What Breed?

PolitePaws

She seems to have a Gsd ish look to her topline from loin to tail. Agouti colouring can come from Gsd too I think. But pointer could account for a similar topline too.

Do some sled race folks use pointers as well as huskies? Probably not normally interbred but accidents can always happen when dogs are kennelled together...

Just playing on Google, seems in some parts of the world a Gsp x husky type is a popular sledding dog. They are nicknamed Eurohounds. Some of them have quite a similar look to your girl.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must admit the first thing that popped into my head was husky saluki cross but it seems the general consenus is she's not.

What are the behavioural issues, that might also be a clue to what breeds are in her.

As per earlier posts she is she is 6 months old 19kg, and stands 55cm at the shoulder.

Behaviourally she is hypervigilant outside the house, which leads her to working herself up quickly around strange environments, people, dogs, kids etc. Basically she is scared of everything, unless she knows the person or dog then within seconds she has flipped and is trying to lick them and wiggle them to death. She is very easily distracted by moving things, and startles easily which causes her to suddenly bolt. When she was 6 weeks old she would think she saw something (even if nothing was there from 100m away) and she would raise hackles and growl/bark in a very offensive manner, before switching to run away mode. Which is really strange. If there was actually a person there the response was 10 fold. She also had very bad resource guarding of food and toys at 6 weeks, hated being handled, touched and restrained and generally wouldn't follow commands or even make eye contact. I have put lots of work into her, and most people can't believe she is the same dog. She can now walk past a person on the street, she gets overly excited with dogs once they come within 5m, she will give me food and toys with no problem (give and take), and will leave an item when asked. Her default behaviour when stressed is to now give me eye contact rather than barking and growling at the thing, or running away. This allows me to then move her away or focus on calming her and doing some more classical conditioning. She also knows sit, drop, come, wait, stay, bed, crate, switch (turn light off), leave it, give, take, let's go (walk on), this way (change direction), auto stop when I stop, and name recongnition. She will perform the ones possible outside at a park say as long as there is a 100m distance from strange people or dogs. And the walking is quite good until she gets too close to a dog.

Also she loves chasing her flirt pole, and will run around in circles after it forever. I have only seen this very high chase drive in sighthounds. Also she is very good at catching dry food or a ball in her mouth. and is generally very food motivated. No food is given in a bowl, only hand fed during training (we use it with all training including on walks), or soaked, stuffed and frozen in Kong's etc. She also stays in a crate when we are not home and she is very happy in there. (I have videoed her numerous times).

Hope that helps!

And just to clarify when I say bark, I don't mean barking like crazy, Just 1 or 2 serious barks with lots of growling. She generally doesn't bark, not even in play. She does howl in the morning when she wakes up for like a minute. Just 1 single long howl. I have listened to husky and saluki howl, and it sounds more like what a Saluki does, but who knows what happens to vocalisations when you start to cross breeds.

Your dog is a mixed breed probably from mixed breed parents and mixed breed grandparents I reckon the chances of her being from a saluki are buckleys or none. Sure there might be husky there somewhere but who knows where or when there could be anything.

I thought these what breed threads were banned?

I know that the likely hood of it being 2 or 3 breeds is impossible. But These threads can be very helpful to the new owner of the dog or potential owner. When you register it with council you have to name 1 or 2 of the main breeds and altho no important with this particular dog can be very important with restricted breeds or bully breeds.

Do we not prefer the council get a judgement right, therefore should be not have an educated guess at the dogs breeding to provide for identification purposes or do we only expect that from the council in bad situations where a dog is getting taken off it's owners?

That aside it is also good to have some accurate guesses at breeding so a description of the dog is given if the dog becomes lost. Some crossbred mutt went missing is so and so street! what does that achieve?

Who better to ask then experienced pedigree enthusiasts????? Or would you prefer they all went and asked a vet?

I know that the likely hood of it being 2 or 3 breeds is impossible. But These threads can be very helpful to the new owner of the dog or potential owner. When you register it with council you have to name 1 or 2 of the main breeds and altho no important with this particular dog can be very important with restricted breeds or bully breeds.

Do we not prefer the council get a judgement right, therefore should be not have an educated guess at the dogs breeding to provide for identification purposes or do we only expect that from the council in bad situations where a dog is getting taken off it's owners?

