Found Out Today Which Puppy Is Ours!

katevin

As the subject says, we found out today which puppy (Boston Terrier, litter of 4 pups) is ours. Very exciting! We've been in touch with the breeder for months now, and have seen several pictures of our pup. From the very beginning, based on looks, we had hoped that he was the puppy that would end up being ours.

Tonight the breeder mentioned that he is the liveliest of the litter, I think she even used the term "character of the litter" who likes to "stir the other puppies up". Another couple visited the breeder this afternoon to select their puppy (we had last choice)- apparently they first selected our puppy but then changed their minds as the other remaining puppy was quieter/calmer. Is this something we should be worried about? All of the puppy websites and books say not to choose the lively, dominant puppy in the litter...?

The breeder said he's a beautiful, lovely little boy but I'm just wondering whether his liveliness/character will mean that we will have a little monster on our hands in a few weeks time?! We're excited and can't wait to adopt the little guy no matter what, we just want to be as prepared as we can be for what might be a "spirited" little puppy.

TIA for your responses/advice :)

As the subject says, we found out today which puppy (Boston Terrier, litter of 4 pups) is ours. Very exciting! We've been in touch with the breeder for months now, and have seen several pictures of our pup. From the very beginning, based on looks, we had hoped that he was the puppy that would end up being ours.

Tonight the breeder mentioned that he is the liveliest of the litter, I think she even used the term "character of the litter" who likes to "stir the other puppies up". Another couple visited the breeder this afternoon to select their puppy (we had last choice)- apparently they first selected our puppy but then changed their minds as the other remaining puppy was quieter/calmer. Is this something we should be worried about? All of the puppy websites and books say not to choose the lively, dominant puppy in the litter...?

The breeder said he's a beautiful, lovely little boy but I'm just wondering whether his liveliness/character will mean that we will have a little monster on our hands in a few weeks time?! We're excited and can't wait to adopt the little guy no matter what, we just want to be as prepared as we can be for what might be a "spirited" little puppy.

TIA for your responses/advice :)

I think this is a question that only Boston breeders can meaningfully answer,

but most of all - the Boston breeder who is the breeder of your puppy.

You should copy and paste your OP and email it to him/her :)

Edited by lilli

Yes to what lilli said, and I don't know Bostons at all, but...

As long as you're prepared that you probably aren't going to have a quiet little lap dog and you won't get too stresses about having to keep a close eye on him, I think you'll be fine!

Make sure you search through the forum to find the threads on NILIF (nothing in life is free) and TOT (triangle of temptation, for feeding) and apply these concepts from day 1.

Keep his brain occupied by doing little training sessions with him, check out the Training sub-forum, and maybe sign up for Obedience training with a club to keep him busy and, learn how his little brain works and enforce the bond between him and you as pack leader.

Be consistent and don't let him get away things as a cute puppy that you don't want him doing as an adult.

Don't stress too much, it will be fun!! So exciting :)

I got the puppy who was supposed to be the really chilled out, laid back dude. I was a little worried that he wouldn't have enough spark for me, but he was also the pup I'd wanted based on looks right from the start. He's so far from laid back, particularly for his breed, full of mischief and trouble and tons of bounce. I was right about his looks though, he's exactly what I'd hoped for. I think all puppies can be quite a handful to start with. I don't miss all the toilet breaks and razor sharp puppy teeth, but when I look at the puppy photos I really miss having such a cute bundle of puppy fluff! They certainly have their own temperaments right from the start, and in the case of my pup, I think some characteristics weren't so obvious while he was in with his litter mates. They develop and learn a lot once they're at home. As long as you're happy to have a lively pup, aim to work with his strengths. I'm sure that with the right amount of mental stimulation, your pup will be lots of fun. :)

If it's any consolation I got the 'devil' of the litter :laugh: Yes he was a little monster as a pup, but with training and setting boundaries from day dot, I didn't have too much trouble with him. He matured into a placid, well behaved boy - now nearing on 7 he's a lovely older boof, who still has his moments of 'devilment' and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

From what I have seen of Bostons they don't seem to come in placid. :laugh: They always want to take on every dog that walks past their trolleys and crates at shows, no matter how big the passing dog. They all seem to be feisty, hyper and noisy in my experience. Keep in close contact with the breeder about how to raise him and do not let him get away with anything as a baby that you don't wan't him to do as an adult.

I often wonder about this issue.

Years back when I was enquiring about pups, I was trying to find a calmer pup to fit my circumstances.

Several breeders were helpful, said they would keep that in mind when the pups were born, but one breeder was adamant that you can't rely on temperament in young puppies. I was a bit suspicious when she then offered her last remaining puppy from a litter. :o I didn't take it.

I guess breeders do need to sell the whole litter, they can't just hang on to the naughty pups! So I do wonder how much a breeder might discourage a buyer from the "live wire"?

To the OP, if you don't want a lively, cheeky pup, do not take it. Wait til the right temperament for you comes along.

I know Boston litters are few and far between, but you will have to live with the dog for 15 years or so.

Not everyone wants layer back & often a naughty n outgoing puppy will be a brave n smart adult dog in the right hands. You have to match pup to new home & I find you should be very careful allowing puppy buyers to pick on photos etc. I often find I have to steer them to a more suitable pup for their lifestyle, exsperiance & what they r looking for in a dog. I believe much can be gauged from litter play n interactions with people n other animals about the individual pups likely temperament.

I don't think there is any such thing as a Boston pup that isn't lively and cheeky :laugh:

I tend to agree. In some breeds the "demon of the litter" (and there always seems to be one) is the last dog you'd want. In others (like Whippets) it IS the one you want. My Howie squashed all the other pups at Kindy and was a right brat. I was so proud! :rofl:

Provided you are prepared to channel that energy and spunk in positive directions through boundaries and training, I expect you'll have a wonderful pet.

However, if you are at all concerned, a chat with the breeder is the way to go.

Our Boston was very quiet and chilled when she was a puppy, three days after she came home and her real personality came out! :angeldevil:

I agree, most Boston's aren't your chilled out lap dogs anyway. Best of luck with your puppy. Please post photos when you get him/her.

I got the ratbag of the litter too - a mini schnauzer. He basically walked all over his littermates despite being significantly smaller than one of his brothers :) He's 18 months old now. Has he been more hard work than any other puppy? Hard to say as he's the first mini I've had. We've worked hard with him and set boundaries and he has won over everyone he meets with his outgoing, friendly personality. I plan to compete in agility with him once we've worked our way through the basics and he just LOVES working and having to think, so for what I want, he's perfect and I'd happily search out another pup with that sort of temperament. May not have been everyone's cup of tea to live with 24/7 when he was a baby though he has started to mellow a bit now :)