Okay, I Finally Snapped And Was Rude

Loving my Oldies

I have five little dogs whom I regularly walk together without much difficulty and have been doing this for years. Yes, we get tangled leads; yes, we get dogs pulling/dragging in different directions; yes I trip over leads from time to time. My dogs are walked for their interest and although it would be very nice if they all walked in a straight line and all in their set positions, I have not trained them for this and am happy just to let them potter and enjoy themselves.

Generally speaking, my walks are more like a slow amble and can take up to an hour to go a distance that would take about 1/4 hour at a brisk walk.

So .... walking just three of them is a cinch and we were just ambling along, no tangles, no tripping, enjoy sniffing (I wasn't doing any sniffing but the dogs were). Man comes up behind me looking as though he will have a heart attack if he doesn't slow down his jogging and we exchange greetings.

All well ........ but then he says it. DOLers I am sure you can relate, but if I had a dollar for every time it has been said to me, I would be a wealthy woman.

"You've got your hands full," said man with big smile. Such originality, such erudition!!

Mean and nasty got the better of me. "No," I said, "it is quite easy."

Smile disappears and man hurries on.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's just one of those things people say to make polite conversation - like "how are you?" without pausing to hear your reply or commenting on the weather ... Or every time I say I have Kelpies, people say: "Geez, you must be very active" etc.

Oh I do really sympathise, it get's very tiring hearing those same comments again and again. I walk two giant dogs and sometimes people think i am walking them for their entertainment only, and I will get stopped so they can make their joke to me, some of them are very rude too!

I like you try to be gracious about it, and 99% of the time I am, but occasionally I give in to my impulses and roll my eyes at them or say "whatever".

The one that drives me most crazy is "who's walking who!?" when clearly my dog is walking beautifully beside me with the lead completely slack :doh:

I'm sorry but I don't see a problem with what he said :o. It sounds to me like he was just trying to make conversation? It is like the Dane people getting upset when someone says similar things - people are just trying to connect with other people. Does every comment need to be original? Should we all just mindlessly shuffle past one another?

I get the hands full comment all the time when I'm walking Diva and my 4 year old twins. It's not an original comment but it is people being friendly much nicer than being ignored as people rush past heads down not daring to make eye contact for fear of contamination.

That's a bit rude.

Every time I ever take Ammo out anywhere I always get told to "Get a saddle" or "who's walking who?"

People are just trying to engage you and be friendly for a moment. It pays to be friendly back. Sometimes I just laugh and nod, that makes them feel good and doesn't ruin their whole day wondering what they said wrong.

I get the same comment all the time, think I even started a thread about it. Those sort of comments have become common place. The ones I get annoyed about are wow it must cost a fortune to feed them? One nasty lady said one day in a scouley voice how could you possibly afford to feed all those dogs. I was gobsmacked. I have few standard replies for standard comments but for this lady I was just lost for words, I ignored her!

What annoys me about the 'gee you have you hands full' comment is, people say it without seeing, my guys 2 each side walking perfectly nicely not a tight leash in site what hard about that? Fair enough if they were acting like ferrals (which they can do) :laugh: I usually say nanot really, I'd ha have another one tomorrow if I could!

Not sure about NSW but I think the law here is 4 dogs per person is allowed no more.

Not sure about NSW but I think the law here is 4 dogs per person is allowed no more.

Depends on the council. For instance, my council doesn't have a restriction on numbers, provided there aren't any complaints.

I get the same comment all the time, think I even started a thread about it. Those sort of comments have become common place. The ones I get annoyed about are wow it must cost a fortune to feed them? One nasty lady said one day in a scouley voice how could you possibly afford to feed all those dogs. I was gobsmacked. I have few standard replies for standard comments but for this lady I was just lost for words, I ignored her!

I can empathise. I would have been cross too. I think the one that surprised me the most was when I was walking the five of them, "I hope they aren't all yours?" Why for goodness sake? Do they look badly fed, poorly groomed, sick ???? The man was in a van and cruised along the other side of the street, hanging out the window making this comment.

What annoys me about the 'gee you have you hands full' comment is, people say it without seeing, my guys 2 each side walking perfectly nicely not a tight leash in site what hard about that? Fair enough if they were acting like ferrals (which they can do) :laugh: I usually say nanot really, I'd have another one tomorrow if I could!

Yes, generally mine are just strolling along on loose leads. Edited by Danny's Darling