Dancing With Dogs Freestyle & Heelwork To Music

I have a different opinion about competing and not being ready.

Before entering any competition you should be ready. You should have done the training, your dog should be proofed with the props and your costume and environment you are to compete in. It is unfair to your dog if he/she doesn't do well because you were not prepared.

You should know your routine back to front so you are not wandering around the ring trying to figure out what you will do next. If you don't know what you are doing you will not give clear signals to your dog.

DWD is serious sport don't make a mockery of it by not being prepared and hoping you can just wing it. This is not only unfair to you and your dog but also to the judges who have give up their time to judge your performance and to everyone who has spent a lot of time an effort to put run the competition.

The competition you are about to enter is a National Breed show and a lot of time, money and effort has gone into putting this national show on. This where you should be showcasing your wonderful dogs and the fantastic things they can do. You should have been preparing for this competition for months not making it up the week before.

I'm not sorry if my opinions upset anyone but being prepared is part of any sport and DWD is certainly no different.

I wish all those competing the very best of luck and hope you all enjoy yourselves. I look forward to seeing the results.

:)

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is "winging it" and there is "winging it" though BC4ME. Its not like your talking about a green dog with no performance history - especially as far as Tassie is concerned. Same when I entered Kenz.

I had no issues with knowing not only would she perform what I wanted when it was asked but she wasn't going to be rattled by anything I threw at her and would roll with it.

What do you know we won both classes so "winging" it can't be all bad. Each to their own if the judges don't like my winging they don't need to score me so highly never mind actually winning classes. Maybe I am just exceedingly blessed and lucky with her that she is capable of doing it and at a high standard.

Its about having fun with your dog and if the dog is having fun and the handler enjoying it whats wrong with winging some of it.

I can think of others who have done similar and also won their respective classes with well trained seasoned performance dogs.

Any way hope you all have a blast at the Nationals and I will be hanging out for a report when your finished up :D.

Edited by ness

There is "winging it" and there is "winging it" though BC4ME. Its not like your talking about a green dog with no performance history - especially as far as Tassie is concerned. Same when I entered Kenz.

I had no issues with knowing not only would she perform what I wanted when it was asked but she wasn't going to be rattled by anything I threw at her and would roll with it.

What do you know we won both classes so "winging" it can't be all bad. Each to their own if the judges don't like my winging they don't need to score me so highly never mind actually winning classes. Maybe I am just exceedingly blessed and lucky with her that she is capable of doing it and at a high standard.

Its about having fun with your dog and if the dog is having fun and the handler enjoying it whats wrong with winging some of it.

I can think of others who have done similar and also won their respective classes with well trained seasoned performance dogs.

Any way hope you all have a blast at the Nationals and I will be hanging out for a report when your finished up :D.

No matter what sport you compete in, every time you step into the competition ring you should be there showcasing your dog to the best of their ability, not just going out to go through the motions.

Regardless of whether you scored well or not I still think "winging it" is bad preparation on the handlers half and you are letting your dog down by not showing them off to their best potential.

You may have gotten through in the starter class "winging it" but as you progress through the higher classes the routines get longer and the complexity of the movements get harder you can't just "wing it", you should have strategies in place if things go wrong.

"Setting the dog up to Succeed" is a vital part of any dog training, by preparing for whatever happens in the ring is a part of their training. In the sport of DWD this includes the music, the choreography, the costume, the props, the audience, the judges, the ring setup etc. These things are often foreign to our dogs so they need to be given every opportunity to perform at their best in these situations ie I know someone who bought their costume the day before a competition, went into the ring and competed and the costume was flapping in the dogs face so the dog couldn't see the cues the handler was giving. It's things like this is what a good preparation is about.

Like said earlier don't make a mockery of our sport, if you are not prepared to do the preparation work, don't enter. Especially at a National Breed Show.

Like I also said before Good Luck to those that have entered in the BC National, I wish you all well and hope you are all prepared for such a big event.

:)

I can now join in this thread :thumbsup: I have just signed up with the Karen Pryor Academy for an online course on Canine Freestyle with Michele Pouliot. Even if I never get to compete, as not much happens around here in the way of CF, what I learn along the way will be invaluable to me & my BC's. :)

:wave: hey Sheena, I'm hoping to run some DWD training soon, so if you ever want to come up the hill and join me in dancing, let me know :)

BC4ME Kenz has a routine I put together in literally 3 afternoons of about 5 min practice that would score high 50s as an Intermediate routine and that was without having trained for many months prior. I doubt anybody would consider I am making a mockery of the sport. Seriously you said its not about marks but when judges give you high choreography marks you must be getting something right.

We all do what works best for our dogs and if that's what works for mine then I will continue to do as I will. As I said there is wing it and there is winging it. I certainly don't ever go in expecting not to pass with flying colours in anything competition wise. For example I had fairy wings in my costume as part of my starters routine and yes I did certainly put them on in the backyard and have a practice to make sure she wasn't bothered by them and they didn't interfere with things in anyway. Did I go to the extent of putting on a full costume prior to the trial nope.

