Dancing With Dogs Freestyle & Heelwork To Music

Thanks SM...but we had a backward step this afternoon. After last night success, I set up the video camera this afternoon & she was hopeless...hopeless :cry: I feel that she was just trying too hard & just kept offering me every other behaviour other than what I was verbally cuing so I had to resort to very slight physical cues. On a positive note, when I replayed the video, it is quite clear that she is trying very hard & for the whole ten minutes she never took her eyes off me :thumbsup:

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sheena, I use a bundle of physical cues at the moment. We're just doing Starters. As we advance it's going to have to tone down a lot, but for now that's what we need and it keeps her working and knowing what we are doing.

One of the key things I've been told about DWD is you need to be able to improvise!! Things don't always go to plan, but if you can make it look like it's going to plan then it will work!! Well, improvising is not my strong suite! I was lucky, our HTM soutine went exactly as planned (even though I'd psyched myself up to cope if it didn't!). The DWDF routine we're doing at the moment,hmmm a bit less to plan and I'm hoping that this coming weekend I can figure out how to improvise a bit more so that it flows a bit better. So don't worry if it doesn't go exactly as you want. have you plan, aim for your plan, but be ready to just throw in something she can/will do if the plan doesn't go to plan!!!

Sheena, I use a bundle of physical cues at the moment. We're just doing Starters. As we advance it's going to have to tone down a lot, but for now that's what we need and it keeps her working and knowing what we are doing.

One of the key things I've been told about DWD is you need to be able to improvise!! Things don't always go to plan, but if you can make it look like it's going to plan then it will work!! Well, improvising is not my strong suite! I was lucky, our HTM soutine went exactly as planned (even though I'd psyched myself up to cope if it didn't!). The DWDF routine we're doing at the moment,hmmm a bit less to plan and I'm hoping that this coming weekend I can figure out how to improvise a bit more so that it flows a bit better. So don't worry if it doesn't go exactly as you want. have you plan, aim for your plan, but be ready to just throw in something she can/will do if the plan doesn't go to plan!!!

Oh that's good to know, because with this course I am doing, Michelle likes the dogs to be able to perform moves on verbal cues only, because, obviously when you are performing you are going to have to make up lots of different moves for each cue, so a verbal cue which never changes no matter what your body is doing, is the best in her opinion...& I can understand why. Bindi only needs the very slightest body cue so I guess I am expecting too much too soon. So I will work longer on just giving subtle cues & take longer to fade them out...maybe fade them out one by one :)

When I was putting my f/style routine together I had a terrible time remembering my routine without looking at my notes. Comps at Dogs NSW are doubles, so I asked if it mattered if my morning routine was different from the afternoons. No, it didn't matter, because each competition is judged on it's own merit. We are told to continue on & not stop if the dog misses or won't do a move (or in fact you forget), the judges don't know your routine so just keep going.

Edited by luvsdogs

When I was putting my f/style routing together I had a terrible time remembering my routine without looking at my notes. Comps at Dogs NSW are doubles, so I asked if it mattered if my morning routine was different from the afternoons. No, it didn't matter, because each competition is judged on it's own merit. We are told to continue on & not stop if the dog misses or won't do a move (or in fact you forget), the judges don't know your routine so just keep going.

Michelle trains her routines by back chaining. She works it all out in segments to go with the music, then she practices the final stage first, then the second final through to the end, then the third final stage through to the end & so on. Her reasoning being that it is easier to learn the routine this way because you are practicing something new which is always followed by something that is familiar & of course the BIG reward is always given at the end when your dog is holding its end pose. She also admits that she stuffs up all the time, but just carries on cause the judges don't know. :)

Bindi & I are working on "back arounds" at the moment. I have laid some chairs on the floor to form a tight square & she does the anti-clockwise really good & is starting to get it with the clockwise direction. Cricket has started to learn "front leg lifts" but he is a little too enthusiastic. I never realised that his front legs were so long :laugh:

Great DWD trial today in Victoria!!! There were so many talented competitors and routines that were really great to watch!!

Great for me because Kenz got 2 passes which means we've now earnt our Freestyle starters title! Yay for us!!

But it was a really lovely relaxed trial. Lots of inspiration from other peoples routines!!!

Great DWD trial today in Victoria!!! There were so many talented competitors and routines that were really great to watch!!

Great for me because Kenz got 2 passes which means we've now earnt our Freestyle starters title! Yay for us!!

But it was a really lovely relaxed trial. Lots of inspiration from other peoples routines!!!

Congratulations on your passes :thumbsup:

Just a question do you have a previous pass because the rules changed as at 1st January stating you now need "3" passes for a starters title.

Yep pretty happy with ourselves!! And our scores just got better each time! Continually just missing out on placing, but that's ok because the other starters routines were awesome!! Now we get a few months off so I can figure out music and what we'll do heading in to Novice!

thought I would join in and confess that I/we have been quietly training for heelwork to music starters laugh.gif

The plan is to enter for May's trial here in Adelaide..........................well that's the plan biggrin.gif

:thumbsup: That's great biker girl! All good fun. :D

Yep pretty happy with ourselves!! And our scores just got better each time! Continually just missing out on placing, but that's ok because the other starters routines were awesome!! Now we get a few months off so I can figure out music and what we'll do heading in to Novice!

Congratulations :thumbsup:

thought I would join in and confess that I/we have been quietly training for heelwork to music starters laugh.gif

The plan is to enter for May's trial here in Adelaide..........................well that's the plan biggrin.gif

Whoo Hoo you will love the sport, it is very addictive :laugh:

:cheer::thumbsup:

Well done PME and Kenz! Great effort. :champagne:

Thankyou!!!!

Good luck biker girl!!! Have a great time!

Well done PME and Kenz congratulations! :thumbsup:

Whoo Hoo you will love the sport, it is very addictive :laugh:

Good luck biker girl, you will get addicted in no time! :)

My girls and I are getting ready for our first comp in over a year in May, excited to be getting back in the ring!

Has anybody got any links to good novice heelwork to music routines - heaven forbid I thought I might actually plan a routine for a change :laugh:. I find HTM a little bit more of a challenge to plan then I do a freestyle routine and would love some ideas.

For those who don't go to other places where this photo may appear...

post-34437-0-78953500-1397544729_thumb.jpg

Kenz and I love DWD!!! This is us with our signature move "Paws Up Everybody!". (Go check out Raggs Kids Club if you don't know it - good for a giggle, and great for DWD!!)

Oh and for those worried about costuming - this was a full scoring costume and I believe it cost all up maybe $15-20 and was made by me ironing on paw prints and one of my friends whipped up the skirt!

What is the minimum & max time for a novice freestyle routine :confused: Are there any moves that a novice is not allowed to make & does every routine require props or is outfit enough ????? :)

PME....I love your outfit :thumbsup: