What Is Wrong With Getting Another Dog For Your Existing Dog?

aussielover

As the title suggests; what is wrong with getting another dog for your existing dog? I've noticed this is frowned upon by the some in the DOL, rescue and breeder community.

As long as people have the means to look after 2 dogs and provide them with appropriate care, I don't see a problem?

For many people who work full time, this may be a good thing for the existing dog and new dog (provided they enjoy other dogs' company).

I'm considering getting another dog next year sometime, and I'll be honest, at this stage it would be primarily as company for my dog as well as me wanting to offer a good home to a second dog. I wouldn't get another dog unless I had the time and money for 2 dogs, which is why I'm holding off until next year when I'm more settled. I'd most likely be looking for an older (4-7 year old) rescue that enjoys other dogs company and can live in a 2 dog household. I'd take both dogs to training, although my current 2 year old would be the main focus for trialling (I probably won't have time to trial 2 dogs), the other dog could participate in training and come along to trials so wouldn't be missing out on any attention.

I am also considering fostering as an alternative to getting a second dog, but I don't know how stressful that would be on my current dog and mainly, myself.

I think if you can offer a good home for a dog, I don't see why the primary reason for wanting another dog as a companion to the existing dog should be a barrier to adoption.

Fostering is a great way to see if your dog will be readily receptive to having a companion around... and who knows, you may find yourself a new forever friend at the same time.

I agree with persephone - any new addition to your fur-family should really be for yourself first, and your other dog's companion second...

T.

Guest donatella

I think so long as there are other reasons to you wanting it ie you want it as well then its OK.

But some people might have a trouble dog and get a second dog thinking that with company it will be ok which isn't always the case.

What if dog1 doesn't like dog2? What happens to fog2 then?

Well I guess that's a risk you take when getting a second dog for whatever reason. Which is why it would be important to go to a reputable breeder or rescue group who would 1), hopefully be able to match you with a suitable dog and 2) could support you and provide you with appropriate help with training/rehoming etc if it did go wrong.

I've looked after friends dogs and my dog has been fine with it and really enjoyed their company. She is a dog that gets along well with most dogs and knows her place with other dogs (generally the bottom of the pack lol).

I guess if dog 1 is ill behaved then there's the potential for 2 badly behaved dogs which would be unpleasant

but surely if you couldn't control/train one dog (to your satisfaction), you would not get another....

surely if you couldn't control/train one dog (to your satisfaction), you would not get another....

:( wish it worked that way!

Often folks are unwilling/ineffective in setting down and being consistent about , rules and behaviours .. dog is getting up to mischief ..and so a new puppy is bought/found to keep Fido company and stop the owner having to work hard on fido ..cos he now has company and a playmate ....

Who said getting another dog is wrong??

The problem is people sometimes want another dog when in all reality the issues they have with dog 1 is something that needs to be addresssed .

Well I guess that's a risk you take when getting a second dog for whatever reason. Which is why it would be important to go to a reputable breeder or rescue group who would 1), hopefully be able to match you with a suitable dog and 2) could support you and provide you with appropriate help with training/rehoming etc if it did go wrong.

I am not sure many good breeders agree with that.

I personally would not sell a dog to be a test case with a dog with issues after all those issues are then that breeders problem to address/retrain & no dog should be considered in that fashion that if it doesn't work then its a simple as rehoming or piggy in the middle & if owners haven't made the effort to address dog 1 issues then dog 2 wont be any better off

Much more thought should be taken by the owner.

We do sell alot of pups as dog # 2 to owners who have a wonderful first dog & have decided its time to have another dog for all the right reasons & the dogs get on like a house on fire .

2 dogs is a wonderful thing when it goes right

I took a rescue SBT who was already 13 weeks old and who had been passed around a bit even though I had only lost my second dog (who was 12) only 6 weeks before. My other dog (who was 13 and the mother of the one who'd passed) had turned old before my eyes after her son went. I really thought I was going to lose her too.She was one of those dogs that liked being part of a pack and was very nurturing. I wasn't looking for another dog and the rescue pup's stay was initially just for a weekend but life came back into my old girl after she arrived and she devoted herself to turning that pup into a great dog. My old girl lived till mid last year - nearly 17! And that pup ended up being my heart girl so we both won.

We ended up being a three dog house when my sister moved in and after losing my old girl only having two just didn't feel right for either of us so we started fostering. That rescue pup that I wasn't even looking for is now an important part of making the dogs we currently foster ready for their forever homes.

