Measuring For A Dog Coat

MadWoofter

Tess is getting older and starting to feel the cold now, so I want to get her a coat to wear of an evening. I've measured from the bottom of her neck to the end of her spine - is this correct?

If I'm doing it right then I need to find somewhere that sells really really big coats, as I've not managed to find one anywhere near the size I need :laugh: I guess I'm measuring wrong.

Yes you're right - measure from the base of the neck to the base of the tail. Some coat sizing request that you measure chest width/depth as well, but I notice in more current times that they don't so much now - not that I've seen anyway.

What is Tess's length, MadWoofter?

Thanks Erny - she's 71cm !!!

I thought I was doing it right but then all the places I looked had only have sizes that go up to 60cm, so I started to doubt myself.

Even Fleming is more than 60cm, and he's not what I would call big.

I'll keep searching - either that or I'll have to dust off my non-existent sewing skills !

Thanks Erny - she's 71cm !!!

My boy is 71cm as well. I just bought him a 70cm Weatherbeta coat (via horseland). Fits him really well with a bit of room to spare.

Edited by Erny

I have a huge Weatherbeeta here that has never been used.

Several years ago, my OH's auntie bought it for her Dobermann without doing any measurements... off season. When it came time to putting it on realised it was way too big. A few months ago she handed it over to me asking me to sell it for her :banghead: and I have not got around to doing anything. I wish I had just told her "No" :laugh:

So, it is not recently manufactured, but it has never been worn. Too big for our dogs also. I think it is a 70cm, but might be bigger. I will dig it out... by memory it is a mauve color??

I will check the size and get back if you are interested.

-------

OK, I just checked it, it is a WeatherBeeta Reflective Landa. It is 70cm, Mauve tearstop outer canvas with a navy blue cotton lining. It still is in it's original plastic zippered bag, but seems to have a small section (about an inch) on the chest velcro strap where the grey color has faded or discolored and gone a bit yellow.

Seriously, if it was mine I would be happy to give it away if someone paid the postage, but as it is not mine to give, I am sorry, I can't. So I was thinking $15 sounds fair? Plus postage.

Edited by dyzney

I posted this info in the dogs craft thread as well but Kwik Sew pattern 3357 is a no sew dog coat that goes up to 66cm. It wouldn't be hard to make it longer to suit a larger sized dog and you should get 2 coats out of the one piece of fleece fabric. So it is a cheap and easy option for DIYers who can't sew.

OK, I just checked it, it is a WeatherBeeta Reflective Landa. It is 70cm, Mauve tearstop outer canvas with a navy blue cotton lining. It still is in it's original plastic zippered bag, but seems to have a small section (about an inch) on the chest velcro strap where the grey color has faded or discolored and gone a bit yellow.

Seriously, if it was mine I would be happy to give it away if someone paid the postage, but as it is not mine to give, I am sorry, I can't. So I was thinking $15 sounds fair? Plus postage.

If MadWoofter doesn't buy it, I would love to buy it for my current foster greyhound.