Not Happy Jan - People Ignoring 'rules'

poochmad

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive always 'paired up' with a friend, so if she went away her dog would come to stay with me or vice versa. Whenever we would visit each other the dogs would come too so it felt like a second home for them. The dog's seemed to really like the arrangement, like an extended play date with their friends.

Mind you I leave an entire folder of instructions .........

Most important. :thumbsup: .

I do this, too, and give details of the dogs' likes and dislikes, idiosyncrasies, ways they like to play with each other - anything I could think of.

The last time I went away was over two years ago, but because I had dogs on medication, I did up a day by day list of everything that had to happen on each day, medications that day, etc etc. And when I came home, the dog/cat/house sitter had ticked off each item each day. I couldn't have been happier.

The only thing that worried me was whether they'd all want me back.

This thread is freaking me out. We are going away in 3 weeks for 10 days and have arranged for a friend to house sit and look after the dogs. She is very responsible but not really a dog person either. But I don't really feel comfortable leaving them in a kennel either.

• 3 weeks later...

Well happy to report I had a great experience with my house sitters, the dogs were well looked after for the two weeks and the house was immaculate when we returned, if anyone wants their details let me know, they travel all over in their caravan but prefer warm climates

I'd never trust house sitters with my dogs!

We are the same. The only people we trust to look after our Cavs at our house is my parents, but if only for a short time. They are getting on in age and getting very forgetful and bit too complacent with a lot of things.

We have left the cavs with their breeder, but just overnight. We trust her entirely.

We generally don't go away anyway.

I don''t even trust leaving them overnight if they were ill, at at the vets either now :(

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

We're going away for 3weeks over Christmas and I have a guy I work with staying at our house. He is a lovely older gent and I feel pretty comfortable with him being here.

As we will be in a caravan we are taking 2 dogs with us and leaving 2 at home, as well as 3 cats and 2 snakes for him to care for. My main instructions are that the dogs are not to leave the yard unless emergency (Acheron can be DA and its not worth the risk) and that if the weather is bad or there are fireworks that he let them inside.

I feel much better about someone staying here than the dogs being in a kennel for 3 weeks. I'll worry no matter what but at least I can check up on them equally and I know they'll be more comfortable being at home.

We've just come back from a 5+ week holiday to our home and dogs that had been looked after by house sitters. The dogs were happy, although a bit chubbier than when we left them. The house was not up to our standards of cleanliness, but we were prepared to overlook that as the dogs were so comfortable with them and they with them. However, I did discover that they ignored two of our rules, not to walk the dogs down the main street as Jindi is scared of strangers and we have worked really hard to get her to the point of being comfortable with people walking past, and that they are not to go out the front of the house without a lead on, as we live on a main road and our gate does not close properly.

When we were doing the hand over, they mentioned how the lady had tripped over on the main street while trying to console Jindi. I tried to remain calm as I knew that they had gone above and beyond to bond with the dogs, especially the female. It was revealed that they took her down to the main street when they did their shopping and even let people approach the dogs. They said they thought she was getting better at being on the main street, even though they reported that she often did not want to go for a walk and they would either tie her to a post and leave her for a minute while they walked off or would leave her at home and then return for her where she would then show an interest in joining them.

The fact that they blatantly ignored my instruction that she not be walked down the street due to her fear, really annoyed me. However, I was also prepared to let this pass as they also advised they watched her tail to see what her mood was and they went at quiet periods.

However, my friend who lives up our street advised that she often went pass and the front door was wide open and the dogs were out the front, either lying in the sun, sitting at the gate watching people going past or sitting in the doorway. This, I am not happy with. Had they been out the front doing something, then that would be forgivable, but my friend reported that the dogs were out there for hours. Not only do we have lots of traffic, both cars and people and anyone could have opened the gate, we have quite a number of aggressive strays who have gone for our dogs before and the front fencing would not protect the dogs from an attack as it is has an 'open' style.

Combined with them taking her down the main street, I am really pissed me off. What right is it of them to ignore the two most important rules that were advised in writing and verbalized? Did they think they knew better, or is it a generation thing (they are in their 60s), whereby they just do their one thing?

We are going away for 2 weeks next November and I am not happy about getting them back. I am happy to try another set of house sitters as the husband does not want them in a kennel; don't suppose any of you could recommend a reliable person/s?

Where abouts do you live. I am blessed to have a friend who ownss a pet sitting/walking/feeding & basic training business & also have 2 very close friends who know my dogs n livestock etc well too. It's horrible when you leave instructions & they are ignored specially when it's because the sitter wants to fix an issue or thinks they know better how to deal with your dogs issues etc. I won't use kennels as last time a left an older bitch in 1 with strict instructions about her care & that she was an escape artist to the max. Well the day I arrive to pick her up low n behold here is my 56 kg older bitch on the roofing running along the kennels n having goes at the guys in the work shop next door. When I say OMG why is she up there the owner of the kennels says well I just can't keep her in n she is happiest if she allowed her to do as she pleased of a day n was taking her to bed with her of a night. I left a good solid crate n said she should be crated inside the kennel of night so she doesn't break out , howl or rip her last few teeth out on the weld mesh n that of a day she should use 1 of their secure greyhound runs as I didn't think the boarding kennel runs would contain her. Anyway the women went on to say she would follow my instructions to just blatantly do as she pleased as soon as I left it seems.

Edited by eyeopener

We go away to Country Wide Cottages with our dogs. Otherwise all our trips are showing or trialling anyway, so the dogs come or we split us and them, some come, some stay.

We went away together on our honeymoon 6 years ago, just a 5 day trip to Tassie. Had a good friend come and stay. Never again. Though she is a wonderful dear friend, she just did the opposite of what we asked because she has different ideas on dog husbandry.

Came home to spoilt, fat dogs, pee on carpet, scratches on walls and found out things were done differently to how we asked. We didn't say anything as nothing was that bad, but bad enough to never ask her again.

We went away one other time 7 years ago for a week. Split the dogs - two in a kennel and two went to breeder. The kennel disappointed us and so did the breeder.

Every time my OH mentions a holiday, I just say NO. I can't bear the thought of it... does my head in just contemplating dealing with someone else not doing what they are asked to do.

Guest Labradork

I agreed to let a friend dog-sit my Lab when I needed to be in Melbourne for a few days... I was going to use a kennel, but my friend offered and she convinced me that everything would be okay. I wish I had trusted my instincts and declined. Basically, my friend did the opposite of everything I requested - and she was judgemental/condescending about how I choose to bring up my own dog.

Next time I go away, I will definitely use a highly-recommended boarding kennel.

Edited by Labradork

Wow I am extra grateful for my wonderful kennels reading this thread. I have a great place where I feel really comfortable leaving my dogs (well, just one dog now). It got to the point where Cal in particular used to stand and wait to get into the kennels and leave me behind! Then when I picked him up, he'd say hi to me and so forth, then after I'd finished paying he would wait at the door to get back in rather than the door to get out :laugh:

My OH has sometimes questioned my decision to leave them in kennels rather than with a friend etc, especially as he knows it costs me a fair bit. But I am just so much happier knowing they are completely safe and secure, and as happy as possible away from home. Finn has no road sense and tries to chase buses and trucks when we go walking, so I hate to think what would happen if he got let out.

I was considering starting to leave him with a friend I work with for the odd weekend, but maybe I should just stick to what I know.