Dancing With Dogs Freestyle & Heelwork To Music

Well done Tassie and PME.

Did anybody Video????

I haven't read all the posts in quite a while, but just had to pipe in here. :D

I had all intentions of going to the Nationals but circumstances prevented me. :( The 2 things that interested me the most were the agility & DWD.

So, yes, did anyone video the HTM & Freestyle? I would love, love, love to see it all. :thumbsup: I've never been to a competition with so many entries before & would have been in heaven.

eta, now back to read them all.

Edited by luvsdogs

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so not looking forward to the "putting it to music" part as I am a real dinosaur when it comes to modern ways with music. I am still back in the "tape deck" days. I know what music I want to do, but how to do it :confused:

Anyway...I am a long way off that. Also, I don't know if I will ever compete as I would be too embarrassed. :laugh: It probably wont progress any further than doing a performance for friends in the loungeroom, but we will have fun learning & already it has improved Bindi's focus on me for agility.

You would be great sheena. You already do lots with your dogs so nothing to be embarrassed about. Unlike me, embarrassed, nervous, no costume just my normal clothes. I used to go to all the workshops on offer up until end of 2012 & go to all the competitions. Only entered the one double back in March 2012. I think the only BC in history not to get a pass in starters.

I had help from a DWD grand champion, person not dog :). She picked my music after I had listened to hundreds of songs myself, then cut it to fit a starters routine. She helped me put my routine together & gave us a couple of private lessons. This all took probably over a year & still when I had the nerve to enter a double competition we bombed. My mentor said I was this /./ close to a pass in the morning comp but I called Tilba back apparently, when she went to do something wrong, if I'd let her go we probably would have passed. The afternoon comp was obviously worse. Nerves will always get the better of me. :(

I didn't practise a real lot, a couple of moves which were Tilba's favourites, most days while waiting for the kettle to boil or getting the dog's dinners ready. I would go out to the back yard & put it all together 2-3 days a week.

Due to illness last year Tilba's not MY dog anymore, :cry: prefers to listen to other family members. I hadn't done anything with her for the whole of last year & a few weeks ago I thought I'd try her with a few moves from our routine & she remembered them all. :) Even tried a few of her own.

If I can ever get fit & over this awful knee, & as Tilba is older, maybe we can start again as I can't see me getting anywhere with the JS's. :laugh:

Edited by luvsdogs

Luvsdogs its wonderful that you are getting help from someone so qualified in the DWD, but there are no DWD "Grand" Champions only DWD "Duel" Champions. This is they have achieved both Freestyle and HTM Champion titles. We are hoping to get this through in the future. :)

Congratulations to all those that competed and achieved what they wanted at the BC National. :thumbsup:

Edited by BC4ME

Sorry for the error BC4ME, it's a long time since I went to a comp. Actually got mixed up with her dog's achievements. She's an obedience grand champion.

Would be great to add Gr Ch to DWD, gives competitors somewhere else to go & not finish at Ch., no mean feat by any means.

Edited by luvsdogs

Sorry for the error BC4ME, it's a long time since I went to a comp. Actually got mixed up with her dog's achievements. She's an obedience grand champion.

Would be great to add Gr Ch to DWD, gives competitors somewhere else to go & not finish at Ch., no mean feat by any means.

It would be good but their is no reason for competitors to stop competing in the sport once they gain their titles they can continue competing in Intermediate. Just like you can continue to compete in Open obedience.

I think once someone has their Champion title they should chase the ultimate in competition "the perfect score". Not too many people will ever achieve this but it is a great way challenge yourself and your dog. :thumbsup:

Glad that everyone had fun at the BC nationals last week. And plenty of cardboard I believe was given out..

Lots of passes!! It was great!!!

So who is trialling here in Vic on 12 April? Kenzie and I will be giving it another go to see if we can get 2 more passes in freestyle to get her starters title!

Glad that everyone had fun at the BC nationals last week. And plenty of cardboard I believe was given out..

