Homeless People In The City With Dogs

samoyedman

I met with my case worker today who's involved with the Salvos & I mentioned to him about this topic. He is going to let me know where around the Yarra Ranges area, the homeless with dogs usually are. So hopefully I might be able to help them.

I also told him about Pacers & he was excited, he said so many times people who contact emergency housing with pets, refuse housing because they won't get rid of their pets. He said that he's sure that if Pacers fostered pets for these people, that the Salvos would help with funding for the carers if needed. :thumbsup:

Thank you for passing us on to him - we also find lots of women who should leave home wont do so because it leaves the abuser behind with the animals - refuges wont take animals - so many of our clients come from that area too.

We should be able to sort out a delivery of dog food for you if you want to hand some around too.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does anyone recognise these two dogs? My husband is currently in Sydney and sent me this pic on my phone. He said there was a really rough looking guy hanging around in the distance keeping an eye on them and returning them to their mat when they got off. Im just wondering if they are always there with this sign or if they genuinely need vet care. My husband did say one looked sick, but really he wouldnt know. Makes me so sad. I couldnt live in the big cities, seeing the homeless, the drug/alcohol addicted and dogs like these :( Its so sad people live like this.

post-4991-0-66954400-1338531244_thumb.jpg

Does anyone recognise these two dogs? My husband is currently in Sydney and sent me this pic on my phone. He said there was a really rough looking guy hanging around in the distance keeping an eye on them and returning them to their mat when they got off. Im just wondering if they are always there with this sign or if they genuinely need vet care. My husband did say one looked sick, but really he wouldnt know. Makes me so sad. I couldnt live in the big cities, seeing the homeless, the drug/alcohol addicted and dogs like these :( Its so sad people live like this.

They look well cared for enough to me. A new form of "Pity busking"? Perhaps raising funds for vaccinations? :confused:

They look well cared for enough to me. A new form of "Pity busking"? Perhaps raising funds for vaccinations? :confused:

Hats off for ingenuity if it is not legitimate! Well the dogs are homeless too and he has obviously trained them well. He will probably go quite well and hopefully spend some on the dogs.

Guest lavendergirl

Hats off for ingenuity if it is not legitimate! Well the dogs are homeless too and he has obviously trained them well. He will probably go quite well and hopefully spend some on the dogs.

Looks like a total scam to me. I would more likely drop a voucher for a free vet check rather than money - at least there would be some hope that the dogs would really benefit.

Looks like a total scam to me. I would more likely drop a voucher for a free vet check rather than money - at least there would be some hope that the dogs would really benefit.

I tend to be turned off by beggers/homeless using animals or children as "marketing tools" - although when I go into the city I try to remember to put a few dollars in my pocket in case I pass some poor sod sitting on the footpath in the cold (dogs or not). I figure if they're desperate enough to be there on a wet windy night then who am I to make judgements about what they do with their money.

(disclaimer - just finished re-watching the first series of The Wire ... perhaps I'm a bit despairing of society in general)

Guest donatella

I would not give anything to dogs made to sit there all day for pity while the owner watches on and I'd have a word to the man if he were in eye reach.<br /><br />Those dogs look very unhappy; fed yes, but they don't look pleased about their task. I'd be more inclined to give to someone actually sitting there with their dogs not making them work like circus clowns for the mans profit.

I have seen two dogs who look very similar to these with a guy trying to get money outside Hungry Jacks in George St.

It was a while ago now that's why I can't be 100% sure.

Homeless comes in many forms.

Yes there are the street people, there are also those that live in cars/campers/small motorhomes....those that have dogs in the main I find look after them really well and in many cases better than some dogs that have 'homes'.

Quite often a homeless person is socially isolated and if they have a dog that dog is their best friend, warmth, sanity provider, the sole provider of tactile communication with another living being...I could never deny any person who cares for their dog to the best of their ability the relationship they have with their dog...if I were in a position to assist anyone in that situation in any way I would always choose to do so.

