How Old Have Your Last Dogs Lived?

Blackdogs

Foxy – German Shepherd – 16 years old, was put down because of old age. In the last two years of his life he was deaf as well. If I clapped my hands hard he could hear that and look at me.

Lucky – Kelpie – 15 years old was also put down due to old age, he was blind the last year of his life.

Both great family dogs, loved by all.

Both dogs had great lives :)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is such a beautiful thread, so many special dogs.

We gave our beloved Golden Retriever, Tiggy her wings at seven. She'd been suffering from awful seizures from what was suspected as a brain tumour. Tiggy came into my life when I was eight and just getting over my fear of dogs. She was a beautiful, loving and very special girl.

tig1.jpg

gif image hosting

I lost one of my blue merle Shelties at 18.5. He was bitten by a snake somewhere in my back yard. His heart,lungs,liver and kidneys were all still functioning 100% and he was neither blind nor deaf,but as the treatment was going to be extremely harsh on a dog of his age I chose to give him his wings. I remember it like it was yesterday even though it is a couple of years ago now.

post-21904-0-47852000-1331823192_thumb.jpg

My dog's nearly 11 ( I think) I can't be sure. I cant put my finger on a single primary breed however. She was a non owned camp dog when i picked her up, mangey wormy thing she was. who had a litter/s, still battles with skin outbreaks to this day.

Edited by GeckoTree

Everyone's friends who have left are beautiful.. and all waiting at Rainbow Bridge i'm sure.

Kane, Labrador, PTS at 13.5 due to multiple cancers, i too like to remember him in his younger days, not at at the end.

Tuffy, pedigree boxer, survived a bone infection and two general anaesthetics in her first two weeks of life to live to 14 years 7 months. She was put to sleep after a week's treatment for rapidly worsening heart failure was clearly not working.

Kostya, rescue boxer of unknown origin, was approximately 11 when he was put to sleep following a severe seizure probably caused by a brain tumour. He had had cancer for about three years, but the decision was made to support and treat him as long as he was happy and otherwise healthy, and he was perfectly so right up until the day he had the seizure.

Coco Miniture Poodle - 15.5, he had Cushing's disease for the last 3 years of his life, went to the Bridge (PTS) with kidney failure. He was my heart dog and is still sorely missed.

Zedley - Wire Haired Fox Terrier - 9, he went to the Bridge (PTS) after 9 grand mall seizures damaged his brain and he lost all cognitive function. He came to me after Coco passed and filled a hole in my heart.

Mitzi and Nena - Wire Haired Fox Terriers 14 and 16. Mitzi had cancer and was (PTS) and Nena committed suicide, also had cancer. Mother and daughter. Nena was my foundation bitch and Mitzi was her daughter. both been gone over 40 years.

Of the dogs I remember

Nala - rotti x lab pound dog, lived to 9yrs. Died in a freak accident, ate a fish that had a stingray barb in it. Stingray barb pierced the blood vessel in her tongue and she was unable to be saved. Our vet even tried at nearly midnight to bring her back - for free. I was only about 9 as well, it was a very sad time, the only time our family had no dog at all for a short while after her death.

Coco - kelpie x husky rescue, lived to 6 months. Another freak accident, after rehoming her with a family friend, she was bitten by a snake and found dead in a flower bed. She was a tiny little pup when she was found dumped on the side of teh road. OH's family wouldn't keep her, so my family and I took her in for 6 weeks until we found her a new home with a family friend.

It's been nearly 2 years exactly since Coco died, I miss her every day and cry if I think about her too much. 6 weeks with her was not long enough.

I'm lucky i've only said goodbye to two. Any more would be truly heartbreaking.

My parents had a Scotty X when I was born & he died when I was seven at about 13 yrs, dad was away for the weekend & he had cried all day. Dad had him PTS when he got home.

My 1st dog was bought as a Foxie X but mum used to say he could be ACD X because of the blue ticking on his legs. Could have also been a little Border Collie too as he was mostly black with a white blaze, ruff & legs all with the blue ticking. He was my 1st dog & so intelligent. He used to get out when Dad forgot to close the gates. The last time he never came back. Mum thought he was stolen as an insurance collector wanted to buy him but of course mum said not on your life, he's my daughter's dog.

Next I had a little black n tan terrier X. He could have been min pin or similar but he had ears like a corgi. He was a highly strung little dog & mum & dad eventually gave him to an old couple who spoiled him terribly.

As an adult my oh had a dog that his parents had bred. She was 1/4 poodle, 1/4 daschie, 1/2 some kind of hound. She came to live with us when we bought our house & lived to about 13. She had died overnight in her bed.

We then got a X border collie from the RSPCA. He was a lovely dog, followed my oh everywhere. We took him to visit relatives & he stayed around us all day coming to me each time my boys came back from a walk in the bush at the end of the street. When we were going home we couldn't find him. My cousin's daughter saw a dead dog on the side of the road & it was him. He was nearly 9.

Then I got my 1st pure bred Border Collie, my heart dog. She went to the bridge at exactly 7 weeks before her 15th birthday. She is in my sigpic, photo taken at 14 yrs 4 days. She was deaf, going blind & had dementia. It was very sad to see my best friend scared of me & get lost in the house or yard & cry because she couldn't find her way out. We found her dead in the backyard. I look at her lovely old face each time I post on DOL.

My parents had a Scotty X when I was born & he died when I was seven at about 13 yrs, dad was away for the weekend & he had cried all day. Dad had him PTS when he got home.

My 1st dog was bought as a Foxie X but mum used to say he could be ACD X because of the blue ticking on his legs. Could have also been a little Border Collie too as he was mostly black with a white blaze, ruff & legs all with the blue ticking. He was my 1st dog & so intelligent. He used to get out when Dad forgot to close the gates. The last time he never came back. Mum thought he was stolen as an insurance collector wanted to buy him but of course mum said not on your life, he's my daughter's dog.

Next I had a little black n tan terrier X. He could have been min pin or similar but he had ears like a corgi. He was a highly strung little dog & mum & dad eventually gave him to an old couple who spoiled him terribly.

As an adult my oh had a dog that his parents had bred. She was 1/4 poodle, 1/4 daschie, 1/2 some kind of hound. She came to live with us when we bought our house & lived to about 13. She had died overnight in her bed.

We then got a X border collie from the RSPCA. He was a lovely dog, followed my oh everywhere. We took him to visit relatives & he stayed around us all day coming to me each time my boys came back from a walk in the bush at the end of the street. When we were going home we couldn't find him. My cousin's daughter saw a dead dog on the side of the road & it was him. He was nearly 9.

Then I got my 1st pure bred Border Collie, my heart dog. She went to the bridge at exactly 7 weeks before her 15th birthday. She is in my sigpic, photo taken at 14 yrs 4 days. She was deaf, going blind & had dementia. It was very sad to see my best friend scared of me & get lost in the house or yard & cry because she couldn't find her way out. We found her dead in the backyard. I look at her lovely old face each time I post on DOL.

:hug: to you what a beautiful heart dog she is and all the amazing dogs you have loved through your life.