What Flea & Tick Product Do You Use? Also What Heartworm?

I'm interested in what flea and tick product people use as well as the heart worm they use. Currently I use advantiq for flea and ticks every 3 weeks (I think 2 weeks is close together a dose but will be starting 2 week intervals because of coming months) and for heartworm I use sentinel spectrum. I'm tempted to possibly do the yearly injection for heartworm but have heard some disagreements towards the con side for this. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks

I use Advanxtix two weekly for fleas and ticks, and Inteceptor Spectrum monthly for heartworm. I wouldn't ever use the annual heartworm injection on my guys just for the sheer amount of chemicals injected at once into them.

If you think two weeks is too close together for flea/tick treatment, why would you consider 12 months worth of heartworming all at the same time?

Edited by minimax

Guest donatella

I went to use Advantix and asked my breeder what she thought of it but was told not to use it on Poms as shes had burns to the skin from it and knows of others who have, even called the company to let them know so now I'm back to Frontline Plus.

Heartworm I use Interceptor Spectrum as it covers all the worms.

Edited by donatella

Our Tibetan spaniel also had a bad reaction to Advantix (similar to burns mentioned by Donatella). I have been using Proban for ticks and Sentinel Spectrum for fleas and worms. It's worked well but we'll need an alternative soon for tick treatment.

I use Advanxtix two weekly for fleas and ticks, and Inteceptor Spectrum monthly for heartworm. I wouldn't ever use the annual heartworm injection on my guys just for the sheer amount of chemicals injected at once into them.

If you think two weeks is too close together for flea/tick treatment, why would you consider 12 months worth of heartworming all at the same time?

Never really thought of that minimax but that does make sense about the one huge dose instead of 12 monthly tablets.

My only issue overall is Ava seems to have a slight reaction to getting the advantiq where as as soon as it is put on her she's fine for about 10 minutes and then rubs all over the carpet (somewhat like it is burning her, but have checked and no burns) like she doesn't like it. She has done this since a puppy and have checked her but there are no red marks, burns etc. Wonder if anyone else's dog does this?

Our Tibetan spaniel also had a bad reaction to Advantix (similar to burns mentioned by Donatella). I have been using Proban for ticks and Sentinel Spectrum for fleas and worms. It's worked well but we'll need an alternative soon for tick treatment.

Yeah, not happy at all about no more Proban. :cry:

I'm down to my last few tablets. Just spent half an hour at a country vets getting some great advice on ticks. I am on hols & needed a tick twister & to have a couple of ticks on my dog looked at- I LOVE how much he was up for a chat! :D (didnt hurt that he was VERY cute too :rofl: )

Anyway... He was quite bothered by the end of Proban, said its been the best product for such a high tick area as he is in (nsw southern highlands). On his advice, I bought some advantix to apply a few days prior to each time we come to a tick area, we alwaya use advocate for the rest of the time.

Previously I've been concerned about using the advantix around our cat, but I'm satisfied now that she will be safe around our dog once the advantix dries.

I use interceptor for my kids for heartworm and internationals. Do not like hertworm injection as I think it is a large dose to have at one time.

I use comfortis for fleas (WIN this stuff is gold I swear) which is also a deterrent for ticks. (not on the label yet though there are studies being done that may result in this :))

Tick issues can also be helped by treating your environment (yard/house) and a thorough check every time you've been to a tick prone area like beach, walk to prevent them coming into your yard ;)

I use interceptor for my kids for heartworm and internationals. Do not like hertworm injection as I think it is a large dose to have at one time.

I use comfortis for fleas (WIN this stuff is gold I swear) which is also a deterrent for ticks. (not on the label yet though there are studies being done that may result in this :))

Tick issues can also be helped by treating your environment (yard/house) and a thorough check every time you've been to a tick prone area like beach, walk to prevent them coming into your yard ;)

Comfortis Has ABSOLUTELY NO ACTIVE INGREDIENT THAT KILLS OR REPELS TICKS in any way whatsoever. The active ingredient of Spinosad is totally NON effective for ticks. No studies are underway to ascertain any different claims. IT is widely known that spinsosads are totally useless in killing or repelling ticks. COMFORTIS IS NOT TO USED for protection of Paralysis ticks.

Comfortis ONLY treat ADULT fleas which are only 5% of the flea population. It cannot assist with reducing flea populations and its efficacy (efficiency) is only 14 % at 16 days after dosing. Also has many side effects: 1 in 5 dose suffer seizures, 1 in 5 dogs vomit on administration and it is not to be used on breeding MALES or FEMALES, or pregnant and lactating bitches also not suited for puppies under 17 weeks of age.

there are NO ORAL treatments registered for use against paralysis ticks in Australia and the reason Proban is now discontinued is because it contained Organophosphates which have been unregulated in Australia for some years now. The registration for proban has now lapsed and will not be renewed,

This season is shaping to be the absolute WORST season for paralysis ticks ever known. In QLD alone in the past 3 months (winter) have had 600 Paralysis tick reports from Treating vets of which 14 Dogs and 18 Cats sadly passed away. Dogs are being treated for Paralysis tick bites in Areas PREVIOUSLY NEVER known for tick pressure.

Protection is cheaper than a vet treatment.The most important thing to remember is Compliance ie. Apply FORTNIGHTLY and CHECK DAILY no treatment is 100% effective against Paralysis ticks. And Australia's version of ticks are THe most deadly in the world.