Ridiculous/awesome Names

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read in the weekend newspaper that actor, Sam Worthington, called his Cavalier, 'Bacon'. I don't know if he plans to get a second Cav named 'Eggs'. :)

He was quoted as saying he loves his dog, 'like a son'.

We were at a show once & I yelled out to ex-hubbie "Can you get Rambo for me?" Imagine the surprise on a few faces when out comes a sheltie :laugh: Not sure what type of breed they were expecting.

My Pyrenean Mountain Dog's name is Sasquatch (Sassy). If she had been a boy it was going to be Moth, short for Woolly Mammoth.

My Leo's registered name is Fire Ant, and I've always thought the shaded sable Leonberger colouring looked a little char-grilled, so I called her Singe. I wanted a pretty feminine name for my blue greyhound so she is Amethyst. She gets Ammo for short - not very feminine so that one didn't work out as planned :)

I have never called a pet with a person's name as my name is Sally and growing up I met quite a few cows named Sally!

We were at a show once & I yelled out to ex-hubbie "Can you get Rambo for me?" Imagine the surprise on a few faces when out comes a sheltie :laugh: Not sure what type of breed they were expecting.

We adopted an ex-show dog whose pedigree name is Zena Warrior Princess. Call name, Zena. Something big that takes no prisoners?

No, she's the gentlest natured little blonde tibbie, with a sweet face. So we put Nina in front of her name & she's become Nina Zena or NZ, for short (which makes people think she comes from New Zealand!) :)

My Dad's actually quite creative when it comes to naming pets. He'd love a dog, but living circumstances for a good number of years have meant cats only.

In the past he's had

Mojo

MauMau

Jumping Jack Flash

and recently (which is not quite so creative) Miss Kitty and Mr Kat.

Our current lot are:

DOGS

Pixie LuluBelle

Smudge

Tango

Charlie

Spud

Moose

Phoenix

CATS

Peanut

Henry

Willow

Kitty Pickles

MINI PIGGIES

Poppy Porkchops

Truffles

The geese are collectively known as Tweedle Dumb and Tweedle Dumber (there are four of them and never in my life have I encountered such stoopid animals!)

The chooks are collectively "The Cackleberry Quintet"

and our rooster is Mr Frizzle.

I also love the name Bruce for a dog or cat, but as my father-in-law's name is Bruce, it may not go down so well :laugh:

I met a cat named Bruce today. He was a very handsome fellow.

I had a friend at school who had a horse named Tristan. And I know someone who got a sheep for Christmas and called him Shank. When my Mum was a kid the family cat, a white female, was named Tiger, but her original name was GreasyPaw.

Edited by LappieHappy

My Dad was the cause of our pets odd names. Cats were fat man, jabby, grunt, boof head and piggy. Dogs were pretty conservative with saber (sheltie x border collie), major ( samoyed x) , Jess (border colllie) , and Sheba ( border collie).

Guest Clover

Tinny & Elvis, and the newest Border Collie pup..... Dawes (who is a girl :o ). Dawes also gets Dawesey, Dawesey pawsey, Dawdles etc :laugh:.

In the future i will have a Franklin, Flipper (would have suited Dawes) & Eccy.

So many great names! I've been reading thinking mine all have pretty standard names then read about the dogs called Chops and realised that that's my oldest cat's name. I'm so used to it that it doesn't seem weird anymore, hehehe. She was called that coz when I first adopted her she would bite anyone that so much as walked past her.

As kids we had cats with the super creative names Puss and Kitty. My guinea pig was Snuffy and my sister's was Harry. Turned out Harry was a girl, which we discovered when she got very fat then 4 new little guinea pigs arrived. We named them Leonardo, Donatello, Raphael and Michaelangelo after the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Ah yes, the problem of not knowing how to identify the sex of a rabbit led to my early childhood rabbit, Arthur, being renamed Martha after she got out one day and met up with the rabbit down the road, and kindled nine kits some weeks later. I suspect that was and still is a fairly common problem! Did Harry become Harriet?

Haha, Lappie, we were assured by the market pet shop that Harry was a girl, we had no idea. She did remain Harry after becoming a mum (we found homes for the babies) but little Snuffy got neutered. Mum tells me that he was the first guinea pig the vet had desexed and that he was apparently QUITE well endowed compared to most other animals ;)

When I was in year 6 , one of the girls in my class got a kitten. Her parents ordered it from a breeder in another state. They decided on a pretty little ginger female...... When she arrived off the plane, she was a HE!!! They rang the breeder who apologised and said that the two gingers in the litter looked the same...... she sent the wrong one! >.<

The family had already gotten all the necessary kitten stuff (in pink and inscribed) and so Matilda he was and still is!

Ah yes, the problem of not knowing how to identify the sex of a rabbit led to my early childhood rabbit, Arthur, being renamed Martha after she got out one day and met up with the rabbit down the road, and kindled nine kits some weeks later. I suspect that was and still is a fairly common problem! Did Harry become Harriet?

We bought a "female" rabbit which I named Sweet Pea, and a "Male" Guinea Pig which my brother named Coloured.

Sweet Pea and Coloured were more than just friends IYKWIM and would hump on the odd occasion, and one day we woke up to find itsy bitsy baby Guinea Pigs in the hutch.....of course I thought that they had babies together (I was about 7) but then Mum informed me that Coloured, who was obviously a girl must have been pregnant in the pet shop :laugh: We called the babies Snowy (white) and Coloured No 2 (coloured) :laugh:

We bought a "female" rabbit which I named Sweet Pea, and a "Male" Guinea Pig which my brother named Coloured.

Sweet Pea and Coloured were more than just friends IYKWIM and would hump on the odd occasion, and one day we woke up to find itsy bitsy baby Guinea Pigs in the hutch.....of course I thought that they had babies together (I was about 7) but then Mum informed me that Coloured, who was obviously a girl must have been pregnant in the pet shop :laugh: We called the babies Snowy (white) and Coloured No 2 (coloured) :laugh:

It's entirely possible that Sweet Pea was a girl. Rabbits use humping as a dominance tool just like dogs do but more so, and in rabbits the girls are often the bosses, and bigger and stronger than the males. They will also hump cats, chickens, corn-on-the-cob (hump one end while eating the other - efficiency!), legs and just about anything else. I used to keep rabbits, and Jane Doe, my alpha, was most definitely queen of the yard and made sure the boys knew it by humping them frequently, while she made Juliet the omega doe's life so miserable that I had to keep them seperated. Both boys were desexed in adulthood when I adopted them and both were completely mature and "male" in outlook, but Jane completely dominated. Oliver BunBuck, my second boy, was rehomed to me because he spent too much time humping his rescuer's chickens and the poor chickens were getting stressed.

Non-desexed male rabbits and guinea pigs are usually VERY obvious when you look :laugh:

Come to think of it, I did get some odd reactions from people when I told them that my original two rabbits were named Jane Doe and Buck Rogers. When I was building them an awesome new hutch I got a most disgusted reaction from the girl at the hardware store, who thought I was a psycho :rofl:

Edited by LappieHappy