Ham Bones

westiemum

I usually buy beef soup bones but this morning I saw some really meaty ham bones in the supermarket - almost bought some but then hesitated as I wasn't sure if they were cooked and might splinter?

Can someone enlighten me? Do you feed ham bones at all?

TIA :)

Never EVER give my dogs ham bones!!

And from bitter experience, they don't get leftover pea n ham soup either, no matter how much they beg for it.....it ain't pretty coming out!!

Ham bones are often the reason we see so many pancreatitis cases over Christmas

It only took my boy too many raw lamb bones - would never risk feeding many pork bones and not ham bones :( ..

Pig meat should not be fed raw as pigs and dogs can share parasites and diseases etc.

I have never had a problem with it, our guys love pork bones... im not sure which part of the pig it is, but its a huge bone that the dogs gnaw on all day... and the butcher gives it to me for free...dogs eat weeks old rotted bones that they have dug up... im sure parasites would grow on that as well?

Note: All Raw

Edited by TheCheekyMonster

Guest english.ivy

My two once had free range pork off cuts. Fat wasn't overly bad and had no ill effects. The bones were mainly joints. Only because I wanted to get them bones and there were only pork avail that day.

Ham bone .. no I wouldn't. Wouldn't even give them ham meat, too salty.

Thanks everyone - that's what I thought. So will skip the ham and pork bones and go back to the beef bones!

My guys adore bones so apart from beef and marrow bones, what other types of bones do people recommend?

TIA :)