Something Very, Very Weird

yellowgirl

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it sounded human... The dogs also sounded very upset I.e not just alert barking but there was a lot of crying and howling......very weird...

It was a man Aussie3, Im certain now. Yes, I think the dogs became more upset because obviously the first few barks didn't make him go away.

I listened again and it freaks me out how they all stop as soon as the noise finishes. Have you got a manhole? I'd be nailing it shut.

Hadn't thought of that one MUP. I always had a lock on the one at my other house but never did it here.

:eek: I have been watching this topic all day and I stupidly just now played the recording........Not a good idea when you are home alone.

I would move house........that would totally freak me out.

Now I just hope I can sleep tonight.

I'm not moving Kadbury, I'm waiting with my baseball bat for that arseh0le to poke his head through my doggy door again.

Do you have a dog door? People came into my house via my small dog door- olive said it was common.

ETA: I haven't actually listened to it. I'd assume that what danios said was correct.

Yes Megan there's a doggy door, we now think that he'd at least got his head through the door and growled. I recorded myself doing it and it sounded like it was right next to the dictaphone. I hope to god that that's as far as he got.

Ive had another listen, serveral actually, I can definatley hear what sounds like a females voice at the start but it sounds like a helium voice like really high pitched.

If it was someone growling, its weird because it finishes so abruptly and then quiet.

I have two video capture devices set up and while I am away from home they go on, my guys just sleep, somedays I don't even check in but if I am working longer I check in to see if they are restless and if so (never happened yet) I would come home and let them out for a toilet stop. I only work about 3 mins drive from home and only work 5 hour shifts.

I've had many a people say what would you do if you were watching them (I can watch in real time through an app on my phone) and someone walked past the camera!? I have also discovered my lot howl at the telephone if it rings while I'm not there, they don't do this at all if I am at home. I wonder if they think if they howl loud enough I will come home to answer the phone! :laugh:

I just read Aussies last post about the crying and howling, would they normally howl at a person? Mine would never howl at a person only at a noise like the telephone? But it still comes back to what is making the noise?

I'd love to be able to set up something like you've got tlc. Although I'm almost always here and usually only gone for a relatively short time if I'm going shopping or taking one of the dogs to the vet. No they don't howl like that normally. I do recognise who was howling though, it was Teddy who sometimes howls a little bit when I'm getting into the car to go out. He's blind and I hate to think of him so upset :(

Okay, just listened. Change your locks. It sounded like someone broke in and made that sound to scare the dogs quiet. Do you leave keys around? The people who broke into my house took the backdoor keys and tried to come back for the laptop (which was in my bedroom when they first came in, which is where the dogs would have run to so they left it and tried to come back). They didn't get in but came 2 days later. I had left thelaptop in the dining room this time in case they came back - k just wanted them to take it and leave the dogs alone.

Geeze, that sucks Megan. The only keys I have are the ones I have with me when I leave.

time to set up cameras as well.

Unfortunately it's not even anywhere near being in a budget Kirislin. I'm in rescue remember? ;)

I just listened again, there were people in your house. That's human. I let a few friends listen and they said it was/sounded human.

I agree MUP.

Do you have a dog door? People came into my house via my small dog door- olive said it was common.

ETA: I haven't actually listened to it. I'd assume that what danios said was correct.

Yep I was really surprised to discover a huge (relatively) Airedale terrier manages to wiggle through my Westie size doggie door. It wouldn't surprise me to find a small human can get through as well. Is making me re-think things here too. :(

A few years ago I managed to get myself through a small doggy door to help a neighbour who'd locked her keys inside. Took a while, shoulders and hips were the tricky parts, but I did it. It was about the same size as the one I have here.

It sounds human to me. Someone on drugs, maybe?

After that big bark, right before the noise, what could be the TV voices sound a bit louder but get drowned out by the freaky noise.

In that space there's a woman's voice that says 'is there anything scary in there?' just before the first dog (which was Madeline) barks.

It was a man growling and then he whispers something afterward that I can't make out.

yellowgirl.. stop reading now !

turn off the puter ... and ask a friend to stay overnight ..watch silly movies ..and think about it again in daylight. :)

You're so sweet Pers :)

Yep I was really surprised to discover a huge (relatively) Airedale terrier manages to wiggle through my Westie size doggie door. It wouldn't surprise me to find a small human can get through as well. Is making me re-think things here too. :(

I was told that if someone skilled, not overweight, and flexible can get their head through an opening, they can probably get the rest of them through too. I was told this after discovering that the bars on our windows at work were basically useless.

Done it myself Aiden, so yes it's do-able.

