Building A Kennel

OH & I are drawing up blue prints for a custom kennel, one that we will build.

I want it quite big and luxurious :) but i need some ideas... so I was wondering if people could post up photos of their dog houses and thow in some suggestions, I would also like to know if a 2 dog house is a good thing to do, or if i should make two separate ones??.... Look forward to everyones input.

Guest english.ivy

I will take photos today but my partner and I built a custom kennel on the weekend. It's huge!

Fully insulated, off the ground and completely water proof.

Both my partner and I with two dogs can fit in it. I often sit in there with Badger :laugh: He loves it.

Ours is one whole kennel, with a half covered in front. Hard to explain but I'll take photos for you.

All up it cost us about $50 but worth a few grand to buy new I guess.

The joys of my OH being a building supervisor.

I had this one built to fit back into the garden bed so it didn't take up any yard space. I had it left open at the front because my boys like to see everything. The roof is insulated. It looks like it is sloped but it is level (it is the yard that is sloped) but slight tilted forward so I can hose it out. It has enough roof overhang that the kennel doesn't get wet inside even with a real heavy storm.

post-1668-0-95467500-1339568234_thumb.jpg

Guest english.ivy

Took some quick photos ..

Badger can easily sit in it and pull funny faces

kennel2.jpg

On wheels and high off the ground

kennel1.jpg

Guest english.ivy

Look at me, NOT the kennel!

kennel5.jpg

We lined the inside with plywood [i think], like $8 a sheet and hopefully chew proof. The floor is decking.

kennel4.jpg

Ceiling isn't lined as we ran out but we might add to that over Summer. Just see how it goes.

kennel3.jpg

Excuse the horrible quality...iphone photo post foam destruction!

These have proven to be the best kennels Ive ever had. The dogs just love them. The sides are not cold, timber seems to be well insulated and they are a great 'hidey hole'. There is a piece of timber in the bottom to level out the sleeping surface.

477390_10150729668351130_1597935993_o.jpg

I might add that one didn't get used for a few months...apparently they didn't like the smell of a beautiful Cab Sav :laugh:

Edited by Inevitablue

Guest english.ivy

Having it on lockable castors is a good idea so you can move it around.

Ours has one lockable swivel, one swivel and two solid castors. Though due to the size and weight, we didn't need to lock the wheel. Ours all sleep together, so we opted for one big kennel.

I've got a huge kennel would have held 3 GSD's but I did, in the end, divide it. Dogs were happier. ETA and I had two doorways so lees chance of anything happening in a door way.

Edited by Rebanne

Nice dog houses everyone. Those whisky barrels are pretty unique, 2 thumbs up! smile.gif

Definitely needs to be big and luxurious TCM, for OH's sake, for those times when they get sent to the 'doghouse'. laugh.gif

My dogs house is just a store bought igloo.

Edited by GeckoTree

EI if you are wanting to insulate the roof, can I suggest looking at Bondor panelling?? It is Cool room panelling and comes in a range of thicknesses and I believe they may even make one specifically for roofing??? Not sure.

There is a warehouse in Canning Vale I think, Perth anyway I just got a heap of panelling for my kennels from there.

Theyre all awesome! We have been talking about doing this too!! I think we would make two because Lili can be a complete bitch and I can see her not letting poor Mo in :laugh:

It's so much cheaper than buying them new and Mo needs a very big one...might get started in the weekend! Keep it up with the ideas/pics!! :)

Guest english.ivy

EI if you are wanting to insulate the roof, can I suggest looking at Bondor panelling?? It is Cool room panelling and comes in a range of thicknesses and I believe they may even make one specifically for roofing??? Not sure.

There is a warehouse in Canning Vale I think, Perth anyway I just got a heap of panelling for my kennels from there.

Ooo thanks. Ill look into costs. Think we will need to do it for summer!