Dancing With Dogs Freestyle & Heelwork To Music

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:eek::eek::eek:

Hmmm - OK - it's getting closer to the front burner :rofl: . I did puut entries in - now I'm stuck with the music - just have to edit it, work out the details of the choreo - and train it ... along with training agility, rally, obedience, doing trials - grooming dog, oh and working!

I have organised my leave from work - does that count? :laugh:

Tassie you and I are in the same boat!!

I chose some music for Kenz to do her freestyle starters to and put in an entry and now I guess we'll have to figure something out!! At least it's only just over a minute! But yep along with training for all the other things - ooops, probably should have started planning earlier!

:laugh: Glad it's not just me, PME. I did get the music editor sorted out last night and had a go at cutting Rory's FS music. Will try to get Kirra's done today, and their HTM. They're in Novice :eek: so minimum 1.30, but that's good in a way. I found Starters felt a bit rushed ... or maybe that was my lack of proper training showing.

It's going to be fun, whatever happens ... love our BCs :D

OK - edits done - probably not up to your standards ness - but they're not too bad. All between 1.55 and 2.00 - including the 4 seconds silence at the beginning - thinking time :rofl: .

Now to get the choreo done, then the dreaded costume - oh, and train the dogs :rofl:

Not sure what you are all worried about. I stuck an entry in for our Western Classic and that is way before your BC Nationals and I haven't started training for it - or looking for my music. I am running with the theory that......it will be alright on the night thumbsup1.gif

Actually I am a little concerned since Bedazzled accepted the commentary position during the week. Not sure what she will say about my pussy costume rofl1.gif

:coffeesplurk: I'd love to be a fly on the wall, Ptolomy :laugh: . I'm not so worried about the HTM (though I probably should be) - it's the Freestyle .. no creativity here. And of course then there's the matter of getting in some agility training, especially for the misguided missile, and a few odd trials - oh, and work - and keeping up with FDSA courses - but hey - we'll get there, and we'll have fun - as you will. Make sure there's video from the Classic. :)

Well, my 16 month old Cardigan teenager actually managed to hold his attention together for a minute and twenty seconds twice today, to pull off two passes in Heelwork to Music Starters. We performed to Can't Fight the Moonlight. Although he bounced around like the overexcited teenager he is at times, he was pretty focused on me, and nice and drivey the whole time, so I can keep working on the control. He's such a fun pup!

Well, my 16 month old Cardigan teenager actually managed to hold his attention together for a minute and twenty seconds twice today, to pull off two passes in Heelwork to Music Starters. We performed to Can't Fight the Moonlight. Although he bounced around like the overexcited teenager he is at times, he was pretty focused on me, and nice and drivey the whole time, so I can keep working on the control. He's such a fun pup!

:thumbsup: Congratulations to you and your baby dog. That's a great effort. :cheer:

:thumbsup: Congratulations to you and your baby dog. That's a great effort. :cheer:

Congrats from me too on your passes with your baby :) It is lovely to hear your news.

Not sure what you are all worried about. I stuck an entry in for our Western Classic and that is way before your BC Nationals and I haven't started training for it - or looking for my music. I am running with the theory that......it will be alright on the night thumbsup1.gif

Actually I am a little concerned since Bedazzled accepted the commentary position during the week. Not sure what she will say about my pussy costume rofl1.gif

When is the Classic Ptolomy? And what song is making you wear a Cat costume? But more importantly good luck :)

I can now join in this thread :thumbsup: I have just signed up with the Karen Pryor Academy for an online course on Canine Freestyle with Michele Pouliot. Even if I never get to compete, as not much happens around here in the way of CF, what I learn along the way will be invaluable to me & my BC's. :)

You should really enjoy it sheena - I couldn't get to Michele's workshops when she was here, but I like her style of teaching. And platforms rock - for Rally and obedience as well.

I went to both Michelle's workshops and had a private lesson with her. She is lovely, very approachable and as she says, "Platforms Rock".

Boxes and platforms are great for DWD and also helps with gets obedience positions too.

Next time don't miss the opportunity to go to one of her workshops. Michelle is very entertaining and knows her craft well. :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone. I have started working on practical lesson one...Duration Attention Exercise, where the dog has to stand still & make eye contact, increasing the amount of time that the dog keeps eye contact. Then handler starts to move around the dog & dog keeps making eye contact. After getting over the problem of her not wanting to stand still (she wanted to show me every trick she knew :laugh: )..I think she thinks it a bit intimidating to have me stare at her, but we are getting there. This is probably one of the most important steps in the whole course, so I want to get it right before moving on. I am doing very short sessions 3 or 4 times a day. I videoed this mornings session & she was a bit distracted by the video camera :laugh:

ETA Video

Edited by sheena

• 2 weeks later...

The end of our first week with the Michelle Pouliot Course & things are going good :thumbsup: Now on to Step 2 of the Stationary Duration Attention Exercises & introducing the four heel positions, left, right, front & behind. Still with little to no distractions. Hoping by next week I will be able to fade out the hand cue & just use a verbal to put her into position.