Lots of passes!! It was great!!!

So who is trialling here in Vic on 12 April? Kenzie and I will be giving it another go to see if we can get 2 more passes in freestyle to get her starters title!

Good luck PME as I should be there watching. My girl has decided to come into season :( so no dancing for us.

Good luck PME and Kenzie. Goodness knows when we will get back into the DWD ring again ... Sometimes I wish we lived on the mainland .. with clubs, classes and comps easier to get to.

Tassie, you will have to just share you time between the mainland and your home.. 6 months at each place oh and win a million dollars might help you achieve this goal too

I just had the most fantastic 5 minute training session with my girl.....Oh the power of Latent Learning :thumbsup: The part I am up to in the course is getting your dog to reliably sit, drop, stand, heel left, heel right & heel front on a verbal cue only as well as back heel pivots. Boy I wish I had my video running. She is doing them all almost perfect...just a bit slow on left heel, which is surprising as that was her favourite position. Maybe I spent too much time on the other positions. She even will now do a "bow" on verbal cue only...big party after that one :thumbsup: We might get to dance afterall :laugh:

Edited by sheena

I just had the most fantastic 5 minute training session with my girl.....Oh the power of Latent Learning :thumbsup: The part I am up to in the course is getting your dog to reliably sit, drop, stand, heel left, heel right & heel front on a verbal cue only as well as back heel pivots. Boy I wish I had my video running. She is doing them all almost perfect...just a bit slow on left heel, which is surprising as that was her favourite position. Maybe I spent too much time on the other positions. She even will now do a "bow" on verbal cue only...big party after that one :thumbsup: We might get to dance afterall :laugh:

Very good to hear your progress Sheena :)

Great job!!!

Sounds like you've definitely caught the dancing bug!!!

Great job!!!

Once you've been bitten by the dancing bug you are infected with DWD germs. :eek:

Symptoms are you mind is often wondering what tricks your dog can do next, what type of music will you use (and how to cut it to suit), what will your costume be and what can you use for props. :confused::shrug::idea:

Your friends and neighbours will think you have lost your mind as you pace out your routines in the backyard with music blaring loudly and you randomly calling commands that make no sense to the someone who is not affected by the disease. :crazy::happydance:

But luckily you are not alone, there are many of us out there infected with the DWD disease. :grouphug::kissbetter:

We are all struggling to find the only cure ...... the perfect scoring routine. Once you have achieved that you will feel so much better. But by then you have passed on the disease to others close to you. :rofl::rofl:

Great job!!!

Once you've been bitten by the dancing bug you are infected with DWD germs. :eek:

Symptoms are you mind is often wondering what tricks your dog can do next, what type of music will you use (and how to cut it to suit), what will your costume be and what can you use for props. :confused::shrug::idea:

Your friends and neighbours will think you have lost your mind as you pace out your routines in the backyard with music blaring loudly and you randomly calling commands that make no sense to the someone who is not affected by the disease. :crazy::happydance:

But luckily you are not alone, there are many of us out there infected with the DWD disease. :grouphug::kissbetter:

We are all struggling to find the only cure ...... the perfect scoring routine. Once you have achieved that you will feel so much better. But by then you have passed on the disease to others close to you. :rofl::rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: I have just finished reading the section on putting the routine together & it is lucky that I don't have neighbours :laugh: I know what music I want to do (Abba) always have, just have to work out a way of putting it together, seeing that I am a techno dinosaur :)

Edited by sheena

Great job!!!

:rofl: :rofl: I have just finished reading the section on putting the routine together & it is lucky that I don't have neighbours :laugh: I know what music I want to do (Abba) always have, just have to work out a way of putting it together, seeing that I am a techno dinosaur :)

LOL I remember when my neighbours saw me dressed in a robot costume - it was like "well that's it! I have to move now"

Sheena, happy to help with a music cut if I can. Although I am tearing my hair out atm trying to get a good cut on Schatzi's intermediate HTM music.