My Favourite Subject, Can You Guess?

Kirislin

Love your action shots Kirislin....I find shots like these very challenging...mind you I dont get much opportunity with two couch potatoes to practice!

you need to come to the whippet races, you will get plenty of chances there. :laugh:

shutter speed 1/250th trying out my new Sigma lens

You cant pan much slower than that if you want to see any detail on a whippet. Harder than taking race car or bike shots because they are rigid, these little dogs flex every which way.

7396799248_43668c666f_b.jpg

IMG_1587dpptc by kirislin, on Flickr

7396795848_f38d5a63a3_b.jpg

IMG_1588dpptc by kirislin, on Flickr

Brilliant photos, I would love to be able to achieve what you have in these photo's especially the last two :thumbsup:

Love your action shots Kirislin....I find shots like these very challenging...mind you I dont get much opportunity with two couch potatoes to practice!

Great pictures

:thumbsup:

brilliant!!

:D

Thankyou all for your comments. :D I do appreciate them.

I bought the Sigma 17-70 but I didn't realise the Canon program wont recognise it so I can't correct lens distortion in DPP. I also didn't realise it wont go on a full frame camera. I already have a Canon lens with similar range although it doesn't go down to 2.8 but I was a bit silly, didn't research enough before pushing that buy now button. :shrug:

Great shots, do you find more practice you get taking these shots the better at it you become?

I don't mean your shots have ever been bad quite the opposite really, the are always been fantastic. I just notice when I'm taking action shots of the dogs, mostly jumping shots I like them more each time and think I've nailed it more than the last time if that makes sense.

Also my action shots are not panning just frozen shots. Panning is hard. :laugh:

Look forward to the beach shots, rug up!

Edited by tlc

I'm sure I've improved with practice but it's got alot to do with the settings you have on the camera as well as just pushing the button at the right time. there are probably hundreds of variations you can have on the 7D, be in for a shock, it's not just a matter of charging the battery and turning it on. If you dont have if configured to the conditions and the effect you want, you might be disappointed. That's the part I've found hard, there's so many factors. Even if I do have it all correct I still might miss a shot, and I wont always know if it's cause I've got something set up wrong or if it was just bad luck. But when it all falls into place, it's magic.

Edited by Kirislin

I can imagine my mind will boggle when I start to play. :laugh: I am prepared for there to be a lot of learning!!

You should be OK then, you've bought a few books on it haven't you? I didn't do that, I've only read the manual and threads on POTN. You'll always be able to compare and ask what others here have done too.

Well I wouldn't say bought. :laugh: I actually looked at the files the other day and they are huge so can't email them. But Id be happy to send them to you via post on a usb stick. I have to go to work now but i will let you know tonight what they are and you can let me know if you want me to send them off.

I think the best shots I took were in manual but last Sunday I was trying Shutter speed priority and Auto ISO.

Those ones you posted looked pretty sharp to me.

Edited by Kirislin

I try not to post the ones that aren't in focus. :p

Now that I've got a camera that can handle going above ISO200 without noise.. lol.. I've started trying out auto ISO as well a week or so ago. I love that I don't have to worry about the shutter speed dropping too low or the aperture opening up too much, depending on which setting I have it on. The ability to set the maximum ISO that you want and minimum shutter speed is brilliant. I think my biggest problem with action shots is that I don't have a helper to play with Justice while I concentrate on taking the photos, so I tend to move the camera while I'm shooting instead of keeping the camera steady. I need to try and convince someone to come out for a play date with me so I can see how I go when I'm only worrying about the camera.

This is my biggest problem too when it comes to photographing my own whippets.

I'm the same boat with my lot, I need a ball thrower and a helper to get them jumping stuff! :laugh: My OH comes occasionally but he gets sick of the camera thing pretty quick!

Kirislin the books are THIS ONE and THIS ONE and THIS ONE

Let me know if you would like them and I'll post them off on a USB, just pm me your address.

Edited by tlc