Crating N Kennelling Dogs

eyeopener

Thank you for your considered replies that's more along the lines I expected when I posted.

I confine my dogs at times for their n my best interest but was just surprised with the amount of hrs some feel is ok to confine their dogs for.

I did as if I was off base with the majorities feelings on the subject so had no issues if I was not agreed with.

To me they have a service n are needed at different times but personally if I needed to crate a dog all day every day whilst I worked I would make it a dog run.

I would be worried about my training abilities if my dogs where unable to be trusted on the farm by time they where several yrs old, would never let a youngster free access though. Some dogs I have are breed to be naturally protective n gentle with livestock n other animals though.

Thanks again for the replies.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Full access to the entire farm..... sounds like a recipe for lots of dead livestock, dead wildlife and snake-bitten dogs to me.

How wonderful that all your dogs in the past, present and future will get on with each other, not even think of harrassing other animals and not wander on to the road and cause a fatal accident - unless you are saying your entire farm is bordered by dog-proof fencing?

Different management systems for different situations...You are no more familiar with Eyeopeners system than they are with yours,so since it was asked if the perspective was way off base,an explanation would be fair?

I am lucky enough to live in a similar situation to Eyeopers,but I realise how lucky that is after my introduction to DOL.

Out of 5,some times 6 dogs only one is regularly in a kennel run,and I feel awful for her,and guilty though shes out every day and part of the evening.I'll take care in choosing the next to avoid that.

My dogs are trained to stay in the acre yard unless out with one of us by invitation,and in the house together if we are out,on their beds and toys /company for any pups.Live stock some times shares the yard,chooks always and lots of wild life.The only one who MAY break the rules is the one kenneled when we can't keep an eye on her.

We walk the rest with out leads on the rest of the property when we do,usualy when snakes are less active.The dogs have good recall.We don't have dead live stock,plenty of live wildlife here darting out underfoot with no kills yet.

I can understand the need to crate for most,But I think there can be over reliance on crating for some and it shouldn't always be the 1st option.

I know I am lucky,and would learn to crate if I had to live like most others.But good management and breeding comes into it too,so we have dogs that fit into the circumstances they are bred for,and that they go to those places.It shouldn't be a case of "putting them away when not in use",but breeding and choosing dogs who are not a nuisance.

There are good reasons to crate,for some they are excuses and it is open to abuse.

Full access to the entire farm..... sounds like a recipe for lots of dead livestock, dead wildlife and snake-bitten dogs to me.

How wonderful that all your dogs in the past, present and future will get on with each other, not even think of harrassing other animals and not wander on to the road and cause a fatal accident - unless you are saying your entire farm is bordered by dog-proof fencing?

Different management systems for different situations...You are no more familiar with Eyeopeners system than they are with yours,so since it was asked if the perspective was way off base,an explanation would be fair?

I am lucky enough to live in a similar situation to Eyeopers,but I realise how lucky that is after my introduction to DOL.

Out of 5,some times 6 dogs only one is regularly in a kennel run,and I feel awful for her,and guilty though shes out every day and part of the evening.I'll take care in choosing the next to avoid that.

My dogs are trained to stay in the acre yard unless out with one of us by invitation,and in the house together if we are out,on their beds and toys /company for any pups.Live stock some times shares the yard,chooks always and lots of wild life.The only one who MAY break the rules is the one kenneled when we can't keep an eye on her.

We walk the rest with out leads on the rest of the property when we do,usualy when snakes are less active.The dogs have good recall.We don't have dead live stock,plenty of live wildlife here darting out underfoot with no kills yet.

I can understand the need to crate for most,But I think there can be over reliance on crating for some and it shouldn't always be the 1st option.

I know I am lucky,and would learn to crate if I had to live like most others.But good management and breeding comes into it too,so we have dogs that fit into the circumstances they are bred for,and that they go to those places.It shouldn't be a case of "putting them away when not in use",but breeding and choosing dogs who are not a nuisance.

There are good reasons to crate,for some they are excuses and it is open to abuse.

I am in the same situation and also agree that some people reply on crates a little too much. I personally dont believe a dog should be crated all day (sure some dogs are old/infirm so this is different). But I dont agree with a healthy, active dog being crated all day and then again overnight. My dogs are out around the property during the day and sleep indoors overnight. Occasionally I will crate the Pug if I'm dashing out, but if Im out for more than an hour , two of the dogs go in the runs. I always make sure they are not confined for more than 4 hours in the one day, and this is probably only once a week. The rest of the dogs are out free ranging with the other animals 24/7.

