Escaping Dog

zifnab

Hi;

I'm after any ideas on how to find out how our dog is getting out. I'm pretty sure she can't jump the 6 foot fence, the gates are padlocked closed so no way to push them open. We though it must be the front patio gate which is the lowest point and also where we enter and exit the yard with her. However we had an electric fence up in that point and she's gotten out again.

She's 3.5 yrs old and only just started escaping. Always when we aren't home. I'm not sure why, this is a dog who doesn't like leaving the yard unless my husband and I are both with her. First instance was when the neighbors let off fireworks in the park behind the houses, she got spooked and ran. Came home the next morning with the skin worn off her pads. This is the forth time she has escaped, each time she has made her own way home.

Any ideas?

At the moment we've moved anything close to the gate away, and ordered a 'Trakapet' in case that doesn't work.

Side fences are wood and would only lead to another yard. Back fence is wire mesh, fairly large gaps, no room for a run up as the area is covered in heliconia's.

Front gates and back gates are wire mesh, no disruption to the weed matting covering them.

Patio gate is wood with the railings on the inside, probably around 1.6m high.

Mindy is a mixed breed, no idea on her breeding. 30kg of lean long legged dog. Possibly a greyhound bullbreed cross. I can't work out how to resize photo's on a mac, so no luck on pics unfortunately.

Will have to set up a camera and see if she's getting out where we expect. Hopefully find nothing as she stays in her yard....

Added pic of mindy:

post-34268-0-96813800-1346065863_thumb.jpg

Edited by zifnab

Here is what i think is the most likely escape point. Any suggestions in dog proofing it?

The table used to be closer, and we had bins up against the fence. This is moved as of tonight in case she is using those to jump off of.

post-34268-0-71410600-1346065975_thumb.jpg

Hmm..I'm not the most aesthetic of people- tend to "make do"

I would perhaps in a hurry .. make a drop down black shadecloth curtain ..to extend almost to the ground ... and so provide a visual barrier..and perhaps make her unsure ..

trellising attached to teh top of the fence/gate.

I would worry a LOT about collar or feet getting caught on the top palings ....

in case she is using those to jump off of.

:) bet she was !!

My dog had a good go at strangling herself by the collar on palings like that.

Fortunately I was there when she hooked herself, so was able to unhook her. And I don't leave the collar on her in the back yard any more. she is microchipped so I'm hoping if she does decide to escape that way, that the microchip will bring her back. So far even her favourite lawn mower man is not incentive enough to try jumping the gate again.

Had a fence very similar that my dog was getting over. Attached a plastic pole on a wire about 3 inches above the top of the fence so that she didn't have anything steady on top to use to pull herself over. Worked very well

I would try to block the dog's access to that part of the yard and maybe even build a secure run. The problem is that once a dog has developed a habit of escaping, they often keep making attempts even if you increase the height of the gate. Dogs can be injured in this way if they get a paw or collar caught.

Consider whether you might be better off leaving the dog inside when you are out, at least until you have a secure run built.

Most dogs have no idea how high they can jump but once they discover it, keeping them in is pretty much impossible without a roofed run when you aren't home. I have seen an 8 month old BC jump a 7' fence twice in 5 minutes and a Cocker cross go over a 7' fence in first minute she was put in a yard at a shelter. The biggest danger to fence jumpers is getting hung up by a collar, a foot or even toe. I have know of dogs to die shock from being hung on a fence by a leg, not just the collar.

My daughter's GSD caught her foot on a shorter fence with same palings - she stood up to look over in to the alfresco - and fortunately I heard her yelping from inside and managed to set her free with no injury. I would hate to think of a dog caught 6ft up.

Something like chicken wire attached at the top of the fence but curved back towards the yard may help if the dog is going over the top ...

Our now older boy jumped the back fence and ended up on the neighbours garage roof ... he was after a bird ... so it can be surprising just how high some dogs can jump.