Latest Research On Prong & Check Collars

luvsdogs

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't use them and don't encourage their use, but I really wish the PPG would stop putting out this nonsense in this way. Why write scare campaigns full of low-probability risks when you could discuss the real issues?

I haven't had much to do with prong collars but after seeing the result of Jo Public using one in Virginia I am against non-professional use. A poor pittyX came into Animal Control with huge gaping wounds on his neck. Apparently his owner had tied him up outside the store and when he was inside someone had walked a dog past and this dog had pulled and struggled to such a degree that it tore its neck apart.

I haven't had much to do with prong collars but after seeing the result of Jo Public using one in Virginia I am against non-professional use. A poor pittyX came into Animal Control with huge gaping wounds on his neck. Apparently his owner had tied him up outside the store and when he was inside someone had walked a dog past and this dog had pulled and struggled to such a degree that it tore its neck apart.

One has to wonder what the consequences would have been for the passing dog if the tethered dog had got free. Unless the prongs were sharpened, I can't comprehend how a prong collar could inflict that kind of damage.

One has to wonder what the consequences would have been for the passing dog if the tethered dog had got free. Unless the prongs were sharpened, I can't comprehend how a prong collar could inflict that kind of damage.

I have no idea, I'm wondering if it was a home made one or altered in some way. I didn't see the collar just the dog as they took it in to euth it. It was pretty bad.

I agree, sounds extremely far fetched. The prongs would have to have been sharpened (and despite what the article in the OP says this is not common at all, and in the extremely rare occurrence that someone would do such a thing, and I've never heard nor seen of it happening myself, it is outright abuse) or the collar would have been left on the dog for weeks or months causing pressure necrosis which can happen with any kind of collar.

Just more drivel that makes the writers of such articles lose reputability, IMO.

efs

Edited by huski

Ummm - the "choke collars" are actually called "CHECK chains"... the idea is not to choke the dog with them, but check them with a tighten/release motion.

All types of collar can cause injury to a dog if not used correctly. Let's completely ban all of them... *grin*

T.

Ummm - the "choke collars" are actually called "CHECK chains"... the idea is not to choke the dog with them, but check them with a tighten/release motion.

All types of collar can cause injury to a dog if not used correctly. Let's completely ban all of them... *grin*

T.

Yes agree, the use of a double ended harness for general walking would be better.

Me neither, I always have a flat collar sitting lower on the neck when I use my prong so if I do need to tie her up I switch the lead to the other collar

Me neither, I always have a flat collar sitting lower on the neck when I use my prong so if I do need to tie her up I switch the lead to the other collar

Knowing the area who knows if it was even a prong collar, could have been a home made anything. The amount of idiots there :/

some types of collars just seem more open to abuse with untrained people seeing them as a miracle cure - and wasn't there a case of police trainers stringing up dogs by their choke chains (call me old fashioned, that is what they were called before they got the PC check name)

Always been known as check chains as far back as I can remember... only the ignorant and the activists refer to them as choke chains.

Think about it - what good does it do to choke the crap out of your dog? Whereas a check and release is very effective when done correctly... I only have to apply gentle tension to my girls' leads and just the noise of the links moving has them corrected quickly.

T.

Yeah.. there are so many holes in this it's not even funny. As Aidan said, it's scaremongering and exaggeration.

Brad from K9 Services International posted a few questions on this on their facebook page, highlighting the inaccuracies and inconsistencies throughout it. He wasn't rude or insulting. All his questions were deleted rather than answered, and when I questioned them as to why they had deleted his posts rather than just answering the questions my posts were deleted and I was banned from the page. They know it's all crap and they can't defend what they've written so they just ban anyone who might highlight how ridiculous it is.

Always been known as check chains as far back as I can remember... only the ignorant and the activists refer to them as choke chains.

Think about it - what good does it do to choke the crap out of your dog? Whereas a check and release is very effective when done correctly... I only have to apply gentle tension to my girls' leads and just the noise of the links moving has them corrected quickly.

T.

I see very very few used as intended. With the way Joe public uses chains I think 'choke' is an appropriate name.

Yeah.. there are so many holes in this it's not even funny. As Aidan said, it's scaremongering and exaggeration.

Brad from K9 Services International posted a few questions on this on their facebook page, highlighting the inaccuracies and inconsistencies throughout it. He wasn't rude or insulting. All his questions were deleted rather than answered, and when I questioned them as to why they had deleted his posts rather than just answering the questions my posts were deleted and I was banned from the page. They know it's all crap and they can't defend what they've written so they just ban anyone who might highlight how ridiculous it is.

Typical of scaremongers, they post utter rubbish & won't let anyone who doesn't bow down to their rubbish have their say. :banghead:

They were called chokers or choker chains when I first became involved with dogs, the first thing you learnt at training was how to fit one correctly and then how to use it correctly to CHECK not choke your dog. Like anything prongs or choker/check chains can be misused, but some people will also damage their dog on a flat collar.

Like any method or tool it is how it is used that is the key.

I feel it's just ignorance that creates this fear of prong collars. Most people that hate them have never used one. Sure they look scary but using one quickly shows how useful and painless they are. I have tried one on my upper arm and it is NOT painful when used correctly. As stated earlier flat collar used incorrectly can cause terrible damage too.