Winter

ludwig09

Hi everyone,

I am very sad that day light savings is over and the daylight hours are going to get shorter as winter arrives. We love our after work walks with the dogs each evening. My question is how do you excercice your dogs during winter when it is dark in the morning and evening? I suggested to my husband a Miners torch to wear on our heads but he thinks i am completely nuts for suggesting that :rofl:

Would love to hear what others do?

My dogs are exercised the same as always in the mornings, up at 6am for walks and then late afternoon walks now about 6pm.

Your husband might laugh but I wear a head torch if it is getting dark or if one need to be taken out at night :thumbsup: they are excellent.

As I live on acres, I need all the light I can get >>> don't want to step on anything slithery or bump into a wombat. :walkdog: No Nasty surprises with a dog on the lead.

I walk in the dark too - only difference to summer is it's dark and I look more like a snowman rolling down the road due to all the layers I wear so I don't freeze my touche off!

I can't say I enjoy winter and non-daylight savings time at all!!

ATM I am not confident walking in the dark due to an ankle injury- I do however live near a football field so my dogs get walked on nights when there is sports on and the lights are on. On the other nights I play fetch and set up treat balls etc or do extra trick/obedience training

Our exercise doesn't change at all.....not sure why it should?

If anything I love the winter better because it's cooler to be able to exercise the dogs at a decent time.

On weekdays when I walk after OH gets home, I walk a different route in the winter to areas with better lighting, on weekends I do the same routes as in summer as I can do them earlier in the day as it is cooler.

Winter time we can also add bush walks as part of our exercise fun as the ticks aren't as bad here as in the summer, they are still around though.

So we usually go 2 hour bush on the w.ends when OH is home & they can finish off with a swim. They love it as it is a different form of stimulation & lots

more mountains & hilly terrain. :)

I'm not much help, I just walk in the dark :laugh:

Same here! just chuck a small torch in my pocket so I can find poo deposits (Kuma insists on crapping at the darkest spot on our walk)

As it gets colder I look more and more like the Michelin man with layers of warm clothing - Kuma on the other hand revels in the cool conditions.

We walk in the dark, with a torch. The dark doesn't bother me much in winter, but the cold sure does!!!!!!!!!!! I hate coming home from work to get comfy in front of the fire with a hot meal...... and then have to go out again into the freezing cold. Blargh winter, go away! Some evenings my dog gives me the stink eye when I ask her to go for a walk.. she's all curled up in a ball and warm in front of the fireplace and then when I get her leash she looks at me then turns her back on me, "Oh do we haaave to walk!??! I'm sleeping!!!"

In summer as soon as I look at the leash she's by the door wagging her tail. :eek:

Once we're out the door she's happy again tho. :D It's just the initial moaning and groaning that we both have to go through, hahaha.

We walk not matter what. Only exception is a dangerous storm. They hate the rain but once they start walking they're fine. I've looked at a headtorch before - daggy, but would make things a bit easier.

For those of you who walk in the dark - are your walks onlead only? Do you find your dogs get enough exercise?

For me our walks are onlead only during winter (as I can't see them at the park) and I find when we first start with onlead only they are bouncing off the walls for the first few weeks while they adjust. Having said that they sleep all day on weekends after our park walks :D