Why I'm Glad I Didn't Go Grey Or Online....

jr_inoz

Am very very glad that I decided to buy the camera from a store and not online (as I came close to doing). These are the first three photos taken on the new 7D.

Camera store exchanged straight away.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

mind you - rommy doesn't look that bad split in half and in green and pink....

Friend suggested I get them printed onto canvas and sold as "art"

Turns out it was a corrupt processor. Store was excellent to deal with. I would not have been happy if I had to re-package and mail back, then wait for repairs or replace.... Would have sucked.

Wow that's great that they changed it over right away. I agree nothing but PITA if you have to post stuff back.

Any images from your new one yet? What do you think of it?

Wow that's great that they changed it over right away. I agree nothing but PITA if you have to post stuff back.

Any images from your new one yet? What do you think of it?

Yep - there are some in this thread "Snook the Enabler" named this way because Snook's comments in another thread were what tipped me over the edge to buy it...... but here are two from today (with a borrowed sigma 70 - 200mm f2.8 lens)

gawlerkc-7.jpg

gawlerkc-1.jpg

that must have been very disappointing, lucky you were able to take it back. Yep, you certainly take a chance buying grey, but the way I looked at it was that if I was to buy 2nd hand it would be an even bigger risk because it wouldn't be covered at all if there was a fault. Grey market is as cheap as buying 2nd hand but hopefully you get a brand new article and again, hopefully it will be perfect, if not it will at least be repaired, even if somewhat inconveniently.

that must have been very disappointing, lucky you were able to take it back. Yep, you certainly take a chance buying grey, but the way I looked at it was that if I was to buy 2nd hand it would be an even bigger risk because it wouldn't be covered at all if there was a fault. Grey market is as cheap as buying 2nd hand but hopefully you get a brand new article and again, hopefully it will be perfect, if not it will at least be repaired, even if somewhat inconveniently.

Currently - the difference in price between a grey import and the one I bought was $287 - minus any tax that might get applied if the box gets stopped by customs on the way in (been happening to DWI customers and their imports lately) - not a lot of difference - and if customs had been applied, would have been the same price I think.

Not a huge difference to pay in the scheme of things. (My camera cost $1485 - Diamonds price matched the best online price for a non grey import I found that was advertised that day) A good price I thought.

Did they look like that on the camera view screen?

I have been having a big play with my new 7D and they look fine but I have not uploaded them to the computer yet..

Glad they replaced it easy for you...

Yep - that is how they looked on the view screen - so don't panic.

Currently - the difference in price between a grey import and the one I bought was $287 - minus any tax that might get applied if the box gets stopped by customs on the way in (been happening to DWI customers and their imports lately) - not a lot of difference - and if customs had been applied, would have been the same price I think.

Not a huge difference to pay in the scheme of things. (My camera cost $1485 - Diamonds price matched the best online price for a non grey import I found that was advertised that day) A good price I thought.

That's interesting to know about Diamonds. I was looking at buying my new camera body from CameraPro as they seem to be the cheapest non-grey retailer but if Diamonds will price match with them I'd rather buy it from a local Diamonds store in case there are any issues. I'll still be getting my lenses from DWI though as they're a fair bit cheaper even with GST added and as I understand it, Canon Australia will honour the warranty on grey lenses (just not camera bodies).

Yep - I bought my 18-200mm IS canon lens from DWI for that reason and am happy. Am close to thinking I will get the sigma the same way when I can afford it. At the moment there is $260 price difference between a grey import and an in store price on this lens, so might go grey. But being something that is over that $1000 mark - it would add $120 to the price on the import if it gets stopped at customs.... so still thinking about it. For anything that comes in under that $1000 mark, am very happy to go grey.

Did they look like that on the camera view screen?

I have been having a big play with my new 7D and they look fine but I have not uploaded them to the computer yet..

Glad they replaced it easy for you...

Yep - that is how they looked on the view screen - so don't panic.

Wow, I agree, that is a very good price! Yes, you definitely were better off buying where you did. I bought mine grey before Customs started clamping down in imports. I forgot about the 10% now added on to the overall price. Definitely worth shopping around and I just might even go look at Diamonds myself! Never heard of them before. Are they based in SA? I wonder if someone interstate bought from them would they have to post it back if a problem arose, or could they send it directly to Canon? Hmm, I'd like to find a seller as competetive in Vic!

Edited by Kirislin

Here's the link to DWI http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/store/index.asp but I am seriously changing my tune about buying from them for the purchases over $1000 even though in an earlier post I was saying why I thought it was worthwhile, that's changed now due to customs. Have a look at the thread I've just started asking for competitive retailers in Australia, it might be worth you comparing prices with them too before you lash out and spend big bucks.

Thanks Snook! I spent about $2400 and had no problems with FedEx(other than delivery dramas) or customs, and my parents spent $1500 the week after and also had no problems. Maybe it's just the luck of the draw??

Thanks Snook! I spent about $2400 and had no problems with FedEx(other than delivery dramas) or customs, and my parents spent $1500 the week after and also had no problems. Maybe it's just the luck of the draw??

No issues for me either... my camera from DigitalRev was just over $1000 and was here within a few days.

My second purchase of lens, tripod and filter was much lower in cost so probably wouldn't have raised any eyebrows. Tho I have just had to return the tripod, one of the legs won't extend, so we'll see how that goes!