Can Vaccinating A Pup To Young Be Dangerous?

biglib

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless pups have no maternal antibodies I cant think of a reason for doing a pup at 3weeks of age? And I wouldnt expect that to be a regular occurrence.

I personally would be walking away from the whole situation. Why pay for an additional vaccination and possible medical costs from buying from a breeder who clearly doesnt know what they are doing when you can buy from an ethical breeder who vaccinates at 6 weeks and sells them at 8 weeks?

Of course she wants pup to live, all we want to know are the dangers if any of having a 3 week old puppy vaccinated, pup has papers, breeder said her vet normally vaccinates at 4 weeks but is going to ask for them to be done at 3 weeks...i have no idea why.

Perhaps the breeder has parvo at the property, and the vet, who is not up to speed with the vaccine regime, wants to vac early in the hope of avoiding the pup catching parvo.

I know someone who bought a bc pup, rented a house, and when they arrived the neighbour told them pups had recently died of parvo at the house. Her vet vac every 2 weeks.

I think some vets should read up on vacs!!

And why would she want to buy a dog from a breeder who doesn't know her stuff? She obviously doesn't - to vaccinate so young, when the vac and maternal immunity will clash. She should at least ask the breeder why the pup is being vac so early, and see what she says.

Of course she wants pup to live, all we want to know are the dangers if any of having a 3 week old puppy vaccinated, pup has papers, breeder said her vet normally vaccinates at 4 weeks but is going to ask for them to be done at 3 weeks...i have no idea why.

The dangers of having a three week old pup vaccinated are that it will die OR the vaccination will be completely ineffective.

If your friend takes that pup and it isn't vaccinated the effect will be the same - the pup will have no protection from a number of potentially lethal diseases.

I sincerely doubt that this pup has pedigree papers and if it does then the seller is in breach of the ANKC code of ethics and I'm pretty sure at least one or two NSW laws.

Does that sound like a responsible breeder to you?

Tell your friend to see the pedigree papers for both parents AND evidence of the breeders registration with Dogs NSW. I doubt both dogs will be on Main Register and that a current prefix is held.

I think there is every chance your friend is being told a bunch of porkies.

put to one side the ethics of the breeder for now, what is the difference between my friend geeting the pup vaccinated at 6 weeks or a breeder vaccinating at 6 weeks as long as the pup is kept isolated until it has immunity?

The dangers of having a three week old pup vaccinated are that it will die OR the vaccination will be completely ineffective.

If your friend takes that pup and it isn't vaccinated the effect will be the same - the pup will have no protection from a number of potentially lethal diseases.

I sincerely doubt that this pup has pedigree papers and if it does then the seller is in breach of the ANKC code of ethics and I'm pretty sure at least one or two NSW laws.

Does that sound like a responsible breeder to you?

Tell your friend to see the pedigree papers for both parents AND evidence of the breeders registration with Dogs NSW. I doubt both dogs will be on Main Register and that a current prefix is held.

I think there is every chance your friend is being told a bunch of porkies.

put to one side the ethics of the breeder for now, what is the difference between my friend geeting the pup vaccinated at 6 weeks or a breeder vaccinating at 6 weeks as long as the pup is kept isolated until it has immunity?

Well, for a start, this pup should be with it's littermates until it's 8 weeks old but that aside, can your friend provide a safe place that's had no dogs near it for months and ensure that everyone that comes into contact with the pup is sterile and has had no contact with other dogs without washing and a complete change of clothes?

I'll assume there's been no discussion of what health tests the parents have had??

Perhaps the breeder has parvo at the property, and the vet, who is not up to speed with the vaccine regime, wants to vac early in the hope of avoiding the pup catching parvo.

I know someone who bought a bc pup, rented a house, and when they arrived the neighbour told them pups had recently died of parvo at the house. Her vet vac every 2 weeks.

I think some vets should read up on vacs!!

And why would she want to buy a dog from a breeder who doesn't know her stuff? She obviously doesn't - to vaccinate so young, when the vac and maternal immunity will clash. She should at least ask the breeder why the pup is being vac so early, and see what she says.

I think most vets understand vaccination quite well, we do spend the majority of our time dealing with vaccinations.

Pups in danger of parvo do get vaccinated quite regularly, we vacc them weekly but it is a different vaccine, not the one we usually use for pups.

No vet following vaccination protocol will vacc with a normal puppy vaccine at 3 weeks.

