Ok To Advertise Puppies In The Classifieds?

puppies online classifieds ok or not?  

166 members have voted

1. 1. Is it ok for an ANKC registered breeder to advertise their puppies in online classifieds?

• yes
    • no
    • maybe - depends why
    • other

Hi all

Just wondering if given the ANKC code of ethics says this

11. A member shall breed primarily for the purpose of improving the quality and / or working

ability of the breed in accordance with the breed standard, and not specifically for the pet or

commercial market.

Is advertising the puppies in online classifieds - like the trading post or gumtree ok or not?

if not - why not?

if ok - when is it ok?

Personally I'm not big on it. I thought breeders were supposed to meet demand ie have buyers lined up before the puppies arrived - so they'd never need to advertise on classifieds.

But there are huge numbers of people who want an "instant puppy", and classifieds or pet shops is where they go to look. Should we be providing quality dogs for these people or leaving them to the breeders with no code of ethics?

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they should be able to. My Aussie was advertised here and also on the trading post which is where I saw her.

If we restrict advertising, so many people who don't know the difference between buying from a BYB or a good breeder may not get the chance to see these well bred dogs. I didn't know DOL existed till then.

Personally I'm not big on it. I thought breeders were supposed to meet demand ie have buyers lined up before the puppies arrived - so they'd never need to advertise on classifieds

You don't know how many puppies a bitch will have when you mate her, so how do you know how many people to have on your list?

People also buy elsewhere even when already on a list, so you may have 10 people waiting only to find it's down to 3 when the puppies are ready to be sold.

I think more ethical breeders should advertise on petlink/gumtreee/trading post etc, puppy buyers are going there in thousands, so why not target them??

We want more people to buy registered puppies, it makes sense to list/sell them where thousands of puppy buyers already go.

Of course you still do the normal checks etc, it's just a different place to advertise.

I think it's good to advertise in classifieds - "normal" people don't really think to look up a breeder. They just know they want a puppy of a certain breed. So they go to the classifieds. IMO it gets the registered breeders out there and if the ad is more professional-looking (rather than a fuzzy picture of a bunch of day-old pups), say with a picture of the mum and dad, it'll be more eye-catching than the BYB's ads. Hopefully.

Although I'm not sure how all of that stacks up to the guidelines.

But I'm pretty sure that if a breeder is firstly breeding for the breed...I think getting the breed out there in the public's face is also advertising the professional, registered breeders.....

smile.gif if that makes sense. And I might even be wrong :o but it's just my opinion :)

I voted yes. How else are the general public going to be able to get hold of a quality puppy? So many people don't know where to look 'cept for the papers or places like Gumtree.

IMO it doesn't matter where you advertise, it's how you vet the people that counts.

I am all for registered breeders advertising anywhere that backyard breeders and puppy farmers do. Some beleive we shouldnt because we are "better than that" or because it makes us look like one of them. But I beleive in giving new owners options, how are non dog savy people ment to know about breeders if we arnt out their advertising?

I dont get the breeders should only breed to meet demand or only breed when they have X ammount of people on the waiting list. I recently had my first litter and didnt have trouble homing any of them and Pointers arnt a popular breed, i had no one on a waiting list. At the moment there are far more litters of Pointers than when I had my litter advertised , it will be interesting to see how all these people do homing their dogs! pointers are an under-rated breed thou it would be nice to see their popularity go up. Also I advertised everywhere I could think of... oddly enough all my pups were sold via DOL I did have calls and email from the trading post and newcastle hearld, one of which is now on my waiting list. :thumbsup:

Edited by Nevafollo

I think how the Breeders screens the right homes for their pups is far more important than where those homes found the Breeder.

With the increasing number of grubs breeding for bucks I also think it is VERY important that good Breeders are highly visible.

So YES, I think that it is more than OK for Breeders to advertise online, in the classies wherever.

Breed clubs should run adds as well :)

But there are huge numbers of people who want an "instant puppy", and classifieds or pet shops is where they go to look. Should we be providing quality dogs for these people or leaving them to the breeders with no code of ethics?

That's true... I think educating them is probably best for dogs in general...

When I was little, we got a little mutt (Poco - Maltese X Silky Terrier) from a BYB eek1.gif because we didn't think there was anything wrong with it...we even bred from her because she had such a good temperament :o I wouldn't do that now - I know better ;)

But back then, we didn't know better and it didn't mean we loved her any less...geez I used to pretend we were getting ready for a show so I trotted her around on her lead and brushed her and stuff... And now my little brother is her new pet laugh.gif

So yeah..people would probably get a quality dog if they had the option, but a lot of people may not even realise there's a difference between BYBs & Registered Breeders...

ANKC registered purebreds should be waving their flag wherever people are looking for pets. That doesn't mean they get sold to just anyone, but why shouldn't they be just as accessible to every pet loving person?

Just because some impatient ninny responds to an add and wants a drive thru pup doesn't mean that a Breeder who advertises is going to sell them one ;)

What is so evil about advertising?

No. Really.

WHY is is considered 'bad' to tell people you have a quality puppy for sale to the right, well screened home?

Jobs are advertised in the paper, and not everyone who rings up is going to get it, are they?

The only thing advertising does is tell people you are there. It lets them know you are an option!!

Exactly how are the general public going to know about you otherwise? By osmosis? Magic?

IT is what you do with the people who call AFTER they call that makes the difference, not that fact that you make your details available for people to see through a variety of commonly viewed media.

Wow - this has been educational for me.

I guess the classfied is just a tool and isn't a direct reflection on who uses it or why. A bit like computers and the internet generally.

The reason (in answer to someone's question) to breed to meet demand - is so that there will be less unwanted dogs in the pounds. But I guess it's impossible to get that right all the time.

I was just thinking if would-be dog owners had to do a little bit of work to get their dog - then they would value the dog more and be more thoughtful about its future welfare. The classifieds and pet shops just seem too easy. But I guess as long as advertising pets on the classifieds is ok for anyone then everyone should be able to.

Just because they respond to an add doesn't guarantee they will get a dog there and then.

They will still have to jump through a Breeders hoops and as we hear on this forum all the time that is not easy.

I guess the classfied is just a tool and isn't a direct reflection on who uses it or why. A bit like computers and the internet generally.

The reason (in answer to someone's question) to breed to meet demand - is so that there will be less unwanted dogs in the pounds. But I guess it's impossible to get that right all the time.

I was just thinking if would-be dog owners had to do a little bit of work to get their dog - then they would value the dog more and be more thoughtful about its future welfare. The classifieds and pet shops just seem too easy. But I guess as long as advertising pets on the classifieds is ok for anyone then everyone should be able to.

What is the difference with advertising on DOL ?? Do people who source puppies from DOL mean there better owners??

Edited by showdog

When you look at the number of registered dogs in Australia from the entire dog population (I think 5%) then think about how many of those would end up in the pound you can see that the dogs ending up in pounds don't come from registered breeders. Stopping reg breeders from advertising in the classifieds would have no impact on dog numbers in pounds. I also agree that you need good breeders advertising alongside BYBers and puppy farmers so they have a better choice.

And then we have the issue of, how many dogs in pounds ARE from registered breeders? Not as many as their are mutts/crossbreeds/ byb pure breeds thats for sure. Kinda annoys me that we should breed for demand only but BYBers and Puppy farmers can breed unethically when every they like and get away with it.