Docking Of Tails

wantsapuppy

Personally I prefer tails. I don't know a great deal about breeds that have traditionally docked. But I have wondered (& would love to hear some info from those with relevant breeds), other than "because it is in the breed standard" & "personal preference" what is the reason that different breeds have/had tails docked? Some of them I can sort of figure it out from what little I know, but others I don't really know any background, so would be interested to know how it all came about if you know & would like to share!!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it quite rare now that a judge will discriminate against a tail - even the judges from countries with docking... but yes it can happen. The outline and movement of an OES is a huge illusion - when they have a tail they no longer look like the cobby, square breed that they should be, and it takes a judge who knows what they are looking for and puts their hands on the dogs to really determine correct proportions.

I have no issue with those who are importing from NZ with docked dogs etc - if they are willing to spend the money to do it, good luck to them...

Its more complicated when you have a breed with the NBT - Its rare to see an Australian Shepherd win in the ring if it has a tail - Unfortunately it still seems the preference, yet even a natural bob tail aussie could be born with a bob, quarter, half, three quarter tail - but still usually only see the 'full bob' in the ring..... in fact the aussie shepherd club website shows the standard as:

Quote : TAIL Is straight, docked or naturally bobbed, not to exceed four inches in length. End Quote

This would seem to go against the regulations about not docking...... as in effect they are saying a dog with more than 4 inches is incorrect.

Thanks Adnil444. I think they are absolutely gorgeous as well :D

Pretty Miss Emma, there are many possible reasons for the docking of Rottweilers' tails.

Rottweilers were originally breed as working dogs herding cattle for the Roman armies during the Crusades. It is thought that their tails were docked to prevent the tails getting covered in mud and faeces as they moved the stock, which made the tails prone to injury and infection. This was a bad thing as veterinary care was pretty much non existent in those days or in the areas being covered during invasion. Thus it was a preventative measure against injury and infection.

Later in history the Rottweiler acted as the butcher's dog. They would herd the stock to slaughter, then pull the cart with all meat in it to market. Again it could have been a preventative move to dock the tail to prevent injury during the pulling of the carts.

It is also thought that they were docked by the farmer to avoid having to pay a "tail tax" as counting tails was a method used to count livestock, which were then taxed according to the number.

Another popular belief for tail docking in Rottweilers is that it makes them look more fierce, which suited their secondary role of guard/police/military dog. Apart from protecting the farmer's money when returning from market, the Rottweiler was not primarily used in this roll until World War 1. This may be one reason for docking in modern times, but the Rottweiler was originally bred as a working dog, so injury prevention is the most likely reason for docking to have occurred.

A dog is more than just a tail. They all have character. They all have beauty. They know how to have fun. They are all loyal and loving. A dog is so much more than a tail. I know, as I own ones with and without and I would not change each individual dog for anything :D

Picture504.jpg

IMGP2172.jpg

Aw I love these two pictures! Gorgeous dogs :D lol

In a lot of the traditionally docked breeds it was to serve the purpose of avoiding injury while hunting, herding or working as a guard dog. At least that was the theory, and I have heard that people who hunt with pointers or spaniels would prefer to be able to dock still for exactly this reason.

Watching Duke hunt mice inside - if he'd been in a barn with farm working equipment, there would have been blood all over the place. That tail could double as a lethal weapon! Also, there are times you have to yank them out of holes they won't come out of - docking meant you grabbed the thick part of the tail rather than the thin part which could be damaged by such an action. (Oh yes, talking about Irish Terriers)

Thanks Adnil444. I think they are absolutely gorgeous as well :D

Pretty Miss Emma, there are many possible reasons for the docking of Rottweilers' tails.

Rottweilers were originally breed as working dogs herding cattle for the Roman armies during the Crusades. It is thought that their tails were docked to prevent the tails getting covered in mud and faeces as they moved the stock, which made the tails prone to injury and infection. This was a bad thing as veterinary care was pretty much non existent in those days or in the areas being covered during invasion. Thus it was a preventative measure against injury and infection.

Later in history the Rottweiler acted as the butcher's dog. They would herd the stock to slaughter, then pull the cart with all meat in it to market. Again it could have been a preventative move to dock the tail to prevent injury during the pulling of the carts.

It is also thought that they were docked by the farmer to avoid having to pay a "tail tax" as counting tails was a method used to count livestock, which were then taxed according to the number.

