Brown / Tan Doberman Male Dog

Shodow Doberman

No - one does not leave dew claws on a Dobe.

Even I have worked that out from just owning them.

I love and admire them, but have never bred them and don't miss the fact that I have never bred one. Enjoy the beautiful dog. They are fantastic family dogs.

Edit to add: You really do need to know the lines as you may be passing on genes that you don't know about but should not be passed on. There are certain diseases in the Dobe lines that one needs to breed to avoid and one can only do that by knowing the lines and/or doing some very expensive testing - apart from all the normal tests.

Edited by noisymina

You said he is a purebred do you have his papers? Intact gorgeous male on gumtree you are lucky you found him before a dirty back yard breeder saw him.... :-)

Hello All,

I have a brown / tan pure bred Doberman male puppy (11 months old). He is very friendly and social with people and other dogs. He is registered in NSW registry. He is not de-sexed yet though. I am confused whether I need to breed him at least once and then desex him. I don't want to stop him passing on his genes. I love him very much. He is a part of my family.

I understand the health risks if I don't de-sex him (about him getting cancer). I also understand the impact of backyard breeders on animals.

I need expert advice from breeders on options, what do I need to do?

Thanks and regards,

Paz

You said he's registered, but is he actually mains registered?

I don't think so :(

I don't know his lineage as well.

I dint buy him from a breeder. Bought him from a lady who sold in gumtree.

You said he is a purebred do you have his papers? Intact gorgeous male on gumtree you are lucky you found him before a dirty back yard breeder saw him.... :-)

Hello All,

I have a brown / tan pure bred Doberman male puppy (11 months old). He is very friendly and social with people and other dogs. He is registered in NSW registry. He is not de-sexed yet though. I am confused whether I need to breed him at least once and then desex him. I don't want to stop him passing on his genes. I love him very much. He is a part of my family.

I understand the health risks if I don't de-sex him (about him getting cancer). I also understand the impact of backyard breeders on animals.

Thanks and regards,

Paz

I have had him since he was 8 weeks old. He was/is a gorgeous boi. Love him to pieces. It is a shame that I would have to de-sex him without passing on his good looks.

I love dogs and he is my first dog. He has changed my life so much and have never seen such loyalty with any other living being in this world.

I am emotional but I will go with your advice. I don't want to pass on any bad genes since I dont have his lineage.

Thanks and regards,

Paz

It is a shame that I would have to de-sex him without passing on his good looks.

:) if only it were that simple :p

Often pups turn out to have their very own looks ..and they may not be their father's ! There is no guarantee pups will turn out looking like him ....

Breeding is not a simple thing at all.........

Looking forward to more pics of your boy!

Oh..and he is only your first dog- let him teach you about dogs - use him as a stepping stone , follow his breed , and one day, perhaps, you will find a good solid gene poll that you have studied , and want to breed ethically from. :)

I have had him since he was 8 weeks old. He was/is a gorgeous boi. Love him to pieces. It is a shame that I would have to de-sex him without passing on his good looks.

I love dogs and he is my first dog. He has changed my life so much and have never seen such loyalty with any other living being in this world.

I am emotional but I will go with your advice. I don't want to pass on any bad genes since I dont have his lineage.

Thanks and regards,

Paz

best not to pass on his good looks along with some nasty disease that would see the death of a pup or two or more!

Good on you for thinking straight :thumbsup:

Good on you for thinking about this and wanting to do the right thing. I agree with everyone else here. Your boy is an unknown genetically and the best you could be with him is a backyard breeder which is in fact NOT the best you could be. As nice as he may be, you would be letting the breed, and potentially future puppy buyers too, down if you breed him.

BUT, this boy can teach you a LOT. Desex him. Join an obedience club if you haven't done so already - there are plenty of fun activities you can do with him and the more you learn about handling dogs and dog behaviour the better off you will be down the track if do DO wan't to be a breeder. Join a Doberman club too. Clubs often have things that pet owners can participate and it is a great way to learn.

Having a desexed dog of my breed, doing fun things with her, getting involved and letting her teach me was how I started off. IMO it is a great way to start :thumbsup:

Interesting thread and good advice.

My sister has a sort of problem, her old dog died recently at 16 so bought two puppies related to her original dog, both are on main register as was the original dog as she prefers the option to be able to show or breed one day. The family of these girls has very good health and soundness records.

having said that her previous girl she never did, young children and their classes got in the way.