From what I read people think dog one is bored or getting into mischief because it is bored.. They think getting dog number 2 will stop this .. I often wonder if they really think about the added time it will take away from them as in training, general care of 2 dogs when your home from work etc.... I would love 2 dogs for me and for Rogue he loves next doors dog that comes over and I love watching them interact. Then I start thinking about the times its just he and I and how special that is and I think why would happen with 2 dogs would I never get that special time with just one of them :-) I think one day I will get another but a few years down the track maybe when my family is bigger.... Nice thinking about it though, good luck with your decision and I hope it work out for you and your current dog :-)

Puppy_Sniffer what a lovely story :-)

Thank you! The funny part is my heart girl was the naughtiest dog for at least 3 years! She ate everything we owned and still can't pass by an uncovered doona or pillow without destroying them. The person who asked me to mind her for that first weekend still apologises to me for introducing us! But I happen to love a spirited and inquisitive dog and she has taught me not to be worried about taking in naughty foster dogs because I've been throught it all. Naughty doesn't mean they aren't loyal and loving; you just have to find a way to channel that specialness!

Puppy sniffer, your post is really touching & getting your second dog was obviously meant to be, fate has brought you your heart dog :)

I got my 2nd purely for me. I had room in my life & my heart for another. I certainly got alot more 2nd dog than I had planned for. My girl is very complex. So as I have always believed, "you don't always get the want, you get the dog you need". I think Stella was sent to make me learn more & hopefully become a much better handler. She has already taught me lots. I thought I kinda knew what I was doing before she arrived, Ha, I was wrong LOL.

The main worry for me was my first boy & them getting along & that Sonny enjoy's her company

people are just weary I guess.

I'm a believer that you should only get a dog for yourself and not for your dog.

You will be the one that's training, feeding and caring for the dog... so yeah, you should have to think if you have the time and committment for a second dog.

Puppy sniffer, your post is really touching & getting your second dog was obviously meant to be, fate has brought you your heart dog :)

I got my 2nd purely for me. I had room in my life & my heart for another. I certainly got alot more 2nd dog than I had planned for. My girl is very complex. So as I have always believed, "you don't always get the dog you want, you get the dog you need". I think Stella was sent to make me learn more & hopefully become a much better handler. She has already taught me lots. I thought I kinda knew what I was doing before she arrived, Ha, I was so very wrong LOL.

The main worry for me was my first boy & them getting along & that hopefully Sonny may even enjoy her company & not feel 'put out' with her being around. I couldn't have wished for a better result as it just warms my heart to watch Sonny now

he has just blossomed since Stella has joined us

They play together all the time, defend each other when need be & Sonny has taught her the ropes around here very well. So as much as it is harder in many ways raising & caring for 2 dogs & it is. For me it has been very rewarding thus far :)

Edited by BC Crazy

I don't see a problem with getting a second dog as company for the first. I feel really sorry for singleton dogs who are left on their own all day while owners are at work or shopping or socializing. Dogs are by nature pack animals - they should have company. You just have to accept that two dogs cause a lot more mischief than one! :-)

I don't see a problem with getting a second dog as company for the first. I feel really sorry for singleton dogs who are left on their own all day while owners are at work or shopping or socializing. Dogs are by nature pack animals - they should have company. You just have to accept that two dogs cause a lot more mischief than one! :-)

So leaving 2 in the above case makes someone a better owner :confused:

Many people work & own 1 dog & they are some of the best owners around & deserve a tad more respect.

We only ever owned 1 dog at a time originally & our 1 dog certainly wasn't missing out & yes my parents worked,use kids went to school & had after school activities but when we where homne the dog was a very important part of our life

I now more single dog owners out there than multi & would be happy to sell them a dog any day because there dog means the world to them .

Plenty of dogs don't enjoy being part of a pack & enjoy being an only child

I got my second dog because we always wanted two dogs but also as a companion for my first dog. It has worked out really well. They both get one on one time with us including separate walks and play time. But they are also best friends and adore each other. They are also very attached to us. I love watching them play with each other.

Two dogs is definitely more work and one has to be prepared for that. But it is worh it.

Showdog - I am not disrespecting anyone who chooses to own one dog. But I would be interested to know how you measure the assertion that single dogs are just as happy?

If the owner is lucky enough to be home all day and have the dog with them, or the dog heads off to work with them, then I think absolutely the dog can lead a fulfilled life. But surely sitting in a backyard, completely alone, for 10 hours a day can't be fun. Maybe some breeds cope better than others but not mine.

Lots of people can't have more than one dog for whatever reason. But if you have the time and money to accommodate two then I think that is far better for the dog.

Edited by Tangwyn