Something Very, Very Weird

yellowgirl

Jo you mention a doggie door - is it possible the dogs bark at something coming In through the doggy door then it growls and departs ? It does sound a bit like a koala to me.

A possum once poked it's head through our doggie door and growled at everybody, but that sounds supernatural.

It sounds horrible I know Labradork. Actually it sounds even worse now that Ive had some more input and need to go and listen to it again. Hang on everyone ...

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

could one of the dogs have had a seizure or mild stroke or such that made all the others go a bit weird. The 'strange' noise seems very familiar to me. I would describe it as if one of the dogs was very close to the recorder while doing a long deep lips peeled back teeth clenched sort of 'back the heck away' kind of growling at another dog.

The 'strange' noise seems very familiar to me. I would describe it as if one of the dogs was very close to the recorder while doing a long deep lips peeled back teeth clenched sort of 'back the heck away' kind of growling at another dog.

It is a bit like that ...

I had some input from a friend..they said it sounded like what their husky used to do ....

jeepers!!

DO NOT use headphones eek1.gif

could one of the dogs have had a seizure or mild stroke or such that made all the others go a bit weird. The 'strange' noise seems very familiar to me. I would describe it as if one of the dogs was very close to the recorder while doing a long deep lips peeled back teeth clenched sort of 'back the heck away' kind of growling at another dog.

The 'strange' noise seems very familiar to me. I would describe it as if one of the dogs was very close to the recorder while doing a long deep lips peeled back teeth clenched sort of 'back the heck away' kind of growling at another dog.

It is a bit like that ...

I had some input from a friend..they said it sounded like what their husky used to do ....

familiar or not .. the hairs on the back of my neck still stand up :o

We're pretty sure it's a MAN!!! My friend's hubby (ex detective and works on surveillance) has had a really good listen to it. He's positive it's a human voice. I've just had another listen up quite loud. Just before Maddie does the first bark I can hear a voice, it sounds like a woman and part of what I think she says is 'is there anything scary in there?' Then Maddie goes off. I'm not sure if it's on the video but it's on the dictaphone. I can retape it if you can't hear it on the video. What I don't understand (actually one of the many things I currently don't understand at this point) is why it sounds like the loud bark and the growl sound are right next to the dictaphone!! I couldn't hear any noise like someone trying to get through the doggy door (it's pretty small) but it does sound SO close. For the next 10 minutes there's only the sound of the occasional dog nails clicking on the floor. Nothing else. Then the tape runs out. Are we allowed to swear on here???

Brushtail possums can make similar sounds too. :)

I used to have possums at my previous place, noisy buggers they were too GeorgieB. Hadn't heard this kind of a noise from them though.

This isn't quite the same noise but its as close as I can find :p

Maybe when feeling threatened they might sound more like the one on your tape, who knows :laugh:

I just listened to it again full blast on my computer as I was only listening to it on my phone earlier. The sound that starts about 5 seconds in is just the dog's claws on the floor as I've heard that enough times in person at yellowgirl's to know it a mile away. The dogs carrying on like that is pretty standard when someone knocks on the door but I've never heard any of them howl when they do this. The sound at the end appears to be distorted which, as far as I know, would only happen if the noise was on top of the recorder? You'd think if it was a person outside the window the dog would get worse and not all shut up as soon as they hear the noise and it couldn't have been a person inside the house or the sound of them leaving would have been recorded too. An animal like a koala or possum (or tasmanian devil lol) making its way in to the house and making the sound would seem like the most logical answer but I think the likelihood of a koala being in yellowgirl's neighbourhood is about as likely as a tasmanian devil and surely the dogs would have continued to go nuts at a possum or anything else that got in there?

I think if someone scared the absolute sh!t out of them then they would shut up Snook. That noise would scare them for sure. I think if it was an animal they'd maybe be a bit quiet after being growled at but would certainly go and see it off as it was running away. If it was a person who frightened them, they'd run and hide. Several of them are already scared of people. Did you hear the woman's voice at all?

Or it could be a problem with the tape in the dictaphone which is distorting noise. When I used to use them for work you could get some weird noises going as the tapes got more stretched.

Nothing else was distorted or stretched on the tape Danois.

Or it could be a problem with the tape in the dictaphone which is distorting noise. When I used to use them for work you could get some weird noises going as the tapes got more stretched.

I think this could definitely be a possibility.

I wish.

Yowza!!

:eek:

My dogs didn't wake up though!

I'm getting a bit skittish now Tibbie Tabbie

I don't understand why anyone would bother taping them in the first place???

It's a 'me' thing Anne. I just like to make sure that the dogs aren't barking or annoying the neighbours if I'm not there. I've done it for years and every now and then it alerts me to a new dog that might be barking while I'm out and I'd had no idea. I have to be very careful with the council, one complaint and I could lose my rescue dogs.

Brushtail possums can make similar sounds too. :)

I used to have possums at my previous place, noisy buggers they were too GeorgieB. Hadn't heard this kind of a noise from them though.

This isn't quite the same noise but its as close as I can find :p

Maybe when feeling threatened they might sound more like the one on your tape, who knows :laugh:

Oh, I remember that possum noise from my last place GeorgieB. Now that did scare the crap out of me the first time I heard it too! It's not a possum though, we're pretty sure its a man growling.

I could hear a womans voice when the dogs where barking.It sounded like they said be quiet.The sound gets louder like someone leaning in closer to the recorder as they made the sound.I watched a documentary once where they were listening to tapes of what was claimed to be a strange animal. The experts claimed the voice was human as they said animals don't make the AAHH sound only humans.Could be people got into your house.Has anything gone missing.?A camera may be a good option or change your locks.