Night Barking At Neighbours

Chris the Rebel Wolf

Maya has begun to get a bit more vocal in the past few months. On one hand, she is doing what comes naturally as a LGD, but on the other, I would like my neighbors to be able to walk from their car to their stairs without Maya alerting us to the fact :) I do not want to stop her from barking, she is a great guard dog, but nor would I like my neighbors to complain as there are some new ones I don't know well just moved in beside us. My goal is to work on letting Maya know the situation is in hand and does not require barking at.

When Maya barks, I recall her and praise her for coming. This is enough to stop the barking 95% of the time. If she continues to bark while at my feet I tell her enough and praise for quiet. James however has less patience than me and sometimes will yell out the window when Maya is barking... do not see this as being helpful.

Does anybody have tips for training to manage barking a little better or another approach I could try?

• 2 weeks later...

Does your dog have free run of the yard at night, or do you restrict her movements such as crating or locking inside at night.

My trainer has always been a firm believer of restraining the dogs from running the yard at night. Firstly this helps them to stop chasing and barking at any various thing that "goes bump in the night" and also restricts any potential for accidents such as eating Cane-toads etc or chasing and coming off second best to possums.

I have always been a firm believer in crate training and right from when my pup comes home, they are crate trained and are crated at night. I would start of possibly crating her inside somewhere if she is not already crate trained and then move her to an undercover area not near your neighbour's where they can get the stimilus of them coming and going.

Another thing with the guard dog/watch dog thing. A trick I was taught ages ago, always good to put the dog inside at night. Unless any potential intruders can see into your place, all they hear is barking. They do not know how large or small (well maybe with the exception of really small dogs) the dog is on the other side of the door. They may think twice about entering your house if they do not know what is waiting on the other side.

LGD's seem to respond better to praise, sounds silly but they're just doing their job. If we tell Mo to be quiet he ignores us but if we say good boy he stops :laugh:

ETA: Mo is always in at night. He would keep the whole suburb awake with his banshee howls if he were outside!

Edited by Aussie3

LGD's seem to respond better to praise, sounds silly but they're just doing their job. If we tell Mo to be quiet he ignores us but if we say good boy he stops :laugh:

Espinay taught me this trick. It confuses the heck out of my dogs so they stop :laugh:

I dont have any helpful hints about Maya but I think whatever you choose to do to prevent it, you'll have your work cut out for you. All my dogs go nuts at my neighbour who drives up and down his driveway numerous times a day. They have met the neighbour and accept him when he visits, but when he drives past our property they all tell him off. I am lucky as the only person who hears it is me, but I dont think I'd have a hope in hell in getting them to stop anyway.

Does she sleep inside at night?

Could you introduce your neighbours to your dog?

Fonz's bark is much more half hearted at the girl next door walking down her driveway, as he knows her well, but her older brother he really goes off at as he never visits here.

Yep ammo loves the praise, he seems to revel in it and stops as well.

ETA. We lock ammo is the garage at night as our neighbours would never sleep. He only ever barks in the garage if we have a visitor. Is Maya inside or out at night?

Edited by mixeduppup

I don't believe in giving dogs free access in a yard at night due to potential for barking/killing possums etc.

My dogs are well behaved and so are free at night but sleep in the house. They are old and so do have to go out during the night occasionally.

Any new foster dog, unless they are sick, is crated. I take them out for a toilet last thing and crate them. If they bark/whine during the night then I take them out for another toilet opportunity but usually after a few days they are in the routine and don't need to go.

Nothing more annoying than constantly being woken up by people's outside dogs - I know, my neighbour has a massive 60kilo barker and it's loud!

Maya has full access to the yard at night. I do have a indoor area on the back patio I can leave the dogs, and do some nights (loud party over the road etc) but I do like the peace of mind from having them outside most nights. Will see how praise for barking goes - I do not want to discourage her from barking, just manage if she barks at a non-threat so this may work well.

Thanks for the advice and tips all :)

And cheers Kajtek :D

Barking and LGD comes hand in hand and I know first hand the problems it can cause with neighbours, Jake's barking was a big issue for years and caused big trouble - threats etc etc

For her safety and neighbourhood relations you may need to put her in that back area and have low level noise present (soft radio) as LGD's are always on guard. She is starting to reach maturity and the challenges are only going to get harder so making decisions now and following through are important.

A LGD getting mixed messages from you and your partner will not help either, you both have to set clear rules and boundaries and both stick to them, inconsistency breeds anxiety and exaggerates issues :)

Barking and LGD comes hand in hand and I know first hand the problems it can cause with neighbours, Jake's barking was a big issue for years and caused big trouble - threats etc etc

For her safety and neighbourhood relations you may need to put her in that back area and have low level noise present (soft radio) as LGD's are always on guard. She is starting to reach maturity and the challenges are only going to get harder so making decisions now and following through are important.