The other day she made comment about the attitude of her vet when she took them for their third vaccinations.

She couldnt believe the pressure they put on her to book them for desexing? Went home far from happy at the pressure put on her over the issue so much so she rang me and asked whats going on? she was left feeling that unless she is activly showing her girls then she had no right to leave them entire that she was in some way abusing her dogs.

there is no way they can get out nor ever let wander the streets so absolutly no possiblilty of a accidental mating, 16 years of past history surely proves that. She died of old age no complication from living her whole 16 years undesexed and yes i know some can develop problems particularly the males as said above. She is certainly not happy with the attitude of her vet now.

I too have noticed the new generation of vets do not seem to even approve of registered breeders, one or two I have met working at my usual vets as locums have voiced the opinion that to breed a litter even a purebred litter only fuels the number of dumped dogs and rescues should be the preferred options for those wanting a pet.

wonder where they think the next generation of patients is going to come from?

or do they want to be out of a job after they have desexed every patient that comes through the door?

is it only me who wonders where the next generation will come from if that happens to all of them

Edited by asal

Thanks and regards,

Paz

There are so many more fun things you can do with him besides breeding! :) Come and join us in agility for one :D or one of the many other dog sports - so much fun!

I was terribly pressured to desex and i told them every time I went that I wasn't until 18mths. but that didn't matter.. desexing is easy money I guess .. The last time I went and once again i was asked why not, I really got stuck into the vet as i had enough.. unlike your sister I am desexing but at 18mths but i will no longer tolerate the persistant discussion of being told I need to desex now not at 18mths.. shits me actually :-)

My sister has a sort of problem, her old dog died recently at 16 so bought two puppies related to her original dog, both are on main register as was the original dog as she prefers the option to be able to show or breed one day. The family of these girls has very good health and soundness records.

having said that her previous girl she never did, young children and their classes got in the way.

The other day she made comment about the attitude of her vet when she took them for their third vaccinations.

She couldnt believe the pressure they put on her to book them for desexing? Went home far from happy at the pressure put on her over the issue so much so she rang me and asked whats going on? she was left feeling that unless she is activly showing her girls then she had no right to leave them entire that she was in some way abusing her dogs.

there is no way they can get out nor ever let wander the streets so absolutly no possiblilty of a accidental mating, 16 years of past history surely proves that. She died of old age no complication from living her whole 16 years undesexed and yes i know some can develop problems particularly the males as said above. She is certainly not happy with the attitude of her vet now.

I too have noticed the new generation of vets do not seem to even approve of registered breeders, one or two I have met working at my usual vets as locums have voiced the opinion that to breed a litter even a purebred litter only fuels the number of dumped dogs and rescues should be the preferred options for those wanting a pet.

or do they want to be out of a job after they have desexed every patient that comes through the door?

is it only me who wonders where the next generation will come from if that happens to all of them

Do you have his papers? Seems odd a purebred would be sold at 8 wks on gumtree from a registered breeder.......

Hello All,

Thanks and regards,

Paz

Thanks and regards,

Paz

Edited by mumof4girls

Hey Pa,

Your chocolate Dobe boy is STUNNING I do agree!

I understand your sentiment. Sometimes when I look at Maya who is six months old, I think to myself

"Wouldn't her puppies be beautiful... they might have her good nature and beauty and great conformation" - I think it is natural to want to share such devotion and love, for others to share the special bond we have with our dogs :)

However... I think of all the responsibility. I would have if I bred her. I think of all the money on vet bills and medications for the pups, vaccination and microchips and health tests. All the time off work I would need in order to look after mum and puppies.

I think of the tremendous responsibility of finding new homes for up to twelve or more puppies. What are the odds I could find up to a dozen people who would happily provide everything for their new pup I do for Maya? Even if I did, what if a circumstance changed? What if a spouse died and the puppy ended up at the pound, crying for their family? I don't think I could stand hearing a sad outcome for a puppy I has chosen to bring into the world.

I know I'm too emotional for puppy breeding. I wouldn't be able to let go. I'd be forever worrying about my babies. I wouldn't be able to be sure I'd found the right new owners.