I say all this because it is all very close to 'home' at present, Clancy connor and I are living in my motorhome full time - we have just had to leave Darwin, where I have lived and worked for the past 7 years plus, I still had work there but due to some upsetting personal circumstances I had lost my living space and Darwin is just to expensive a place to live and rent a place on one's own.

I have worked all my life and certainly did not expect to become (in effect) homeless in the conventional sense at 58 yrs!

Luckily I have some wonderful friends who are generous beyond words, true angels.

I know that I intend to volunteer in the homeless sector when I have sorted my life out a bit, I doubt if I will ever own a home in the traditional sense again but I do have the motorhome and my 'boys' think of it as home now and feel safe and now they are much loved wherever we are.

Annie

Guest lavendergirl

Just watching ABC news and they featured an event taking place in Sydney today offering services to homeless people - health checks etc. Also included seemed to be care for dogs - they showed someone washing a dog and I could see dogs in the background. I think the group organising it was called "Homeless Connect". Perhaps those in Sydney area might like to contact that group if they wish to assist or donate in any way?

I think your view may be a little misconstrued. As every case i've seen, of a homeless man with a dog, i've noticed them making large sacrifices to support the dog. Often starving themselves to feed the dog.

If anything, these people tend to be amongst the best pet owners i've ever come across. Abeit, they can't afford the luxuries of vaccinations, worming, desexing etc etc. But these dogs see an amount of social interaction, companionship, love and affection that is seen nowhere else.

If it weren't for the homeless, taking it amongst themselves to support and care for these stray animals, chances are, they'd be run over, or taken by the pound only to be put down for a miriad of reasons.

Kudos to the homeless!

You meet some strange characters in Sydney. Ive met a few who had families and successful careers etc and then one day just decided that they wanted live the itinerant/frugal lifestyle (still with several hundred thousand in the bank). Homeless people are actually pretty well off in Australia i think, most can still access centrelink benefits, its a mild climate etc, i just hate wankers who give them a hard time for no reason.

. Homeless people are actually pretty well off in Australia i think, most can still access centrelink benefits, its a mild climate etc.

Over 36,000 young people between the ages of 12-25 are homeless in Australia alone. One in two homeless kids will be on the streets tonight because they will be turned away from already overcrowded homeless shelters. They are homeless for a myriad of reasons including physical, verbal and sexual abuse. Most will then find themselves in a world where drugs and prostitution are a way to survive. Their school days are behind them with many not even reaching year10, this greatly limits their future options and the cycle continues.

I know what you meant re: well off. It is true in Australia homeless people are unlikely to die due to starvation, hypothermia etc, as we have many services available. Much poorer nations have far more tragic stories to tell. But it is still a horrendous life, they are far from well off.

Maybe we could find a vet willing to donate some time and run a vaccination and worming blitz, go into some areas with homeless with dogs and vaccinate and worm the dogs, maybe even offer some desexing planned event? I would be willing to donate whatever I could spare, I'm sure we could run some specific fundraising activity to help fund some of it.

Guest lavendergirl

As I suggested in a previous post....there is an organisation called Homeless Connect that run events for homeless people in most capital cities including providing pet care. I am sure they would appreciate assistance.

http://homelessconnect.com.au/

If anyone is interested Bendigo Community Health are asking for donations of coats, jumpers and even blankets if you can spare some.

Link to BCH

http://www.bchs.com.au/

Link to coat drive poster

http://www.bchs.com.au/Winter%20Coat%20Drive%20June%202012%20Poster%20A3.pdf

They can be dropped off at any of the BCH centres around Bendigo or at nominated points. They would be most appreciated.

Edited by perrin

You meet some strange characters in Sydney. Ive met a few who had families and successful careers etc and then one day just decided that they wanted live the itinerant/frugal lifestyle (still with several hundred thousand in the bank). Homeless people are actually pretty well off in Australia i think, most can still access centrelink benefits, its a mild climate etc, i just hate wankers who give them a hard time for no reason.

The guy who used to sell the Big Issue at Circular Quay (he may still but I am no longer at that end of town) used to be a driver for either the Packers or Murdochs.

There is something in Urban Animal magazine this month (can read online at www.urbananimal.net.au) about who you can donate blankets to from memory.