How Many Dogs?

ash1

We currently have six dogs and when I tell people how many dogs I have, they look at me as though I have two heads. "How many?!!"

We have three senior citizens, a Chihuahua and a Pomeranian (who is smaller than the chi) and a German Shepherd

A middle-aged Cattle Dog

and two large mixed breed pups (Dobe/Husky and Bull Arab)

Actually I guess I could say I have four and a half dogs as the two little girls barely make up one whole dog between them, they are so tiny. :laugh:

All our dogs live inside with us, we have recently moved to a teeny tiny little cottage and so I am constantly tripping over slumbering bodies lying in the most inconvenient places (and never make it to a ringing phone in time as a result), but our pack mixes very well and we wouldn't have it any other way.

We also have four cats and two minipigs, all of whom sleep inside at night. My mother constantly despairs for my sanity, but hubby and I are happy with our "family".

Anyway, what is the largest number of dogs you have ever owned at one time (not including foster dogs or working dogs, but true family pets)? Guess I just want to prove to myself (despite advice to the contrary) that I am not barking mad (sorry, couldn't resist!)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If I had 126 acres, with a large section safely cleared and fenced for the dogs (and didn't have to work and could still afford all this), then I'd have at least 6 myself laugh.gif I'd love to have lots of dogs about the place one day. But for now, two will have to suffice :)

My family has strictly been a one dog family until nearly 3 years ago when I brought Zeus home.

We've only ever had one dog and one cat at a time but since Zeus they're a bit more open. They won't go more than 2 dogs as "two's enough" and I'd love another cat but Calypso would have a panic attack if I brought home a second cat.

The only animal we've had lots of is fish and my brother currently has two tanks set up!

If I had 126 acres, with a large section safely cleared and fenced for the dogs (and didn't have to work and could still afford all this), then I'd have at least 6 myself laugh.gif I'd love to have lots of dogs about the place one day. But for now, two will have to suffice :)

Yep me too lol

I'd love to get another dog so we would have three, I think that would still be manageable for us but until we get a permit it ain't happening :(

This is the first time I've had two dogs. I think I could go to three, probably a boy and two girls but I'd have to be very careful about temperament and i certainly wouldn't get another while I had Grumpy.

Grumpy and Mini are very well matched. He cares about two things: food and toys. Anything else, he will tell her off if she gets too annoying but that's it. She adores him but is independent of him at the same time. Luck of the draw but given the terrier temperament, I'd look to this above anything else.

I have 3 and another on the way in 4 weeks, always had 4 dogs but my old girl past away 3 months ago and the house has been so empty since. :( but I'm sure that will change soon with a little puppy around the place. My family think I'm the crazy dog lady but I think im just lucky to have them in my life. It's funny in a way, my partner is a cat man and I'm a dog person, he has he's cat snuggled up on his lap at night. I can't Evan see my lap with three dogs on it, lol

Currently have 4 - 1 large (pittyxrotti)1x mid (dingoxwhippet) and 2 small (mini poodle and small munchkin) so we have a few lol. I would love to get another large breed dog as the big dog has such a calm placid temp that I want another like him. He is 11 this year, and I want another large dog to use him as the mentor while growing up. We also have fish, chooks and ducks and budgies. I want to add a couple of sheep and a horse to that, lucky we have 5 acres.

When people ask me that question.....I say " Too many!!" :laugh:

I have 4, about to be 5. 4 is a good number, I did not find is any more diffcult than 3. I really did not want to go to 5, but I really want a pup a specific litter and for me now is a better time for a crazy puppy that in a few years.

When I tell people I have 4 they look at me like I am mad.......especially when I tell them they are not small dogs! I think I am going to have to start using Poodle Mums line when we go to 5.

We have 9, and will likely go to 11 after Link is bred early next year.

They consist of 2 elderly terrier mixes (13 and 11- although the 11 year old is still fitter and younger in the head than anyone else in the pack LOL).

Then the border collies are 10, 8, 7, 5, 4, 21months, and 16months old.

We are on 15 acres but they are never outside unsupervised and not permitted in the paddocks during summer due to snakes. They all live with us in the house as indoor dogs, although they are never all out at the same time due to pack dynamics in enclosed spaces. The most we usually have out is 7 with the pups put in a big pen to play. The 3 youngest are crated at night.

i'd love to have more, but I have 3 and a foater, 2 parrots and care for 3 horses, thats plenty to care for more would be too hard and they'd miss out on time spent and training i think ,

I dont think it matters how big your house is, dogs always lay in the wrong place :rofl:

We used to have 2 , they passed away about 4 yrs ago (within 6mths of each other they were both about 13) Now we have one ESS (field) she will be 3 in June. We also have my son's 7mth old Lab who has been with us since 8 wks old, son and his GF are living here too. Was only meant to be for a few mths but will most likely be another 6mths or so (building a house, saving money by not having to rent). Our girl has adapted really well to the pup so we are thinking of getting another when they finally get their new house, just got to talk the OH into it, will probably get another spaniel, not sure that I could manage more than 2 but it is nice to see them playing ect.

We have 9, and will likely go to 11 after Link is bred early next year.

They consist of 2 elderly terrier mixes (13 and 11- although the 11 year old is still fitter and younger in the head than anyone else in the pack LOL).

Then the border collies are 10, 8, 7, 5, 4, 21months, and 16months old.

We are on 15 acres but they are never outside unsupervised and not permitted in the paddocks during summer due to snakes. They all live with us in the house as indoor dogs, although they are never all out at the same time due to pack dynamics in enclosed spaces. The most we usually have out is 7 with the pups put in a big pen to play. The 3 youngest are crated at night.

Hurrah! Someone more "barking mad" than me :laugh:

Hmmm, starts to think about dog number seven :D

Our four older dogs have free run of the house at all times, the pups sleep in the bedroom adjoining ours (weird house layout, you enter this bedroom through our bedroom) with a gate barrier at night, and are also put in there if I go out (I work from home, so am with the dogs most of the time).

Our two minipigs also sleep inside at night (they have a pen in the lounge), but are outside in their yard all day. The cats live in the "cattery" (huge enclosed area) during the day then have free range of the cattery and the house at night.

There is constant fur absolutely EVERYWHERE but what outfit is complete without a bit of pet hair?

We have 4: my 3 border collies (12 years, 10 years, 2 years) and OH's Brittany pup (3 months). Plus one cat. I would like to have 2 cats as I have always had 2 and I love cats, but I had this rule that we have FOUR animals in total maximum, when the old cat died it was down to 4 for a whole year :) before we got the puppy. The older dogs are quite healthy and think we will have them both for a couple of years yet at least. When they are gone I will get that 2nd kitty.