Scout - To Kill a Mockingbird

I've also had Seth - Crusty Demon's freestyle moto x

and Gizmo- Gremilins................

what are yours????

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Three of my animals are named after Geelong players - Ablett (Gary Ablett), Rockling (which is what Rex Hunt calls Cameron Ling) and Otto (Brad Ottens). My blind pup is Stevie after Stevie Wonder. I have a foster cat called Penny and had another called Leonard after Big Bang Theory. :)

Edited by Kirty

Hi biker girl :)

I guess you mean house names!

Sookie after the blues standard 'Sookie Sookie.'

Wyn'ja is a word play on winning at Show, a bit reggae and a fit with his kennel mate who is a sook, so he is a whinger.

Flynch is a Celtic deriviative but falls in with the sook and the whinger.

Lastly, Chalice because I was feeling a bit blood thirsty.

Px

Edited by Tralee

Askari is swahili for soldier or police.

Anishinaabe is algonquin for "the people with puckered skin"

Asante sana is swahili for thank you. She is a replacement pup from the breeder for for Anishinaabe who had to be pts.

Acheron is from Greek mythology and means "river of woe" or apparently in today's vernacular "little sh*t". Until recently both worked well for him. He is now a much better boy.

Sirius is the dog star and was a bit famous on DOL as a puppy.

Neo and Morpheus are from The Matrix (Cats)

Anubis the Abysinnian is a Greek God. (Cats)

Geronimo & Kimosabe were named from spaghetti western movies. (Cats)

Fidget (cat) was named because when I picked her up from the vet as a rescue I couldn't hold her as she would fidget and squirm to get down and she still does. She is not a cuddle cat but will allow you to pat her all day long.

Edited by Ams

Mine aren't really named after anything... The only name that was actually based on something is Chops, my old girl cat, her name was suggested by a friend as when she (Chops) first came to live with me she used to try to bite ankles whenever anyone walked past. The others (Charlie the cat, Saxon, Riley and Quinn the dogs) have names that just came into my head as the right names for them.

Both of our four legged creatures were named by our kids.

Tintin after the French cartoon It confuddles everyone because most people don't seem to have heard of it. They think he's named after Rin Tin Tin. We have a vintage poster featuring Tintin and Snowy selling Orangina. Very cute.

Lola is named after Lola from Charlie and Lola. Now we need a Charlie.

Edited by Tintin Jac

Acheron - Mythology and also a character from The Dark Hunter books

Simi (who will be joining us on Friday) - Acheron's pet demon from above book series

Flash - OH picked her name, he says she 'just looked like a Flash'

Barkley - from Sesame Street (Mr Snuffaluppogus (?) doggy friend. When I first saw him he had a long shaggy orange fringe

My current dogs were named by their respective shelters, but my childhood dog was named High Country Zigenbine ("Ziggy") after the first female boss drover (Edna Zigenbine) who worked in the mid-1900s.

I have thought about continuing the tradition of naming future dogs after early drovers, especially if I ever get another blue heeler :)

Edited by Weasels

Cooper, my nephew helped me name Cooper, we just liked the name.

Lacy after a horse mum had years ago.

Tully after the Paulina Simmons book Tully

Bronson, After first meeting Bronson at the breeders, that night there was a Charles Bronson movie on so Bronson it was, and funnily enough it suits him down to the ground.

Mine all have middle names beginning with J, Jay, Jayd, Josephine and Joseph.

I never looked at name meaning till afterwards and found out that Lacy means - cheerful

and Tully mean clam and peaceful Its funny because the meaning suit both girls perfectly!

Tintin Jac- I loved that cartoon as a kid! So when I conjure "Tintin" that's what I think of...... Rin Tin Tin never comes to mind..... teehee :o

One thing I seem to subconsciously go for are "y" or "ie" sounds. If their name don't have one, a nickname all most certainly does! :D

My dogs are-

Rocky: I think my dad was going through a Rocky Balboa phase.....lol

Sadie, Reggie and Tess they just suited.

Cats-

Misty

Calliope (kal-eye-oh-pee): from greek mythology. Homer's muse.

Brutus: named after my parents old ginger tom Brutus (rip). A ploy to get them to accept him? maybe ;)

Angelo: Rescued kitten, cute like an angel (probably should be called Lucifer though)

Eclectus

My parrots are 'themed' all Yoruba (african) in meaning

Kirabo (key-rah-bow): Gift from God. Kept me together through some tough times.

Ayo (eye-oh): means joy

Ife (ee-fay): Means love

(Ayo and Ife are a 'breeding pair')

Through time various chickens (we breed for show and have on average 75+ at any one time) have had mythological names, emperor names, pokemon :o names and have been named after breeders we've got them from eg, Barry, Campbell etc.

The ex called his Jack Russell Terrier Rambo after the Rambo films and when I got my first Coolie he named her Xena after the warrior and when I got my next coolie I had to name her after Xena's side kick Gabrielle. Also had a chocolate kelpie named Milo, my friend's daughter named that one and mum named the border collie Inka cause she just loved the name

Zero Amadeus Apollo (dog) - is Zero the ghost dog from the nightmare before christmas, amadeus as in Amadeus Mozart and apollo after the greek god.

Mystery Mow Mow (cat) - Emily the strange's cat is Mystery. Mow Mow is the sound he makes when he wants something lol.

Lucius Salazar (bird) - Lucius after Lucius Malfoy and Salazar after Salazar Slytherin from Harry Potter. Makes sense if you know him. He's a little bit evil :D

Rembrandt LeBeau (bird) - Gambit from X-men's real name is Rembrandt Lebeau. His colour is a mutation of the normal cockatiel colouring, and we think he's handsome so LeBeau fits (it means "the handsome" in french)

In the past I've also had:

Danika (dog) - named after her grandmother who was a dog from Danika kennels

Shadow Fluffy (bird) - named after the dog in far from home that I watched the night before i got her and fluffy because she was always fluffed up and very cute.

Chino (bird) - named after the colour we thought she was (turns out she was actually a silver fallow, not a lutino!) and a cappuchino

My 3 iggy girls are all named after goddesses - Nyx, Luna and Venus

My latest iggy boy is called Dali, after Salvador Dali the artist, as he looks like someone has painted spots on him lol

My boxer pup I named Fluke cos I have a golden named Karma and the 2 names go together well

Our Staffy x was Clapton after being given 2 choices by OH - Eric or CLapton - no prozes for guessing who he was named after, our ACD X was JEss after the bitch in Footrot Flats, our rescue kelpie x came named Bonnie, the kids named the current kelpie Rosie - no real reason and the hound is named Earl - from My name is Earl - which is his pedigree name - which we picked as we wanted something bluesy for a hound

Stan was named after a guy I worked with years ago who loved greyhounds.Maddie's name was Skye when she came to me which was half of her racing name.Skye to me was a peaceful sort of name and there's nothing peaceful about my girl,she is M.A.D so Maddie it is. :)