I am in the same situation and also agree that some people reply on crates a little too much. I personally dont believe a dog should be crated all day (sure some dogs are old/infirm so this is different). But I dont agree with a healthy, active dog being crated all day and then again overnight. My dogs are out around the property during the day and sleep indoors overnight. Occasionally I will crate the Pug if I'm dashing out, but if Im out for more than an hour , two of the dogs go in the runs. I always make sure they are not confined for more than 4 hours in the one day, and this is probably only once a week. The rest of the dogs are out free ranging with the other animals 24/7.

Agreed - but I have breeds and dogs which just get on together. I often hear stories of breeders with other breeds and realise how easy I have it. Mine free range all the time and at most they may be confined in a backyard sized fenced area when on heat or if we are laying concrete. Ive never used crate training but I do put a large pen 8 feet square around the whelping box when almost due to whelp so they don't mess up the rest of the house when in labour - as soon as they have their puppies the baracade is taken away. We have sheep, chooks ,ducks,cats and magpies which share space with them and no need of crates.

I have my pot plants and lots of stuff in pens so the dogs cant wreck them and the dogs run free rather than the other way around.

Edited by Steve

Rogue spends his days while at work in his run, it is big enough for him to move around in and sleep.. He is safe in there and I can be at work and know that. I have snuck home at various times and he is asleep, when we get home at 3.30 we wake him up lol I don't get the feeling he is miserable at all..

I'd love to let my dog have free range in the backyard when no one is home. Unfortunately I can't given she is a serial escape artist and is storm phobic. So I have to put her in her roofed concrete floored kennel run so I know when I come home she is there (unless there has been a huge storm and she has managed to rip the door off the hinges and pull the chain link off the side gate to get out again :eek: ). I guess what I am saying is that if all you saw was my dog in her kennel run for a large portion of the day in her run without knowing the situation you could come to the conclusion that I don't have the time for my dog.

--Lhok

Agreed - but I have breeds and dogs which just get on together. I often hear stories of breeders with other breeds and realise how easy I have it. Mine free range all the time and at most they may be confined in a backyard sized fenced area when on heat or if we are laying concrete. Ive never used crate training but I do put a large pen 8 feet square around the whelping box when almost due to whelp so they don't mess up the rest of the house when in labour - as soon as they have their puppies the baracade is taken away. We have sheep, chooks ,ducks,cats and magpies which share space with them and no need of crates.

I have my pot plants and lots of stuff in pens so the dogs cant wreck them and the dogs run free rather than the other way around.

So funny same here we have plants n good wooden outdoor furniture locked up from the dogs

OP, I'd be interested to know where you get the impression of dogs being crated all day from. As far as I'm aware, it's an extremely uncommon practice to crate during the day in Australia, it's more of a US thing. Nevertheless, many people have to work outside the home, and they have to do something to keep their dogs safe. I work full-time, but I don't consider that it makes me a bad dog owner. My dog is crate trained and will happily spend all day at a show asleep in her crate when she isn't being groomed, walked, shown or fussed over, she runs full-tilt into it twice a day for her meals, and considers it her treasure cave where special toys or treats are taken to enjoy. I don't crate her while I'm at work, she is either in the house with close to free run now that she is well-mannered enough be trusted inside, or in the backyard. I don't know anyone who would crate all day in similar circumstances unless the dog is being confined for health reasons.

OP, I'd be interested to know where you get the impression of dogs being crated all day from. As far as I'm aware, it's an extremely uncommon practice to crate during the day in Australia, it's more of a US thing. Nevertheless, many people have to work outside the home, and they have to do something to keep their dogs safe. I work full-time, but I don't consider that it makes me a bad dog owner. My dog is crate trained and will happily spend all day at a show asleep in her crate when she isn't being groomed, walked, shown or fussed over, she runs full-tilt into it twice a day for her meals, and considers it her treasure cave where special toys or treats are taken to enjoy. I don't crate her while I'm at work, she is either in the house with close to free run now that she is well-mannered enough be trusted inside, or in the backyard. I don't know anyone who would crate all day in similar circumstances unless the dog is being confined for health reasons.

I have heard several people lately say they keep their dog crated all day whilst they are at work.

No working dose not make you a bad dog owner at all. As I have said no issues with a dog run just the crate for so long seems extreme. When questioned many say their breeder says its fine to crate them while they work n even again at night.

