Do Dogs Miss People?

Bomber

I left Monday and got back late last night from a work trip . Rogue jumped up when I came in and was so excited muzzeling my my face, licking me, making these grunting noises :-) He missed me and I missed him so much aswell.. Now to my OH he just looked up from his laptop and smiled hmmm typical!!!!!

Yes your dogs will be missing you and you will receive a wonderful reception when you return. We have two JRT's one will just accept the situation and follow us around for the first hour or two that we are home and the other one gets all excited then gives us the cold shoulder for a few hours as punishment for leaving her. Dogs have their own personalities and you won't know until you pick them up how they are going to react.

Definately - recent week long hospital stay came home to a depressed dog, he was very excited to have me home but took 2 weeks to really get settled again into his usual routine, just slept alot and kept following me around and coming and checking on me etc.

When my partner and I broke up he spent months searching everywhere and slept on his side of bed on the pillow and when we would go out if he saw a male with a cap on he would pull my arm off trying to get to this person only to find it was not who he thought, it was all very sad really, it has been 3 years now and he still does this, so they don't forget. :(

Edited by zeebie

I'm never gone long enough for my two to miss me. :laugh:

Minty loves any male visitors, even my housemate, she is just all over the men, the tart.

I regularly mind a friends Newfoundland when she goes away for work or holidays (long weekends up to 4 weeks), and when she returns, the dog goes absolutely nuts. She whines, and howls, and kisses, and leans all over her, and she is just a joy to watch. So much devotion to her owner. While she is here, she settles well, eats and sleeps (she is old now) but she only has eyes for her Mum. :D

I think each dog is slightly different and it depends on what happens when you are not there.

Some dogs do pine for a certain owner and it can take a lot of work on our part as carers to distract and support those dogs through any separation.

On the whole though - I have found the vast majority of dogs settle very very quickly and throw themselves into what is going on around them - walks, plays, feeding, treats, exercise, training.

I find it much like small children, give them a clear reliable routine with LOTS of activity and soon enough they are good as gold.

This doesn't mean they won't be delighted to have you back, but dogs are for the most part not "emotional" in the same way as us.

If you have them in good hands, you can be sure they are having a great time.

It is only the very rare dog that will truly fret for you while you are away - despite the very best efforts of your carer.

Have a good break.

My dogs launch themselves into my arms every evening when I return from work :laugh:

They definitely miss us when I or OH travel. They keep looking at the door every few minutes in the evenings. But they otherwise have no separation anxiety. It's more like they'll play for a while, then look at the door, then go and sleep for a while, then look at the door.

But I get a huge welcome when I get back!!!!!

I have a foster dog who was surrendered. I know his first/previous owner loved and doted on him but circumstances meant she could no longer keep him. I could see the sadness hanging from him when he arrived. It took weeks for him to settle in and show what a truly lovely boy he is. I'm sure if his previous owner turned up now, two months on he would still go crazy to see her.

My dog does this funny little leap when he sees us get home. Then he "rounds up" the car and seems to be herding it into the garage laugh.gif then he'll stand at the door whining for us as we get ourselves organised to get out of the car. Then when he's done his "greeting duties" (usually involves being hugged and patted and talked to by me) he wanders off to his kennel biggrin.gif