Found Pup

Even if you call the pound and tell them you have found the pup but it is sick and you would prefer to keep it with you until an owner comes forward - take a pic to the pound, so they can at least have it on their register...

Your friend has a kind heart but they are not doing the right thing by the pup - I would be devastated if it was my pup and I couldn't find it because someone just decided to keep it...

The little one is only 8 weeks (it looks older to me, more like 3 months but that is not the issue) and has medical issues - perhaps the its owner is working on these things and the pup is undergoing treatment (but won't be getting it now, as it is not at home)..

Get your friend to contact the pound with a pic in the very least, so if the pups owners are looking for it, they can find it... If no one comes forward, your friend can then buy the pup, get it microchipped in his name and it will all be above board...

Better to be safe and legal with these things.

Yep, im going over there tonight to speak to him and his sister about it.... if they dont want to do that ill just do the sneaky and do it myself... give the pound pictures and his number for contact or mine.... i dont want this pup to end up in the wrong hands and i know my friend has his heart in the right place but they do not have the finances to keep up the health of this little one for the duration of her life so my aim is to get it back to its owner who are looking after it or make sure it goes to someone who is willing to make this pup part of their family and look after her properly......

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pup has been taken to the pound, the pound are keeping her for a week, I think he put his name against her like i said.... i also just told him he can ask to keep her at home whilst they wait for the owner to collect her... and he might go ask about that tomorrow.

Guest english.ivy

Good on your friend for trying to help the puppy. Hope she gets the treatment she needs and please keep us updated :)

Will do, I have a feeling he wont be able to care for her long term, she needs experienced owners who are financially able to care for her, a 21 year old who doesnt have experience in dog ownership dont think will cut it, but I guess I will know more about the situation in a weeks time.

Will do, I have a feeling he wont be able to care for her long term, she needs experienced owners who are financially able to care for her, a 21 year old who doesnt have experience in dog ownership dont think will cut it, but I guess I will know more about the situation in a weeks time.

I'm glad the puppy has gone to the pound in case the owners are looking for it but your friend or anyone else would be nuts to adopt it if they cannot afford the ongoing medical treatment that could run well into the thousands. Heart murmur surgery can be $5000+ and if that can't be done heart medication can easily be $200+ a month for as long as the dog lives. That is without ongoing mange treatment and god only knows what for the blood problem. With so many healthy dogs pts every day it is better to pts the ones that nature never intended to survive and give a healthy dog a chance at a full life.

...its previous owners clearly didnt know how to look after her properly.

I can't let this go unanswered. You do not know anything about the previous owners. I've had a dog with mange.

Yep, my Pug recently had a bout of mange. He looked awful but is very much loved and cared for (all better now though) :thumbsup:

if it was just mange then ok, but she also has a heap of scars, worms, a blood disorder which was not being treated and a heart murmur... combined i dont know what her owners/previous owners are like.

But now the pup can hopefully go back to the owners who possibly mistreat it, dont look after its medical issues and generally possibly just dont care about it, now it can have years of suffering.

Sometimes the "right thing" is not necessarily the best thing.

Edit: In case it is not clear, I am not having a go at TheCheekyMonster.

Edited by BigDaz

Guest Willow

if it was just mange then ok, but she also has a heap of scars, worms, a blood disorder which was not being treated and a heart murmur... combined i dont know what her owners/previous owners are like.

But now the pup can hopefully go back to the owners who possibly mistreat it, dont look after its medical issues and generally possibly just dont care about it, now it can have years of suffering.

If they don't give a shit about the puppy, it's highly unlikely they will pay the pound and rego fees required to get it out. So if the pup was being mistreated, it's unlikely to go back to uncaring owners.

From a slightly different perspective, one of our rescued Italian Greyhounds went into a home with good fencing, on trial, down in Canberra. During a storm, he somehow followed the cat up and over the fence (Iggies are good climbers when they want to).

Anyhow, he was gone for 4 days. The person that found him presumed he wasn't loved because he was thin (Iggies are thin) - note NOT bony, just thin. The person fully intended to keep him but then saw a notice put up by the new owner to say he was on meds, which he was. So the person thought he'd better return the dog.

I know this puppy isn't in good condition but who's to say someone didn't just adopt the puppy and they already had mange.

At least the right thing has been done, the pup is in the pound where the owners may be able to find him.

It's obviously not going to be any good for your friend to keep the dog, common sense has to overrule the heart in this case, it has to be what is best for the pup in the long term.

If they don't give a shit about the puppy, it's highly unlikely they will pay the pound and rego fees required to get it out. So if the pup was being mistreated, it's unlikely to go back to uncaring owners.

This is why my friend has put his name against the pup in the event the owners dont show up in the weeks time frame given, thus giving him, myself and OH a chance to re home her to a loving home.... i wouldnt want him keeping her she is too special and needs lots of care, his just not experienced enough and as much as he wants her i think he knows this too, its just a matter of getting this girl to a loving home whom are willing to carry on her medical treatment.

Just found out the pup never made it to the pound, the vet did not release the pup to my friend and he had requested they take her to the pound and put his name against her......this has still has not been done so, this is the same vet that wanted to put the pup to sleep on arrival.

Just found out the pup never made it to the pound, the vet did not release the pup to my friend and he had requested they take her to the pound and put his name against her......this has still has not been done so, this is the same vet that wanted to put the pup to sleep on arrival.

So, the vet ended up with the pup? Your friend didn't take it to the pound ..and so, you think pup has been euth'ed?

:confused:

So, the vet ended up with the pup? Your friend didn't take it to the pound ..and so, you think pup has been euth'ed?

:confused:

No friend didnt take it to the pound because vet did not let him, vet said they would take care of it from here, to call the pound in a week.... he asked the vet to put his name against her. Called the pound today, dog has not been taken to the pound, called the vet pup is still there

Guest Arcane

Is it possible the pound gave DOC to the vet , so the pup serves it's pound time at the vet where it can receive the medical care it requires. Or did the vet just not make contact with the pound at all?

Is it possible the pound gave DOC to the vet , so the pup serves it's pound time at the vet where it can receive the medical care it requires. Or did the vet just not make contact with the pound at all?

No contact has been made at all, i'd love to know which vet this is, apparently the pup is crossed with a dane or something and is no more than 3 months, its paws are massive..... I just dont think this vet has morally the best intentions since they were so quick to want to put her down. .....

I would be ringing the pound and explaining the situation, unless he is under duty of care the vet is doing the wrong thing.

Explain they wanted to adopt the pup and the vet won't release it to take it to the pound.