Possibly, but that should be something that would need to be discussed with the breeder. A puppy given a single shot of parvac (what we use for temporary immunity against parvo) only will have immunity for a week, and if the risk is with the breeder, it has already been exposed to the virus.

I feel it would be unethical for the breeder not to advise the new owners of the potential risk of parvo in the puppies.

I may not be explaining myself well, it is late and I am tired. Although I am more than happy to discuss vaccination protocols or try and answer questions at any time. I spend a good part of every day talking/thinking about it. :)

Not a legitimate one.

seems a bit odd..esp if pups are papered ..AND going at 6 weeks ?

Clear breach of ANKC code of ethics.

And against State Law in NSW to sell or give away any puppy under 8 weeks. The breeder should be reported to Dogs NSW and the local council. The ANKC code of ethics requires puppies to be vaccinated at 6 weeks and not released for 2 weeks after. It also requires them to be microchipped and wormed as does State law. Definitely find another breeder as this one is completely unethical.

I don't know any vet that will give a 3 week old pup a C3 vaccination - and even if the vacc given is only a Parvac, the pup is still at risk from Hepatitis and Distemper at the very least.

I have seen dogs with both Parvo and Distemper over the years - and can attest to the fact that any pet owner would NOT want to see their pup suffer from either.

Honestly, I would be advising your friend in the strongest terms possible that they do not want to adopt any dog from this particular breeder.

T.

Not a legitimate one.

And against State Law in NSW to sell or give away any puppy under 8 weeks. The breeder should be reported to Dogs NSW and the local council. The ANKC code of ethics requires puppies to be vaccinated at 6 weeks and not released for 2 weeks after. It also requires them to be microchipped and wormed as does State law. Definitely find another breeder as this one is completely unethical.

The receptionist at my vet told me when i rang that its legal in nsw to sell puppies at 6 weeks... am waiting for my vet to call me back re original question.. thnx to those who assisted

Not according to the NSW Animal Welfare Codes of Practice for Breeding Cats and Dogs:

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/299803/Breeding-dogs-and-cats-code-of-practice.pdf

Refer to page 24 - Section 9 - Transfer of ownership.

9.1.1.1 Puppies and kittens must not be re-homed before they are 8 weeks of age.

9.1.1.3 No dog or puppy, cat or kitten may be sold unless vaccinated in compliance with the requirements of Section 8.2 of this Code.

Among other things

Edited by Allerzeit

The receptionist at my vet told me when i rang that its legal in nsw to sell puppies at 6 weeks... am waiting for my vet to call me back re original question.. thnx to those who assisted

You'd be better off calling the people who administer such laws in NSW. Ring the rangers.

You seem to be putting in a lot of hard yards for your "friend".

If you are the buyer of this pup then all I can say is you're ignoring one hell of a lot of warning bells. Let me guess - pups won't be microchipped either?

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Let me guess - pups won't be microchipped either?

was wondering when microchipping was going to come up.

Pup also has to be microchipped before being sold.

So a pup illegally sold before 8 weeks, with no microchipping and a vaccination that is useless. Yeah great breeder the poor mite is coming from.

Let me guess - pups won't be microchipped either?

was wondering when microchipping was going to come up.

Pup also has to be microchipped before being sold.

So a pup illegally sold before 8 weeks, with no microchipping and a vaccination that is useless. Yeah great breeder the poor mite is coming from.

A pup of a breed easily confused with a restricted breed and in all likelihood sold without papers in a BSL state to someone who's not demonstrating a lot of thought about what it will mean to own such a dog. Yep, better and better. :(

Not a legitimate one.

Sorry, but your vet's receptionist is wrong. Perhaps you can pass her a copy of the NSW Code of Practice for Breeding Cats and Dogs so she can hand out the correct information to anyone else who asks.

Edited by espinay2

Not a legitimate one.

Sorry, but your vet's receptionist is wrong. Perhaps you can pass her a copy of the NSW Code of Practice for Breeding Cats and Dogs so she can hand out the correct information to anyone else who asks.

It is also in the Companion Animals Act as well as the code of practice but I cannot be bothered looking it for someone who asked for advice and is choosing to ignore it.

Not a legitimate one.

It is also in the Companion Animals Act as well as the code of practice but I cannot be bothered looking it for someone who asked for advice and is choosing to ignore it.