I'd love to let my dog have free range in the backyard when no one is home. Unfortunately I can't given she is a serial escape artist and is storm phobic. So I have to put her in her roofed concrete floored kennel run so I know when I come home she is there (unless there has been a huge storm and she has managed to rip the door off the hinges and pull the chain link off the side gate to get out again :eek: ). I guess what I am saying is that if all you saw was my dog in her kennel run for a large portion of the day in her run without knowing the situation you could come to the conclusion that I don't have the time for my dog.

--Lhok

My SV is the same, I am hoping to try her on Clomicalm (sp?) this storm season to see if it helps her with her storm phobia and general anxiety. She doesn't have a run yet (I am looking into getting one) so she has to be crated during the day when I'm at work especially if there is a chance of a storm otherwise she takes off and she has done a lot of damage to fences and herself getting out. I'm currently working only 4 days a week and she has the run of the yard when I'm at home at night (unless it storms in which case it's back in the crate for the duration of the storm as she will still try to escape even with me there) so yeah not ideal but you do the best you can to keep your dog safe and comfortable.

She seems to cope well enough with it she has a good run when she's let out and the rest of the time she mostly just chills out on the couch and takes herself outside when she feels like it.

Ok I use crates, dog runs etc but they are not the place any of my dogs(bar 1) spend much time & I am often seeing people saying their dogs are crated all day while they are at work etc. For me crates are for transporting, containing dogs for short periods of time if needed, sick or injuries animals & for beds(we leave door open though). Not a living arrangement & somewhere to leave any dog for more than a couple of hrs & believe those that need to contain dogs while they work etc should invest in a well constructed dog run.

I also see many dogs who are confined to a kennel n run all week & then take out of the weekend or maybe once midweek & I feel if this is all the time you have for a dog don't have 1, my dogs come n go in n out of the house n some have full access to the entire farm & I know they would be miserable spending all the down time n contained times some other dogs have to do in a day or wk.

Am I way off base here?

You "often" see people say their dogs are crated all day while they are at work? You must move in very different circles to me because I don't know of anyone who does this and quite frankly the overwhelming majority of dogs are kept in backyards by owners who don't own crates.

If you wondered why you copped some flack, then consider for a moment the tone of your opening post. Basically you've said "my dogs go where ever they like when ever they like and this is the correct way to keep a dog".

Well, my dogs don't go where ever they like. Like the vast majority of Australians I'm an urban dweller and my dogs are confined to a house and yard. They are further confined by a lead on most days when I walk them. I also work.

So the conclusion I must draw is that you think my dogs are miserable. And you wonder why folk weren't impressed.

Whippets that roam are Whippets that die... often under a car. I'll keep my dogs "miserable" thanks because it keeps them alive.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

You "often" see people say their dogs are crated all day while they are at work? You must move in very different circles to me because I don't know of anyone who does this

Numerous people on here have said that they do this.

You "often" see people say their dogs are crated all day while they are at work? You must move in very different circles to me because I don't know of anyone who does this

I should poll it - I've never noticed. :(

If I lived in a place where it was 40 below outside during winter or bears were an issue, I'd consider it.

I know working dog people that have their dogs kenneled all day until they get ran every after noon or used for work.

I have working dogs but they just walk around the yard all day as I keep them separate from the sheep property. I don't know anyone apart from working dog people or Greyhound people that have their dogs caged all day.

After the previous bun fights about it I doubt many would say that they do :laugh:

After the previous bun fights about it I doubt many would say that they do :laugh:

Yes, no one EVER judges anyone here.... NOT. biggrin.gif

I have working dogs but they just walk around the yard all day as I keep them separate from the sheep property. I don't know anyone apart from working dog people or Greyhound people that have their dogs caged all day.

My greyhounds aren't caged all day nor are the vast majority of greyhounds I know. However most racing greyhounds are. There are a lot of pet greyhounds around nowadays.

I've never seen numerous people say that on DOL.

okay answer this if crates are cruel for your dog to go in during the day bearing in mind I live on acerage

Latte my very active coolie. Gets up in the morning from her crate, goes outside zooms around the yard at a hundred miles an hour. Her dog brother and sister both of whom she adores and they adore her gets put in a roomy pen out the back having also slept in the house. To get Latte into the pen you have to carry her in there as she absolutely refuses to go in there otherwise and when she does she barks.

If you can't find her to put her in the pen, go upstairs,she follows you and open her crate door and she runs into it and settles down immediately. She stays there until about 4 pm when my housemate gets home. Runs around more for hours, comes inside, is generally pretty tired and will more often than not puts herself in her crate and settles down for the night. Otherwise when the others go to bed she goes immeidately into her crate, settles down and not a murmer

So my question is why does Latte prefer her crate rather than a roomy pen during the day?