Getting Dogs To Bark At People Entering Yard (as They Are Hitting Dad

01kismet

Hi,

I'm after ideas on how to get my dog to bark at people entering our yard. Bark only basically she lives inside with us so can't get to them out the front when they come to the door. But I would like her to bark, she is a German Shepherd and basically she does nothing.

Our situation is we have our house and Dad's granny flat is attached to it(with an internal entrance and also his own front + back door too), Dad meet a poor woman who had been beat up by her partner and gave her money, she lives in our area so after the first time he bumped into her again and gave her more money, repeat for a 3rd time he gave her money and our address, she is now turning up at about 6am and asking him for money and saying she'll walk him to the bank (and bringing a male friend to keep them safe :)) any way we slept through it, dog didn't bark, her sister turned up this afternoon etc.

I'd just like the dog to bark, I'm quite willing to go out and say he's not home, head them off etc if the dog barks so I know they are here. I'm thinking of asking some strangers to approach the house and if she barks doing treats but will that work ?

Again she is an inside dog so sounding scary is not an issue, she can't get out to them at all. Dad is in his late 70's so doesn't say no. The lady has been though his place (maybe scoping it out ? maybe I'm paranoid) but since I can't trained Dad I'd like to train the dog. Suggestion greatfully received, thanks

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would the sight of the dog do the trick? Could you leave the dog with him overnight?

When i lived in a remote area, i used to answer the door holding onto my dogs collar, they soon baked up when they saw her.

Would the sight of the dog do the trick? Could you leave the dog with him overnight?

When i lived in a remote area, i used to answer the door holding onto my dogs collar, they soon baked up when they saw her.

I don't want to sound mean about dad but he's kinda special (must be the old age) he'd go on about how friendly they are, he is telling stories about us as it is (nothing bad but how $ is no object when it comes to our pets etc) We are going to shut the gate and we could leave them out the front (we have 2 dogs but our boys 12 so we don't expect much from him) but that leaves them to risk, I'd rather the girl just bark which she doens't do at all....

Not when people come in the yard, knock at the door, sing out, etc etc, she just doesn't bark. I'm thinking we can lock the screen and have her inside but I want her to bark once people knock or come to the door and sing out.

I don't want the person/people coming around finding out she is friendly as they'll just waltz on through and I don't want my dogs or family in danger. I figure if she's is inside barking all is good :)

Why don't you wait for them to turn up and have a local police officer there? They're scamming.

yes, yes they are, and they multiple :) I was going to ring the police tomorrow and ask for advice (today being ANZAC I thought they may be busy) but Dad won't say 'no" to them and with 2 small boys at home I don't want to put the people off side and have a mob turn up (it could be rather messy).

Unfortunatly I don't think there is any getting through to dad so I'd rather head them off before they reach him, the dog barking would help me do that. He (dad) sits with them out the front, then the smoking starts, the swearing and stories of how sad their life is (which it maybe but still its not their $ and dad doesn't want to give more)

At 6 am we are not up so can't save him as such, if the dog barks we can get up and sticky beak (making up a story like i did today, where dad and i went out so they had to leave, while the hubby and kids stayed home so the house was occupied) Sounds bad, but it started as 1 lady he felt sorry for and helped, then the lady and her friend turned up to help dad to the bank and then the ladies sister turned up looking for the original lady :S (since the original lady and dad are such good friends). I don't really know that it is a police matter as such (dad being the way he is) but I will ring them tomorrow

Yes. I would be calling the police and alerting them of your poor Dad's situation. Maybe bring him in the house with you for a while so if they come no-one is in the granny flat to deal with and also maybe you might find another way to head them off.

Set the alarm to be ready for them, have your Dad not answer the door etc...so he stops contact with them totally.

As for your dog...well good luck :)

Edited by FlyingFurball

Inform the police & neighborhood watch,even the council if need be .

Your dog barking won't make any difference .

Personally i would be setting the alarm & getting up at 6am no matter how much of a pain it is & being seen ,

I would also be having a chat with your dad & letting him no you fell uncomfortable with them there especially with young kids/grandkids & that it isn't right.

These people have options at there so being money poor doesn't cut it .

The fact they wish to walk him to the bank is the biggest alarm bells & needs addressing

If you taught her to speak you could cue that to your gate. Plenty of tips on youtube to get you started. Imagine a non alerting shepherd. Who knew! :o)

my bold but Thanks ! good idea and we can go with that, we were working on speak this afternoon :)

Non alerting shepherd, oh yeah, we have Sierra our girl (pedigree) and Kilkenny our boy 12 yrs and a X, non alerting totally. Spoilt lazy creatures they are, I've meet one other - a young female and meets me at her gate with kiss's ! I think I've reinforced the non barking in all of them with my greeting unfortunately. We can get Sierra hyped up enough to whinge/whine atm (when the husband whines and carries on) so we'll keep going until we get a bark and go from there, will have to change to the speak cue too. Picture of our lazy sods should be attached. (had to laugh the old boy barked before she did)

Thanks

I don't think you can make a dog alert bark. They are either territorial or they're not...

You could teach her to bark on cue as suggested but whether or not it would carry through to a complete stranger opening the gate is debatable. Either way it won't happen overnight and you need a solution now.

I'd be investing in one of those cheap novelty sensor alarms (like the rooster statues that crow when a person walks past) and placing between the gate and the door. You can get all kinds of LOUD annoying sounds, get a few of them -it'll certainly alert you that someone is there! I know of a few people who have placed them just inside their front door to see what time their kids are actually coming home on a night too.laugh.gif

You can pick them up from Cheap as Chips or Reject Store type placessmile.gif.

I gotta second the cattle dog.

My cattledog x puts on a really scary show. And she starts barking as soon as the gate squeaks.

I'm pretty sure you could train your dog to bark with the gate as a cue. Maybe put some bells on the gate to make it a bit louder. Pay attention to what gets her excited and use that to build up excitement on cue.

I'm also thinking you might want to swap bedrooms with your Dad for a week or so. You can tell his unwanted visitors that he moved to a nursing home interstate.

I gotta second the cattle dog.

My cattledog x puts on a really scary show. And she starts barking as soon as the gate squeaks.

I'm pretty sure you could train your dog to bark with the gate as a cue. Maybe put some bells on the gate to make it a bit louder. Pay attention to what gets her excited and use that to build up excitement on cue.

I'm also thinking you might want to swap bedrooms with your Dad for a week or so. You can tell his unwanted visitors that he moved to a nursing home interstate.

:thumbsup: A very expensive nursing home.....

And can they possibly repay some of the money to help him out now? You won't see them for dust!

Edited by trinabean

Gosh, that sounds awful,Id hate to have ppl being able to waltz into my yard!Thank god my shepherd is very good when it comes to that sort of thing, although he would quite happily welcome any of the local kids in but never any adult without my okay.

I agree with showdog on this one, I hope it all works out for you :crossfingers:

Inform the police & neighborhood watch,even the council if need be .

Your dog barking won't make any difference .

Personally i would be setting the alarm & getting up at 6am no matter how much of a pain it is & being seen ,

I would also be having a chat with your dad & letting him no you fell uncomfortable with them there especially with young kids/grandkids & that it isn't right.

These people have options at there so being money poor doesn't cut it .

The fact they wish to walk him to the bank is the biggest alarm bells & needs addressing

Edited by MishB

Guest donatella

You can teach the command speak and then take them to the gate and open it, with that sound 'speak'. Keep with this until they put 2 and 2 together.

Otherwise i can loan you a Pom, nothing gets past this house without her going nutso, best guard dog ever believe it or not :)