That aside it is also good to have some accurate guesses at breeding so a description of the dog is given if the dog becomes lost. Some crossbred mutt went missing is so and so street! what does that achieve?

Who better to ask then experienced pedigree enthusiasts????? Or would you prefer they all went and asked a vet?

An educated person would say that you cannot tell the breeding of a dog by its appearance, and that it is not possible to tell the breeding of a dog that looks nothing like any aprticular known breed.

The council paperwork does ask a silly nonsense question, so if you have a mixed breed dog, you are better off calling it a silly nonsense name and signing your name to that.

Grizzled fluff hound x huge dog. Council will accept that one. Guessing perpetuates myths spread by designer dog breeders that a cross breed pup will have particular traits. It's wrong. Only purebreeds are predictable. Once you start crossing breeds the first things you usually lose are the unique identifying breed traits.

I have to add here, that few (if any) sighthounds in my experience would get more than a few minutes or less enjoyment from a flirt pole. They may have high prey drive, but up close chasing and pouncing about like this is not their natural behaviour at all.

It's a behaviour I would personally expect from high drive working or terrier breeds. German and Belgian sheps spring to mind.

These threads are banned are they? What's the rationale there?

An educated person would say that you cannot tell the breeding of a dog by its appearance, and that it is not possible to tell the breeding of a dog that looks nothing like any aprticular known breed.

The council paperwork does ask a silly nonsense question, so if you have a mixed breed dog, you are better off calling it a silly nonsense name and signing your name to that.

Grizzled fluff hound x huge dog. Council will accept that one. Guessing perpetuates myths spread by designer dog breeders that a cross breed pup will have particular traits. It's wrong. Only purebreeds are predictable. Once you start crossing breeds the first things you usually lose are the unique identifying breed traits.

Yes I totally understand your point, and agree. But the problem with council is they don't care for logic or fact. If a dog is stated as a maltese x bulldog on a piece of paper they will automatically assume the dog has aggressive traits without looking at the dog. If you leave out the bulldog part and just put maltese x and something goes wrong they accuse you of falsely providing an accurate description of Breed and life justs gets harder from there. Regardless of how inaccurate breed identifying is in cross breds (especially with traits). Sometimes it is just necessarily.

The best way is to find one or 2 most likely/ close too looking breeds in the cross and declare them. As that is how a BSL dog is judged by the way it looks. It will also be helpful when ringing vets, pounds, rescues or putting up ads or flyers if the dog does missing to have a visual description which in most cases breed comparison.

I myself will not buy or rescue a crossbred dog because of the issues you mentioned and the ridiculous laws and regs in place. For that reason I have friends who refer to me as a Snob 'because I will only have pure' and won't rescue a pound puppy and so on. In an ideal world there wouldn't be crossbred dogs caused BYB or farming situations. And every Dog could be identified and have a happy home and teleporters could get us to tropical islands for the weekend.

It is an Egyptian Retriever. The council will accept that one. Or a Mountain Hunting Dog, or a Lowland Spaniel. Or a Lakeland Hurrier. Take your pick. From those photos, there is no dominate breed, and the dog could be 6 generations away from any pure breed.

It doesn't matter. When breeds are crossed, anything can and does happen, and you are out of known territory, so there is no point in wondering what breeds are involved. The dog becomes an individual -- the only one like it, and you have to work with what you have.

Do some sled race folks use pointers as well as huskies? Probably not normally interbred but accidents can always happen when dogs are kennelled together...

They wouldn't be accidents.

So I've found after some reading. Very interesting.

Guest Arcane

here is a classic example of why identifying cross breeds by looks alone can be tricky.

I had these 2 dogs in for grooming today. They are LITTER MATES !

I would challenge anyone that met them individually or together without knowing their background to identify them from looks alone as litter mates.

The hairy one before his clip. His coat is a combination of silky/wiry

post-34343-0-16622800-1337054805_thumb.jpg

After his clip.

post-34343-0-64828500-1337055094_thumb.jpg

His full litter sister who does not need clipping. This is her completely untouched coat. A broken/ wire coat

post-34343-0-57503900-1337054861_thumb.jpg

Together. Who'd pick them as litter mates ? Who would identify them as exactly the same cross if they didn't know the parents?!

post-34343-0-01844200-1337054744_thumb.jpg