Hot Spot

Our dog Chase (golden retriever) has just been to the vet with what we thought was a tiny spot on his head, we assumed he had hit his head on the underneath of the trampoline and had a small cut. Hubby just bought him home and his whole head has been shaved down to his neck and he has approx 6 hot spots brewing under the hair! We had no idea he had these, and we are all over him every day. He is on antibiotics, and a special powder and cream the question is if there is anything extra we can give him or put on him to make him more comfortable? Are there any dietary things that could help?

He is on Bonnie and raw food, we just put the creams and powders on and he just whimpered, poor boy

also his head feels quite warm to touch, is that normal?

Edited by goldbaby

My 1st Border Collie used to get crusty sores from flea allergy & the vet prescribed an iodine solution that I had to dilute 10parts water to 1 part iodine. It used to clear it up straight away.

A friend recommended Bonnie Working Dog for my dogs but when I saw the ingredient list I wouldn't use it. I can't find anything on the Purina website re ingredients but from memory wheat was the 1st ingred.

We have been bathing his head in a Betadine solution the vet told us to use and he has taken his antibiotics and cream this morning. We might go to the pet food warehouse and have a look for a different food, as a Golden Retriever he is a typical hoover and will eat whatever food we put in front of him so Im not worried about giving him something new. We will give him some chicken and rice until then

I have always had good results on hotspots when using Preparation-H or any other good anti-haemorrhoidal creams. They contain an antiseptic to heal and dry as well as an anaesthetic which helps to prevent the itchies which are often the thing that stops healing because the dog won't leave the site alone.

Our Jack Russell gets hot spots and I find if I shave the spot where the hot spot is and give it a spray with Cetrigen it dries it out.( its bright pink)

As someone else said you need to keep them dry, if your dogs do lots of swimming leaving them wet can cause hot spots. Not sure where you are but we are in Qld so the high temperatures and humidity are great for producing hot spots.

http://www.virbac.com.au/p-virbacaupuben/display.aspx?srv=p-virbacau&typ=pub〈=en&cmd=view&style=styles/specie.xsl&select=PRODUCT%5B@ID$eq$PRODUCT_252%5D&affp=&

Bonnie will most likely be causing him to break out. Have a careful read of the ingredients. I would def suggest changing the dry, maybe even switch over fully to raw.

Keep up with the treatement, sounds like you are doing alright with it so far, what is the creme they gave you to put on there?

Have you treated for fleas, vaccinated, or had him wet alot?

Remove the dry food......................

1. Shave the area (as your vet has done)

2. Clean with the old listerine. the brown one

3. Get some sulphur powder from a compounding chemist. Wait till listerine is dry and pat on sulphur

4. Repeat at least 3 times a day

5. When dry and scab has formed, dot on Lucas Paw Paw ointment. Dont rub in just dot on.

Colloidal silver is also very good

Remove the dry food......................

1. Shave the area (as your vet has done)

2. Clean with the old listerine. the brown one

3. Get some sulphur powder from a compounding chemist. Wait till listerine is dry and pat on sulphur

4. Repeat at least 3 times a day

5. When dry and scab has formed, dot on Lucas Paw Paw ointment. Dont rub in just dot on.

Colloidal silver is also very good

I get in early with Chlorhexadine then curash these days and generally manage to keep most of the coat in the area of a hot spot.

Just make sure with the Paw Paw that the area really has dried out 100%- I found out the hard way that it makes the perfect environment for bacteria that create the environment (I used it on clipper rash that turned into a hot spot). The Paw Paw is great for the scabs though!

I have rarely had a hotspot fail to respond to Curash.

I don't clip the coat away there is no need if using the powder as the area will be dry, also I don't apply any creams or lotions.

High humidity and a dog with a heavy or double coat that stays damp, reaction to diet or irritation from fleas can all cause hotspots.

Out of interest, have you had his thyroid checked? I was speaking to someone today that had a Goldy, he had hypothyroidism and had severe allergies....amongst alot of other things, poor thing was PTS at only 2

WOW I wish I could cure them without shaving :( -I have tried EVERYTHING over the past 30 years and have found the only effective way (on pugs) is to open the area up to air - so shave and then hit it with sulphur... Totally agree that the scab must be formed (as I said) prior to using the paw paw ointment!