My Dog Hates Being Carried

giraffez

Recently my boy seems to hate being carried. As soon as he is lifted off the ground slightly, his lips are curled and shows teeth and a bit of a growl. I used to be able to distract him with a treat but lately it seems to be worst.

I need to carry him into the bathtub and he doesn't like being bathed very much. When i carry him out of the bath tub its not a problem.

Is this the only place you carry him? It could be that he knows he is going to the bath as he doesn't like it? Is it possible that he is sore anywhere? although if this was the case he would do it getting out of the tub too.

Id say he is just pre emptying his bath and letting you know he is not happy. How often do you carry him other places? Perhaps get into the habit of picking him up occasionally so he never knows when it is bath time.

I could be totally barking up the wrong tree, lets see what others say?!

Sounds like if he doesn't do it when you carry him out of the bath - he's doing it coz he knows he's being carried into the bath!

Start picking him up and carrying him other places, just for no reason. If you only ever picked me up to take me yukky places, I'd hate being picked up too!

thanks, yeah i only carry him for taking a bath. I do bring him onto my lap often but that is quick and sweet and he is not off the ground for long.

Now that he is nervous when i carry him, how do i do it more often... because he would now think he is going to get a bath

He is always 100% ok when i get him out of the bath and carry him 20 steps into the laundry to get blow dried. Initially i did think that the way i'm picking him up may be the issue but it doesn't explain why he is okay getting out of the bath. I pick him up with one arm under his arm and my hand carrying his butt. He does hate getting picked up with both hands under his two arms like how you pick up a baby so i never do that anymore.

Just pick him up every now and then. For instance you could pick him up and give him a treat. Pick him up and then put him down for his dinner. If he enjoys going for a walk you could pick him up and then put him down and put his lead on and take him for a walk :)

Some Schnauzers hate being picked up under their belly. Place a hand around his chest and one around his butt, and carry him like a parcel. Agree with others, that he knows he is being carried to a bath. Mine run outside as soon as they hear the laundry tap going. :D

He does hate getting picked up with both hands under his two arms like how you pick up a baby so i never do that anymore

..and I am very glad you don't :) That is not a comfortable way at all to pick up a dog of any size, IMO ..they are not built like human babies ..

maybeeeee?

a couple of times a day ... take some yummy treats into the sink/bath ..place a towel on the floor of the sink/bath to stop any slipping (which I guess you do anyway, when washing him )... pick up dog ...no talking ...just march into the laundry..place him in teh tub ..keeping hold of his collar ..and stuff him with treats for a minute or so ..praising him if he eats them ... then , without speaking.. pick him up,and take him back to the lounge or wherever ....

thanks, yeah i only carry him for taking a bath. I do bring him onto my lap often but that is quick and sweet and he is not off the ground for long.

Now that he is nervous when i carry him, how do i do it more often... because he would now think he is going to get a bath

He is always 100% ok when i get him out of the bath and carry him 20 steps into the laundry to get blow dried. Initially i did think that the way i'm picking him up may be the issue but it doesn't explain why he is okay getting out of the bath. I pick him up with one arm under his arm and my hand carrying his butt. He does hate getting picked up with both hands under his two arms like how you pick up a baby so i never do that anymore.

It probably is a dislike of being bathed, but consider where you bath him - is it at floor height or waist height for example? Some dogs find being picked up from a height quite daunting, especially if it is done too quickly so that is a factor I would consider might explain the anxiety getting in but not getting out if the actual bathing is not the issue.

Assuming you're not causing pain by doing so start picking him up more often, for no particular reason, but when you do be mindful that you must not put him down until he is relaxed.

Consider why he doesn't like being bathed and what you can do to change it. Is it the temperature of the water or room, the noise of the taps, the feel of the surface, the size of the tub, the weight of the water, the washing of certain areas, you leaning over him etc. Then, if it is practical to do so, try bathing him somewhere else that you've never used before but prior to actually washing him create a positive association by feeding him there etc.

He does hate getting picked up with both hands under his two arms like how you pick up a baby so i never do that anymore

..and I am very glad you don't :) That is not a comfortable way at all to pick up a dog of any size, IMO ..they are not built like human babies ..

Moose hates this too. I always pick him up either 2 hands under his chest if picking him up to put him somewhere (lounge/bed etc) or one hand under his chest and one under the butt if carrying him around. I don't get snarls if heading to the bath, I get ears back and sad eyes. :laugh:

I agree with others, make sure you pick him up a few times a day and do something fun like play a game or give a treat (once he's not snarling of course). He needs to not associate it with just baths. Of course, if he keeps doing it make sure you do get him vet checked to make sure it's not pain related.

Good luck. :)

I'd start when he is on your lap, keep hold as you stand up and carry him into another room where you already have his dinner ready or another room where you have some treats waiting, or carry him to get his lead before going for a walk. Just generally pick him up for a few seconds for a quick cuddle and pop him back down.

If he likes to jump, you can teach him to jump into your arms.

thanks all, very good advice. I will practice that.

I currently do it with a liver treat in one hand and pick him up when he is trying to get it out of my hand. He no longer tolerates that and will fight me off. Will try outside the normal bathing period.