Another popular belief for tail docking in Rottweilers is that it makes them look more fierce, which suited their secondary role of guard/police/military dog. Apart from protecting the farmer's money when returning from market, the Rottweiler was not primarily used in this roll until World War 1. This may be one reason for docking in modern times, but the Rottweiler was originally bred as a working dog, so injury prevention is the most likely reason for docking to have occurred.

On the subject of "trimmings that enhance a fierce appearance". I've often wondered how the Rottie escaped the ear trimming that the Dobes/Danes were/are subject to in an attempt to enhance a fierce appearance?

A dog is more than just a tail. They all have character. They all have beauty. They know how to have fun. They are all loyal and loving. A dog is so much more than a tail. I know, as I own ones with and without and I would not change each individual dog for anything :D

IMGP0202.jpg

IMGP0380.jpg

Picture504.jpg

Picture464.jpg

Picture491.jpg

IMGP6012.jpg

IMGP2172.jpg

Gorgeous doggies makes me almost want to get a rottie . Just gorgeous

It will be interesting to see if any dogs entered at the Sydney Royal have docked tails. Last year I saw Dobermans, Weis, & Rotties with docked tails.

I would think so. There are still plenty of dogs around who were docked prior to the ban.

The ban in nsw came into effect in 2003, so still plenty of dogs around, my '01' JRT was docked before i picked her, I really wish she had a tail :(

The ones I saw last year were in the junior & intermediate classes so definitely after the NSW ban.

At least one doberman breeder that I know of was sending their bitches to WA to whelp & pup's tails docked. We had one come to my obedience club a few years ago & then I saw one at my vets. They had both been whelped in WA. Now that it's illegal Aust wide I've heard that some breeders are now sending their bitches to New Zealand.

It will be interesting to see if any dogs entered at the Sydney Royal have docked tails. Last year I saw Dobermans, Weis, & Rotties with docked tails.

There are heaps of Dobe breeders sending to NZ to whelp, just have a look at the puppy pages on dol.

I have no idea what you have to pay for these puppies, but it annoys me that you have to compete against these dogs and as far as I know the standard hasn't been amended to include the standards for an undocked tail. They don't allow dobes with cropped ears to compete in the ring so I don't get why the imported dogs with docked tails are allowed to.

Yes I have major sour grapes with this :laugh:

I first found out about this on a DOL thread last year when the OP was concerned about the wound on the pup's tail not healing after quite some time.

Edited by luvsdogs

I'll admit grumpette looking at you photos my first thought was that the dogs with tails looked less 'scary'! It's funny isn't it.

I grew up with an old stockman with JRT's so never had an issue with tail docking, but it is what it is. I'm surprised hunters aren't allowed a cruelty prevention clause of docking to prevent injury, but then I suppose how do you prove they are legit?! Shame.

Ear docking on the other hand, I can't stand the look of.

I had 2 docked Rottis born '96, gone now. Rotti's tails are weapons of mass destruction.

I have friends with tailed Rotts and you have to watch them, especially around kids. The tails, that is, not the dog, as any Rott lover would know.

I'll admit grumpette looking at you photos my first thought was that the dogs with tails looked less 'scary'! It's funny isn't it.

I grew up with an old stockman with JRT's so never had an issue with tail docking, but it is what it is. I'm surprised hunters aren't allowed a cruelty prevention clause of docking to prevent injury, but then I suppose how do you prove they are legit?! Shame.

Ear docking on the other hand, I can't stand the look of.

In the UK there is a loop hole that allows those who breed a working litter (and I think have a shot gun license) to still be able to dock certain breeds - terriers and gundogs.

I had 2 docked Rottis born '96, gone now. Rotti's tails are weapons of mass destruction.

I have friends with tailed Rotts and you have to watch them, especially around kids. The tails, that is, not the dog, as any Rott lover would know.

:laugh: You remind me of my friends old German shorthaired pointer. Her tail used to clear the coffee table and leave brusies on your calves!! :eek: Admittenly she was poorly trained and a hazard indoors until age slowed her down.

beauceron.jpg

the bauceron didnt.

The difference between a danes/dobes ears and a rotties is quite substantial. Rotties have better ones ;)

still dont like the tail look on the docked breeds.

Yes!

To my eye, a docked tail makes the dog look chunkier than when it has a tail.

Having owned a two docked breeds (Dobes & Poodles) I am now getting used to the non docked appearance. I have also noted in the Dobermanns (correct me if I am wrong) that are still not impNZ and docked. Is this unusual? Would these dogs require addition certification?