Elderly Neighbours Dog Ate Chocolate

mantis

My neighbour went out for 4 hours today & when she got home, her JRT X Maltese was vomiting & very lethargic. She noticed a chocolate wrapper on the floor & realised that she must have eaten the half block of chocolate that was left. She thought she put the chocolate way out of reach of her dogs, but obviously not for Penny.

They have taken the dog to the 24hr emergency Vet in Glen Waverley & have put her on a drip & told her to ring back in 3 hours to check her progress. My neighbour is so upset & guilt ridden that she left chocolate where her dog could get it, even though she thought it was out of reach.

Are there any people here who have had their dogs eat chocolate & needed medical care & what are the chances for a full recovery. If her dog doesn't make it, it will devastate her. :cry:

Been there :( Daisy (10kg) ate a fatal dose of 70% plain chocolate, it was touch and go over night, but she pulled through after 24hrs at the vets. The vet said to us at the time that if they make it, there are no long term issues resulting from chocolate toxicity.

Fingers crossed for your neighbors dog :crossfingers: I know what an awful night it was for us, but tell her not to beat herself up over it. We knew how toxic chocolate can be, but it was just one of those stupid accidents that happen.

Penny weighs about 12kg & it was half a block of milk chocolate, they don't know how long it had been since she ate it, because they weren't home.

I'm going to stay with her until she rings the Vet, as she is in such a state, just thought I would quickly post, hoping that a I could give her something positive about her doggy.

Oh how scary!! Your poor neighbour should not feel guilty, dogs can be ingenious little things when they want to get hold of something.

Quinn has twice gotten into the fridge and eaten chocolate, the second time was only a few TimTams but they were dark choc, the first time though she got half a block of chocolate, half a pack of TimTams and a couple of Mint Slices. I was SOOO worried but she showed absolutely no negative effects, not even diarrhea. Garbage guts.

Fingers crossed for little Penny.

ETA - I actually dont often have chocolate in the house, she must sniff it out when I do!

Edited by Simply Grand

Definitely not all doom and gloom - my 4kg Toy Poodle ate about 1/3 a block of chocolate and was fine.

This is a dog chocolate toxicity calculator which can give an idea of the level of danger the dog will be in.

http://www.dog-world.com.au/chocolate-toxicity-calculator.htm

Fingers crossed that the dog pulls through, the good thing is that they've done all that they can for now, and she's in good hands. :crossfingers:

Our old staffy x ate almost a whole block of macadamia nut chocolate - spent the night at the vet on a drip and pulled through - no long term effects - he lived for quite a few more years - fingers crossed for your neighbours dog

Good news, I just came back from her house after she rang the Vet. They were pleased with her progress, said her heart rate was almost back to normal & she is sleeping. They were confident she can go back home tomorrow. :thumbsup:

The Vet said the fact that she vomited most of the chocolate up, helped her heaps. Her sweet little sister Maggie will be so happy when Penny comes home, she was wandering around whimpering, because she couldn't find Penny. :cry:

I can't wait for tomorrow, when order is restored & everyone is happy.

9kg shih Tzu was FED choc cooking drops by my very young daughter in a one for me one for you scenario, as she was totally unaware re chocolate toxicity etc. I came out to see the situation unfolding and by that time most of 200grm packet had been consumed who knows who had the most. :(

dog -> vet -> injection -> result upchuck came home with instructions to watch for this that and the other etc etc, dog seemed ok, within a month following episode we noticed a gradual decline in health status (he was 9 at the time),heart problems suddenly arose, renal failure started and a massive seizure which was horrendous to all of us humans, poor little fellow managed to stay with us for another 3 years but his quality of life was not great, and it was verified through blood tests that the initial cause of this saga was from that chocolate ingestion, obviously the theobromine had taken its toll, a sad way for my then young children to learn about the dangers of chocolate and animals.

so now having young grandchildren I have a pictorial chart made up with all the things dangerous to dogs it is on my fridge door and is a constant reminder to them and any other people who look at it, what not to give to dogs.

This chart is also helpful

http://www.risingwoods.org/OURFAMILY/THEDOGS/knowntoxicfoodsfordogs.htm

Edited by zeebie