Any way I am sure you might find lots more people "wing" it then you imagine and I don't think any of them are making a mockery of the sport. When you have trained dogs in a number of performance disciplines and the dog wants to work as i have said elsewhere actually training anything is fairly straight forward and dogs who are enthusiastic really don't look bad.

Edited by ness

I can now join in this thread :thumbsup: I have just signed up with the Karen Pryor Academy for an online course on Canine Freestyle with Michele Pouliot. Even if I never get to compete, as not much happens around here in the way of CF, what I learn along the way will be invaluable to me & my BC's. :)

:wave: hey Sheena, I'm hoping to run some DWD training soon, so if you ever want to come up the hill and join me in dancing, let me know :)

:wave: Hi Schatzi's Mum...where is "up the hill" ??.....yes I am interested as there is nothing around where I live...nearest to me is the Gold Coast which is about 4 - 5 hours away.

BC4ME Kenz has a routine I put together in literally 3 afternoons of about 5 min practice that would score high 50s as an Intermediate routine and that was without having trained for many months prior. I doubt anybody would consider I am making a mockery of the sport. Seriously you said its not about marks but when judges give you high choreography marks you must be getting something right.

We all do what works best for our dogs and if that's what works for mine then I will continue to do as I will. As I said there is wing it and there is winging it. I certainly don't ever go in expecting not to pass with flying colours in anything competition wise. For example I had fairy wings in my costume as part of my starters routine and yes I did certainly put them on in the backyard and have a practice to make sure she wasn't bothered by them and they didn't interfere with things in anyway. Did I go to the extent of putting on a full costume prior to the trial nope.

Any way I am sure you might find lots more people "wing" it then you imagine and I don't think any of them are making a mockery of the sport. When you have trained dogs in a number of performance disciplines and the dog wants to work as i have said elsewhere actually training anything is fairly straight forward and dogs who are enthusiastic really don't look bad.

As a DWD judge myself, I will let in you in a little secret..... I can certainly tell when people haven't done the work and are just "winging it".

It is my opinion that not doing the preparation work for a DWD routine and just "winging it" is unfair on your dog and everyone involved in running a competition.

I am passionate about the sport of Dances with Dogs and I make no apologies for that. :D

Hi Sheena you will do well if you can get to work with Schati's mum she is an excellent trainer with brilliant ideas. :thumbsup:

We will just have to agree to disagree BC4ME nobody is perfect and I certainly don't think my routines are making a mockery of the sport. Maybe in my case its about getting the dog out doing what she loves which is working to the capacity she can present herself and I am still pretty tickled pink to think with as limited training as she is allowed to do she can still go out there and work herself inside and out and give me great routines and enjoy herself completely in the process. Its not about playing for sheep stations the wins in her case were a bonus and I am certainly aware that people put much more work into their routines and they don't come off any better.

:wave: Hi Schatzi's Mum...where is "up the hill" ??.....yes I am interested as there is nothing around where I live...nearest to me is the Gold Coast which is about 4 - 5 hours away.

Armidale :) you may not recognise the name on here, I'm Rachel with the white shepherds.

Pretty new to the DWD deal but Schatzi is at intermediate level. I'm hoping to get more people in the region into the sport as there's not a lot of it for us around here as you know.

Edited by Schatzi'sMum

I thought it must have been you....though I havn't seen you on here before :) I would love to see one of your dogs in action. We're not coming out to the Armidale trial as I am going down to the Easter Show to watch the agility, but will catch up someday. I havn't done much with my guys for a fortnight now as we are away caravanning, but am going home today early as it is raining :thumbsup: so I hope to get stuck into it over the next couple of weeks & I will post a new video.

I thought it must have been you....though I havn't seen you on here before :) I would love to see one of your dogs in action. We're not coming out to the Armidale trial as I am going down to the Easter Show to watch the agility, but will catch up someday. I havn't done much with my guys for a fortnight now as we are away caravanning, but am going home today early as it is raining :thumbsup: so I hope to get stuck into it over the next couple of weeks & I will post a new video.

I don't get on here often :)

Awesome, we will keep you updated as to what I get going in the area. There is also a DWD-er at SW Rocks so we may have to start a regional training session with us all or something.

I am so not looking forward to the "putting it to music" part as I am a real dinosaur when it comes to modern ways with music. I am still back in the "tape deck" days. I know what music I want to do, but how to do it :confused:

Anyway...I am a long way off that. Also, I don't know if I will ever compete as I would be too embarrassed. :laugh: It probably wont progress any further than doing a performance for friends in the loungeroom, but we will have fun learning & already it has improved Bindi's focus on me for agility.

So, Tassie did a great job today with her kids!! I managed to get a pass with Kenzie, happy with that for now! I'm not sure which other DOL-ers were there, but I have to say there were a lot of good routine and what was also really great was that so many people from conformation came in to have a look and see what it was all about!!