Cartrophen (sp?)

Mim

Hi, does anybody have a rough price for Cartrophen (I think I'm spelling that incorrectly) injections? If you have used Cartrophen for your dog, what sort of results did you get?

We've had two elderly dogs on cartrophen. We got great results from the first course but I felt the second course and boosters were not worth the money as there seemed to be little or no response. We achieved much better results with glyde and no longer give our senior girl the cartrophen boosters.

I can't remmeber the price but with my old GSD it extended his life at least 2 years. He got hammered into the ground by an angry mumma goat and did damage to his spine. The spine seemed to have fused (but this may have been an earlier issue made worse by goat). He had troubles walking. Within a few days of the first shot he could walk again. Did the 4 week (I think) course. Then just over a year later it started playing up again - another shot. Then 11 months again it got worse. Had another shot but died of another issue a few months later.

My friend's 8yo Timber Shepherd was quite lame and after the 4 shots - came good. That was over a year ago and she hasn't been lame since.

My boy gets Cartrophen injections for his arthritis. Initial course was one injection a week for 4 weeks, and now he only gets one injection every three months. I pay about $25 dollars for the injection and my vet doesn't charge a consult fee if we're just there for the Cartrophen. Although x-rays show Spence has quite bad arthritis in his hips, he doesn't really show any symptoms like stiffness etc. The only way to tell with him is his gait when walking. Before the Cartrophen he paced during walks, since starting the injections he trots :)

We've had two elderly dogs on cartrophen. We got great results from the first course but I felt the second course and boosters were not worth the money as there seemed to be little or no response. We achieved much better results with glyde and no longer give our senior girl the cartrophen boosters.

Similar experience here - slight improvement for a short period after the end of the initial course, but no response to the boosters. My older dogs continue to get glyde.

My old boy used to get it in winter time. An injection a week for 3 weeks in a row, would last him all winter.

Cost from memory was $45 total, with no consult fee charged...

I think it worked wonders and you could really tell the difference..

My old girl is on them but I bought a bottle and do it at work. Hard to tell if it helps because she is also on glucosamine and Sasha's blend, but the combination has definitely made a huge improvement to her life.

I have had a few dogs on it over the years and yes it made a big difference.

I use to do a course of four with one dog about every 6 months. With another he was on a course of 4 over the cooler months and then went to a monthly top up after an initial dose of 4 until he sadly died. :cry:

About $33 per shot was the last price I paid.

Wonder drug here too. Shows improvement from the first one of the 4 week course (she has it twice a year) about $33 each too .

Our dog is 13 two weeks ago she was very very sore (and being treagted with rapigel for those sore days) since then has so far had two injections plus her joint guard powder and this morning she decided she was going to nick off and run with a very fast and lively border collie. Even ducked past me first grab (to restrain her since other dog was heading back where we came) and did her best to keep pace.

The price is based on the dog's weight so it will vary depending on size. I used it years ago on an oldie and it worked wonders but the vet I was using at the time said it worked on most but not all dogs.

My dog's chiro does it for $10 on top of his consult :thumbsup:

We found that it made a big difference (along with the chiro treatments, unsure which caused the change) to my 7 year old's stiff hips. He is quite noticeably less stiff and HAPPY - never knew this much happiness could come from this dog.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe it was a huge help to our family Kelpie, easily extended his quality of life up until the end of his life.

We gave him a shots and was a huge boost to him in his later years. It was coupled with some Pain Killers though.

Can't remember exactly but we gave him 2 or 3 courses when his arthritis in his hind legs got really bad.

We have lots of patients on Catrophen and a majority of them benefit from it greatly.

Depending on size of the dog injection price varies from $25-$45. First appointment there is usually a consultation fee as the vet will do a health check etc before hand. After that it's just the injection fee.

Some vets will also sell the bottle or the course of injections to you if you tell them that it's difficult for you to get into the clinic to complete the course.

Fish oil in the diet can help alot too.