Changing A Dogs Name - Taboo Or Not

janisw

We are getting a new pup if all goes well and i love her dearly but hate her name. I know 2 other animals with the same name & they are bullet worthy only. (sorry i couldnt describe it any other way (not dogs)

Anyway i wanted to keep the same sounding name but i think chinging names is a bad thing so what do i do. anyone else changed a name & not suffered the Karma consequences. lol.

her name is trixy & Im thinking of changing it to dixie, its the only thing i could come up with close enough. She is not a pixie.

Change it to whatever you want. It doesn't have to sound similar. She will soon learn her new name especially if you give her a little treat or a game every time you say it for a couple of days.

It doesn't even need to sound the same, change it whatever you want it to be. Countless dogs get their names changed all the time. Think of the majority of dogs that find new homes as adults. She'll learn a new one quickly.

edit to add - snap Rebanne!!

Edited by Alyosha

I changed Milly from Micha...I also thought it had to be similar sounding but my dogs answer to their nicknames which sound nothing like their names...

Just pick something you like and say it whilst rewarding her...she'll soon get it.

My old Husky who I'd adopted at 7 months old was named Blizzard, changed it to Tasha with no troubles [just did the name association with everything she did and she picked it up in a fortnight].

Changed both my rescue greyhounds names and they were far from similar.Stan's name was Flash and Maddie's name was Skye.My last foster dog I named Ray and his new family changed it to Charlie and after a couple of days he was answering to it.Change it to whatever you want your pup will soon get used to it :)

My greyhounds name was "Brandy" when I rescued her and she didn't answer to it. I went through my list of chosen names and she turned and looked right at me when I said "Hazel" and it stuck. :)

We went from Humbug to Kajtek. He doesn't care what I call him as long as there are treats and cuddles when I use the word.

My other dog is HonBun and the similarity was a bit confusing for them (or so I thought)

Yeah, go ahead - nothing worse than hating a name every time you think about it!

My dog's first name was Athina. I'm sorry, and no offence to anyone, but.. no. We just can't have that! When I got her it was Misty, but I usd to have a rabbit called Misty, so no can do. She adapted in no time :)

Go ahead and change the name - to anything you'd like.

A name - especially for an animal, is simply an attention command. Of course, the name acquires a certain emotional attachment by us humans over time.

So, "name" + yummy treat, name + yummy treat. Repeat this over and over 50 times in a day (but no need to stop at one day) and your new pup will be responding to her name in no time.

We changed our dog's name from Morgan to Honey when we adopted her at 2.

Just started to call her that straightaway once we got her home.

Initially she just responded to the attention, but it only took a couple of days before she knew her new name.

Thankyou everyone. I think its more my superstitions that i worry about. (Like new shoes on a bench or table) Im very funny like that. I will see how we go. I would love to call her Serenity if i could so will play with it. :) thanks all so much.

It takes my fosters to learn their name in 10 minutes, as long as I use happy sounding high pitched noise, making sure they are looking at me when I say the name. I sometimes have them on my lap and have their head in my hands and looking at them use the high pitched sound again, I put them on the floor and then call their name and they react, then repeat it again for the next few minutes.

Maree

CPR