Do you have any friends who know you run it, and would try and scare you?

No one who knows me would dare upset my dogs like that Sayly.

The growling sound at the last bit almost seems to stop abruptly, then silence, wouldn't at least one of the dogs still made a bit of a carry on if it was a person?? Just trying to think of it if it was my lot. A they wouldn't howl they would bark and no way would they go quiet at a noise like that, it would set them off more.

Edited to add after listening to the first bit again, the voice could be coming from the tv?

Most of the dogs here are rescues who've had crappy experiences with humans tlc, so they'd rather run and hide if faced with a loud, growling man.

There's definitely a woman's voice but I can't say 100% if its the tv. I can hear her words but I can't hear any other words from the tv.

Jo I think the only logical explanation is it was two human intruders.

Time to change the locks, install a camera, alert the police, look at the home security fact sheet on the SAPOL website, see if there is a neighbourhood watch in your area. Ask neighbours and friends to keep an eye out. And if you have anyone you trust to check on your dogs when you aren't there randomly, then I'd do that too if you can.

Hope that helps as I'll be doing the same thing here. Thanks for the thread.

Edited by westiemum

Swan security have some cheap cameras. I wouldn't bother with the locks if you've got the only set of keys. Padlock any gates and lock the dog door when you're out and at night. Tell your neighbours what happened so they can keep an eye out. Might sound crazy but leave something easy to steal out so they can grab and leave, rather than stay and search, which increases the chances of hour dogs getting hurt.

Sounds like a person - set up a camera to monitor and if you can lock the dog door and put a lock on the manhole cover. Are the dogs in the background other neighbouring dogs? They all seem to be going on much more than usual for barking dogs (even dogs that are barking a fair bit stop every now and again they dont go in a constant stream like that unless thre is a reason).

I noticed in an earlier post you said you only had a thing to plug into your pc for Internet, so I'm assuming you don't have a wifi connection in your house? My cameras work off wifi, not sure how else you would get cameras to work if you wanted to view them away from the home. Unless you set up a camera that just records the same way as the dictaphone?

I haven't listened to it (and won't be listening to it tonight that's for sure!), but if it is people then I actually think you are very lucky to have heard it because now you can take precautions by changing locks etc. Who knows what could have happened if you hadn't!!

Can you lock your dog door all? Mine has a plastic insert and I lock it at night

I don't lock it closed megan, I have several special needs dogs here including blind ones who need things to stay the same as far as access goes. It takes ages to teach a blind dog to use a doggy door and if it's blocked they'd be very reluctant to try it again.

Jo I think the only logical explanation is it was two human intruders.

Time to change the locks, install a camera, alert the police, look at the home security fact sheet on the SAPOL website, see if there is a neighbourhood watch in your area. Ask neighbours and friends to keep an eye out. And if you have anyone you trust to check on your dogs when you aren't there randomly, then I'd do that too if you can.

Hope that helps as I'll be doing the same thing here. Thanks for the thread.

Cheers westiemum. The main thing I'll be doing is closing and locking the driveway gates. I will make a report to the police just so it's on file. I have a vet appointment tomorrow for two of the dogs and my awesome friend Kerri is coming to dog-sit the crew while we're gone :)

Change your locks tomorrow morning. Mum listened and she heard someone says "be quiet" after he growls. Have you got a friend who can stay the night?

Someone else heard 'be quiet' too but I can't hear that. Is it part of the bit where he's whispering after he growls?

I work better alone MUP, if someone was here with me I'd feel like I needed to protect them :laugh: . At least I know that the dogs will go crazy if there's anyone around (unfortunately I now also know that they will run away and hide as well) and I have my baseball bat and my phone here.

Swan security have some cheap cameras. I wouldn't bother with the locks if you've got the only set of keys. Padlock any gates and lock the dog door when you're out and at night. Tell your neighbours what happened so they can keep an eye out. Might sound crazy but leave something easy to steal out so they can grab and leave, rather than stay and search, which increases the chances of hour dogs getting hurt.

Cheers megan. The bottom line for me is that he didn't hurt or take any of the dogs.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Welcome to Crazy Land MaverickMission

Oh yeah, that's freaky!! My first thought was Paranormal Activity (as in the movies), sorry YG!

I can't hear the details of voices on my phone (well i don't think so, I've listened twice and not sure I want to again...). I live alone and my dog door is large, a not-too-big hooman could fit through. I think I'd almost rather a ghost.

Best of luck sorting it out, and on the positive side, assuming it was people, they didn't hurt the dogs and waited til you were out, so don't seem to want to hurt you.