And so... I decided that in order to share Maya's love around... instead of breeding, I would train her carefully, and let the people who meet Maya experience a breed they often have never seen before, and let people see for themselves how special she is :heart:

PS... In all honesty I decided all of this about breeding long before I brought Maya home or even thought about buying my new dog - but now I have her I am convinced it is the right choice :)

I do think we need pure bred dogs - dogs that breed true to type - that have genetic history and have been bred to reduce or eliminate known problems. Where else are we going to get our loyal (and healthy) pets from if SOMEONE does not breed them properly? That does not mean everyone has to!!!

Shodow Dobermann - I hope you have as many happy years with your Dobes as we have had with ours! Once you know one, you won't want to change. But I guess you have worked that out already!

I second the idea of finding the Dobermann club. Not all people in obedience clubs etc actually like Dobes - not all vets do either. They are very much a misunderstood breed! But let's just keep that our secret. :laugh:

I certainly don't discourage the OP from becoming a breeder if that is their wish :thumbsup: ....... just not with this boy.

Though this boy can be VERY valuable to their education on the path to becoming a good and responsible breeder.

Every dog (backyard bred, rescue and those from good breeders etc etc) is valuable in teaching us.

I thought my first Pyrenean was perfect. I didn't think I could get better. In some ways I was right as every dog is special as an individual.

Learning more and more about the breed though taught me to separate the love of an individual from knowledge about what was good and not so good in them from a 'breed' prespective.

It is important for a breeder to be able to separate these two things - to be able to love their dogs for what they are, but also be unemotionally critical of them from a breed perspective.

Not everyone can do this - my OH sure can't and I drive him crazy when I 'pick my dogs to pieces' :laugh:

But this thought separation of individual from breed example is something that all 'good' breeders must learn.

So OP, LOVE your boy, but also learn from him. He will be a valuable part of your journey, and not breeding him will not mean his value is lost.

So make the most of the opportunities he can bring you. He can bring you a whole new world :D .

I gather you missed the bit about he did not come with any papers not even a copy of his parents pedigree so certainly not from a breeder who wants to admit the parents may be pedigreed.

I met a chap who bought his puppy from a registered breeder but he was given the option of limit or main register almost double the price of the same pup with no papers even though the parents were registered and the pups kept by the breeder registered, so you cant assume anything about the parentage or the seller in that case.

rather made me wonder how may are doing that?

I darent name names as even the breeder of his previous pet that died of old age before this new one are pretty well known.

if he wants to reoport them I think I should leave it to him, I did tell him the practice as far as I am aware is not allowed in the rules for pedigree breeders. that all live pups must be registeered either limit or main.

Do you have his papers? Seems odd a purebred would be sold at 8 wks on gumtree from a registered breeder.......

Hello All,

Thanks and regards,

Paz

Thanks and regards,

Paz

Edited by asal

I gather you missed the bit about he did not come with any papers not even a copy of his parents pedigree so certainly not from a breeder who wants to admit the parents may be pedigreed.

I met a chap who bought his puppy from a registered breeder but he was given the option of limit or main register almost double the price of the same pup with no papers even though the parents were registered and the pups kept by the breeder registered, so you cant assume anything about the parentage or the seller in that case.

I darent name names as even the breeder of his previous pet that died of old age before this new one are pretty well known.

if he wants to reoport them I think I should leave it to him, I did tell him the practice as far as I am aware is not allowed in the rules for pedigree breeders. that all live pups must be registeered either limit or main.

I think people got confused as the OP stated he was registered, and was talking about breeding, so people assumed he was actually registered!

I think people got confused as the OP stated he was registered, and was talking about breeding, so people assumed he was actually registered!

one thing I have learned ever since microchipping came in, how many people think the microchip papers mean their puppy is "registered" :rofl:

one thing I have learned ever since microchipping came in, how many people think the microchip papers mean their puppy is "registered" :rofl:

You laugh but that is a total reality. Before I got my first dog I had no idea about anything to with dogs. I thought the sale documentation were his 'papers' :rofl:

But then funnily enough my OH's sister bought a Boston Terrier from a registered breeder. The breeder sent her the papers and she assumed they were probably fakes. I had to convince her that no they were actually real :rofl: But then she didn't understand their relevance.

So for people who don't know anything about dogs and the relevant associated bodies I can see how they get confused.

Obviously I now am much more informed :laugh:

Edited by kiesha09

So for people who don't know anything about dogs and the relevant associated bodies I can see how they get confused.

I can well understand how folks new to the world of buying a purebred dog get confused as to pedigree and registration, etc.

It must be very tricky and catch a lot of unwary owners. :/