Blog About Byb Dog With Hip Dysplasia

I've had a friend ask about getting a golden pup for his friend in Brisbane, I want some sort of blog that tells the story of the horrors of BYBing, I'm not sure if thats the route they're looking at, but if it is, now is the time to educate them and steer them in the right direction

I know someone (was it Nekhbet?) has a dog who was rescued and she was writing a blog of his journey, I know he suffered severe HD and had a lot of other problems...

Edited by GoldenGirl85

Also if anyone can offer some good advice on buying interstate, I know a lot have done it, but this person has specifically said Brisbane, so it will be good to show that it can work that way if you work with your chosen breeder

Edited by GoldenGirl85

that was my boy, his worst hip gave way suddenly in the evening. I had to give him a lot of medication and tucked him into bed with me that night, OH slept on the couch. His body just gave in. He weighed 50kg when I put him to sleep and he was lean, just incredibly bad conformation as you can see from the photos.

I'm happy to be emailed if people want more information. I still can't bring myself to sit here and update the website, particularly because I lost my Dogue too over a month ago.

Thanks, sorry for your losses Nek :cry:

This friend of a friend was apparently looking on the dogz breeder page, so thats a good sign, I gave him a link to this forum to give her too and told him she should join as there is so much advice out there, so hopefully she does :)

I was asked today by a friend who has a grooming business what can be done about a border collie bought from a BYB who is only 7 months old and has severe hip dysplasia. The dog is already on injections a couple times a week.

Prognosis: not good.

I know of registered breeders who still do not hip score. I know of one breeder who was sued as they had produced a puppy or two with hip dysplasia. Guess what - they now hip score.

Breeding from dogs with low or even perfect is no guarantee any puppy will not get it. It hopefully reduces the risk of it happening as you know the history of the line and can make an educated call whether you want to proceed.

I had a phone call yesterday from someone enquiring about my litter. She said to me " I don't need papers". I politely explained to her that "papers only cost about $30 each, and more importantly, papers lets a breeder know what has come before and hopefully research what problems is in the line based on what has happened with dogs of similar pedigree. If necessary, to avoid or prevent doubling up on certain dogs to minimise the risk of producing a problem."

For some reason some pet people think you pay a lot of money for a pedigree dog because the "papers" is what costs the money????

I am trying to find the thread that was on here about the research into early desexing and hip displaysia (amongst other issues). There was a link to a science paper a grad student had written linking a whole lot of research about the benefits and pitfalls of early desexing. One of the outcomes of desexing before maturity was a huge increase in HD - even from dogs whose parent's both had perfect hip scores. Was to do with bone maturity etc. Can't find it at the moment which is a pity. Anyone else remember where it was?

that was my boy, his worst hip gave way suddenly in the evening. I had to give him a lot of medication and tucked him into bed with me that night, OH slept on the couch. His body just gave in. He weighed 50kg when I put him to sleep and he was lean, just incredibly bad conformation as you can see from the photos.

I'm happy to be emailed if people want more information. I still can't bring myself to sit here and update the website, particularly because I lost my Dogue too over a month ago.

I'm so sorry to hear of diesels passing. I was just on ur site and I must admit the pic of him on there with the crazy smile bought a smile to my face . What a gorgeous boy he was.

I am trying to find the thread that was on here about the research into early desexing and hip displaysia (amongst other issues). There was a link to a science paper a grad student had written linking a whole lot of research about the benefits and pitfalls of early desexing. One of the outcomes of desexing before maturity was a huge increase in HD - even from dogs whose parent's both had perfect hip scores. Was to do with bone maturity etc. Can't find it at the moment which is a pity. Anyone else remember where it was?

I would also be interested int hat site.

I would also be interested int hat site.

http://www.neutering.org/index.html

http://www2.dcn.org/orgs/ddtc/sfiles/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf%20

http://www.caninesports.com/EarlySpayConsiderations.pdf

http://www.akcchf.org/research/funded-research/1488.html