Dogs Facial Expressions

MsKatie

Just been thinking about this as - having a kelpie and a bloodhound - they have totally different facial expressions and i find Earl (bloodhound) always strikes me as looking sad. I know that this is not the case but the kelpie seems to be easier to read.

Anyone else find this?

Edited for spelling (I'm on holidays - think my brain is too :))

post-25263-0-35557500-1340971010_thumb.jpg

post-25263-0-83374200-1340971281_thumb.jpg

Edited by KelpieHoundMum

Yes :) We had a Ridgeback hanging out with the kelpies yesterday and after about 20 minutes we started calling her "Eeyore" :laugh: After having the intense "are-we-about-to-do-something-awesome?!?!" smile from the kelpies 24/7, a dog with jowls and less energy takes some getting used to :p

Edited by Weasels

lol with my GSD's you can certainly tell by their facial expressions what their mood is. They can do the sad/glum face, the happy smile face and the im p'd off look too :laugh:

A good friend has a cocker spaniel who always looks sad, but that is just due to his droopy eyes lol

It is more difficult to read the facial expressions of dogs with heavier or excessive facial folds. They're still there but sometimes less obvious than other dogs. Droopy eyes can also make it more difficult too. Watching for whole body cues, soft relaxed body, hard stiff body, tail position, head position will give you additional cues to how the dog is feeling as well.

lol with my GSD's you can certainly tell by their facial expressions what their mood is. They can do the sad/glum face, the happy smile face and the im p'd off look too :laugh:

A good friend has a cocker spaniel who always looks sad, but that is just due to his droopy eyes lol

Yep.

The eyes are a give away.

That was put up some time ago...by Weg I think

The many faces of an Irish Setter !!!

How true, the clown princes of the show world... Adore them.http://www.dolforums.com.au/public/style_emoticons/default/thumbsup1.gif

My mini bull has a permanently tragic expression which puts me in a state of constant guilt. Except when he's out exercising, in which case I take (and possibly miscontrue) his panting for smiling. As a result he's extremely fit!

When you are used to your breed you can read expressions that others can't.

I will never forget a family BBQ at our place some years ago, the dogs were watching us eat and my BIL looked at them (at the time 5 Pugs and one Mastiff) and commented "Gawd. They all look like they've won Tatts and lost the ticket!"

Cracked me up at the time :laugh:

When you are used to your breed you can read expressions that others can't.

I will never forget a family BBQ at our place some years ago, the dogs were watching us eat and my BIL looked at them (at the time 5 Pugs and one Mastiff) and commented "Gawd. They all look like they've won Tatts and lost the ticket!"

Cracked me up at the time :laugh:

Lol! From the owner of one sad-faced breed to another :laugh: I'm very tempted by Pugs you know RuralPug :thumbsup: