Queen's Corgis Attack Terrier

Chris the Rebel Wolf

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/theroyalfamily/9485644/Queens-corgis-attack-Princess-Beatrices-terrier-Max.html

They may be among the Queen's favourite subjects but her corgis are in the doghouse after getting into a fight with one of Princess Beatrice's pets.

Max, an 11–year–old Norfolk terrier, is said to have been badly injured after a "nasty" encounter at Balmoral castle last week.

The Princess's pet nearly lost an ear and suffered several bloody bite injuries that had to be treated by a vet, in the latest in a series of scraps between royal dogs.

It came days after the death from natural causes of another dog belonging to the Duke of York's elder daughter.

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh were said to be "very upset" about the incident, thought to have occurred last Sunday.

The Queen was elsewhere in her Scottish castle when the fight erupted between six corgis and three Norfolk terriers.

Her dog walker was leading the group through one of the castle's corridors when they became "overexcited" and began "fighting among themselves".

"The Queen's dog boy was taking the corgis for a walk and they were joined by the Norfolk terriers, which came with Prince Andrew," one insider told a Sunday newspaper.

"They were being taken along the long corridor leading to the Tower Door before being let into the grounds for a walk, and they all became overexcited. They began fighting among themselves and unfortunately the dog boy lost control.

"The next thing we knew there were horrific yelps and screams and it seems the corgis picked on Max.

"He was very badly injured and had to be taken to the local vet. There was blood everywhere.

"The Queen and the Duke were very upset when they were told but the dog is really Beatrice's and she wasn't there either. She later came up to Scotland and has been looking after Max.

"He was very lucky to survive. I heard the Princess was very upset because another of her Norfolk terriers, Millie, died from natural causes just a week or so before."

Max has been a treasured companion of the Princess, 24, since she received it for Christmas when she was 13.

The dog featured on the family's 2005 Christmas card in a photograph taken by the Duchess of York. Its picture was also on a £450 handbag that she carried to the Royal Family's Easter service at St George's Chapel in 2004.

Max disappeared in 2008 from the family home in Windsor Great Park, and a search party, including the Queen, the Duchess of York and Princess Eugenie, was formed.

Three weeks later he was found bedraggled and hungry. The royal source added: "It's ironic that the Queen was very worried about Max and helped in the search for him, but now her own dogs have attacked him."

The Queen owns three Pembroke Welsh corgis called Monty, Willow and Holly, which are all descended from a dog she was given for her 18th birthday, which was called Susan.

Some corgis were mated with dachshunds, most notably Pipkin, which belonged to the late Princess Margaret, to create "Dorgis". Her three Dorgis are called Cider, Candy and Vulcan.

A Buckingham Palace spokesman declined to comment today.

Recipe for trouble I think - Nine dogs being walked by one dog walker. I don't care what size they are, I think just goes to show you that any dog no matter the breed is capable of moments of aggression.

I don't know a great deal about the Queen's corgis and how they are kept, I wonder how much socialization they have had with other dogs aside from the occasional visitor with their pet?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some years ago, Princess Anne received a dangerous dog warning from the council after her bull terrier attacked another dog and bit someone. She was taken to court over it from memory.

' dog boy' lol. Reminds me of Mel Brooks' 'piss boy' to the French royal family in History of the World

Sometimes people get fooled by Corgis' small size and fluffiness, but they're cattle herding dogs! Put one up against an angry cow and you can see how tough and scrappy they really are

Edited by Weasels

And what's your job, young man?

"I'm the 'dog boy' ..."

Yeah....that stuck out to me too....WTF?

They're all a bunch of old eejits, why would we expect they know how to handle dogs.

You think so...the Queen is actually a very good dog handler and trainer, her Sandringham Labs have always competed with the best in working gundog trials.

Pack fights can happen in any group of dogs...any breed...why this is even newsworthy is beyond me. Nothing like a little sensationalism to sell papers and mags.

"I'm the 'dog boy' ..."

They're all a bunch of old eejits, why would we expect they know how to handle dogs.

You think so...the Queen is actually a very good dog handler and trainer, her Sandringham Labs have always competed with the best in working gundog trials.

Pack fights can happen in any group of dogs...any breed...why this is even newsworthy is beyond me. Nothing like a little sensationalism to sell papers and mags.

Not really....I just detest the British royal family :laugh:

Sometimes people get fooled by Corgis' small size and fluffiness, but they're cattle herding dogs! Put one up against an angry cow and you can see how tough and scrappy they really are

Just let one of these tough Corgis pick on a feisty Tibetan girl.

Our Angel the tibbie was at a Blessing of the Pets at an Anglican Church. She was having a drink of water from the dish set out. The Archdeacon's big fat Corgi girl, named Victoria (after Queen Victoria), attacked her.

Wrong move, lady! Angel lit into her like a little flying dragon. Victoria retired whimpering. Her owner, the Archdeacon, told her it was her own fault for picking on a feisty foreigner. Seems he thought the British Empire was still in place.

Here's Angel getting a blessing on that day... after beating up on Victoria. Tibet 1 Britain 0

post-3304-0-10590000-1345525846_thumb.jpg

Actually most of the women and some of the men in the royal family are excellent dog and horse handlers.

Are they 'eejits' because they're old? I see them as being intelligent. Not an 'eejit' amongst them, IMO.

Actually most of the women and some of the men in the royal family are excellent dog and horse handlers.

Are they 'eejits' because they're old? I see them as being intelligent. Not an 'eejit' amongst them, IMO.

No, see my previous post, I just don't like them :laugh:

Sounded from the article like Prince Andrew could also have been there, not just the "dog boy" (which sounds bad but is probably a good job!).

Either way, sounds to me like a whole lot of dogs, by the sounds of it two separate packs, just being dogs. Unfortunate that someone got hurt, and hopefully they won't be walked together again, but I dont think one can claim "bad" dogs or "bad" handling just from what we've heard (ok misjudgment from the dog boy in agreeing to all 9 dogs walking together but you say no to a

Prince when you're a Royal employee).

"I'm the 'dog boy' ..."

Kind of like a lot of "attack" stories that happen...

Just let one of these tough Corgis pick on a feisty Tibetan girl.

Our Angel the tibbie was at a Blessing of the Pets at an Anglican Church. She was having a drink of water from the dish set out. The Archdeacon's big fat Corgi girl, named Victoria (after Queen Victoria), attacked her.

Wrong move, lady! Angel lit into her like a little flying dragon. Victoria retired whimpering. Her owner, the Archdeacon, told her it was her own fault for picking on a feisty foreigner. Seems he thought the British Empire was still in place.

Here's Angel getting a blessing on that day... after beating up on Victoria. Tibet 1 Britain 0

post-3304-0-10590000-1345525846_thumb.jpg

Hee hee - flying dragon! That picture is lovely :)