A LGD getting mixed messages from you and your partner will not help either, you both have to set clear rules and boundaries and both stick to them, inconsistency breeds anxiety and exaggerates issues :)

Thankyou :) Some very wise words there for me to take into account :flower:

ive had to learn to control my body language and my tone of voice .In my opinion you dont want to praise her because that's rewarding her for doing what she is doing unless you do it when she stops and not before. With my beagles I can "Shuddup ' and they get it but shouting at a Maremma makes them feel you are upset even if your body language is conveying stress they will see this as a que to bark and protect you .

In a paddock with sheep for example they take their moves when they pick up even the smallest difference in body language. Stamp of a foot , flick of and ear sudden movement etc. the only way to stop it when you arent there is bring her inside because she will bark to guard you and your property - its how they work.

ive had to learn to control my body language and my tone of voice .In my opinion you dont want to praise her because that's rewarding her for doing what she is doing unless you do it when she stops and not before. With my beagles I can "Shuddup ' and they get it but shouting at a Maremma makes them feel you are upset even if your body language is conveying stress they will see this as a que to bark and protect you .

In a paddock with sheep for example they take their moves when they pick up even the smallest difference in body language. Stamp of a foot , flick of and ear sudden movement etc. the only way to stop it when you arent there is bring her inside because she will bark to guard you and your property - its how they work.

Agree.

Sometimes saying "good dog" for barking to get them to stop could be (depending on the situation) be rewarding the dog for the bad behaviour. I would be saying "good dog" for when the dog has periods of quiet. But each dog is different and you will need to find out what works best for you and your situation.

I allow my dogs to bark when someone comes up the driveway, whether they be family or friend. But I also only allow them to bark a "few" times to let them and us know there is someone there and then I will praise them for barking and tell them to then be quiet. They do not need to carry on and on.

Nothing worse than being kept awake by barking dogs all night. I love my sleep as well, so my dogs are expected to be quiet at night unless there is a real "threat".

Sometimes saying "good dog" for barking to get them to stop could be (depending on the situation) be rewarding the dog for the bad behaviour.

I don't see it as 'bad behaviour though', not with LGD's anyway. It's simply what they do.

When I say good boy to mine barking, the way I see it, is that Ive acknowledged that they're on to something and I take over from here. It hasn't heightened their barking, it really does work. I've been using this method now after advice from other LGD people and it has really helped over the past year or so. Before, it was excessive and now a quick Good boy stops them and they usually just stand and watch the 'threat' from their initial position or come close to me and watch still.

For the SBT and Pug though, I yell out the window STFU and that works pretty darn quick for them :laugh: The SBT is good and comes back straight away but the Pug was raised with MAremmas and fancies himself as a LGD.

Edited by Clyde

Nothing worse than being kept awake by barking dogs all night. I love my sleep as well, so my dogs are expected to be quiet at night unless there is a real "threat".

Visitors rarely sleep when they stay here because of the dogs barking. My daughter and I sleep like the proverbial babies. :laugh:

Sometimes saying "good dog" for barking to get them to stop could be (depending on the situation) be rewarding the dog for the bad behaviour.

I don't see it as 'bad behaviour though', not with LGD's anyway. It's simply what they do.

When I say good boy to mine barking, the way I see it, is that Ive acknowledged that they're on to something and I take over from here. It hasn't heightened their barking, it really does work. I've been using this method now after advice from other LGD people and it has really helped over the past year or so. Before, it was excessive and now a quick Good boy stops them and they usually just stand and watch the 'threat' from their initial position or come close to me and watch still.

For the SBT and Pug though, I yell out the window STFU and that works pretty darn quick for them :laugh: The SBT is good and comes back straight away but the Pug was raised with MAremmas and fancies himself as a LGD.

Agree but I dont see saying good boy in a soft tone as a reward - maybe it is but I dont see it that way. I see that as letting them know you are O.K. same thing as I do.

Its a hard one because as you say, you want them to alert bark. I have always told mine off for barking and now I have five large dogs and not one will bark! LOL! Its the tiny foster who raises the alarm, while the others just ignore the stranger walking down our driveway... :)

Visitors rarely sleep when they stay here because of the dogs barking. My daughter and I sleep like the proverbial babies. :laugh:

When I lived in suburbia.. the neighbours dogs would never shut up. Day or night. Even now I am back in rural, the damn people across the road let their dogs bark continually all night. There might be a 5 acre paddock separating us, but the bedroom faces that way. They must sleep like the dead to not be kept awake