Where To Get A Grooming Table

giraffez

I'm trying to get a grooming table. Where is the best place to do this and what should I look for?

Is the restraint effective in keeping the dog still? I see it as a hazard if you have a dog that won't keep still and can potentially choke him.

Thanks

I'm trying to get a grooming table. Where is the best place to do this and what should I look for?

Is the restraint effective in keeping the dog still? I see it as a hazard if you have a dog that won't keep still and can potentially choke him.

Thanks

Try www.clipperworld.com.au. smile.gif

First rule of using Grooming arm is not to leave the dog unattended :)

If your dog is going to carry on and you are that concerned buy a control frame that allows you to use a second loop under his tummy as well as the head restraint.

A halti attached to the side of the grooming arm as well as the top loop can be effective too. A Groomers Helper is the same idea.

Most dogs are quite happy to stay calmly on the table with no restraints.

I use a Coleman camping table LOL. No restraints. Both mine put themselves up onto it as soon as they see the grooming bag come out. Bit crowded, LOL so the younger one opts to hop off till it's her turn.

Oz grooming world was the best value when I was in the market for one :)

Edited by BC Crazy

Grooming arms are just a third arm for you, you should not leave dogs unattended. You can get special connectors that would come apart if the dog did fall or jump, so they would not hang there. But if you do not leave them, but just use it to assist you, then you will never have a problem.

We use them at work, but I never use them on my show dogs. They dont need it, they are trained to stand still on the table from babies.

Thank you. My boys generally get groomed on top of the washing machine without any major hassles.

But we had to buy a new one recently and its a lot higher. I think i just need a table and a non slip map in that case. I was thinking of the extra arm because with the washing machine, it was put in the corner so had two walls blocking it from doing anything courageous like jumping off. I'm not sure how still they will be without the extra wall.

Wouldn't one of these do the job? The height may a bit low though, my washing machine height was about 870cm. Or was it my washing machine height was too high to start of with?? :laugh:

http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail/products/Furniture/Tables/OWFCTABLE

Edited by giraffez

Thank you. My boys generally get groomed on top of the washing machine without any major hassles.

But we had to buy a new one recently and its a lot higher. I think i just need a table and a non slip map in that case. I was thinking of the extra arm because with the washing machine, it was put in the corner so had two walls blocking it from doing anything courageous like jumping off. I'm not sure how still they will be without the extra wall.

Wouldn't one of these do the job?

http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail/products/Furniture/Tables/OWFCTABLE

Can't see why not. Long as your dogs aren't to big. Very similar to my camping table, although mine has very strong hinges/legs.

I have to get OH to fold & unfold as it is way to hard for me but I leave mine up most the time. I just put some thin rubber matting

from bunnings to prevent the dogs from slipping :)

Edited by BC Crazy

Make your own :)

Go to Bunnings and buy a piece of play 900 x 600mm. They have these as a standard size. Then find the trestle legs and pick up a set. Next go to the flooring area and buy a piece of the pyramid matting to fit. Finally some adhesive for the pyramid matting.

The trestle legs take 3 or 4 screws (and mine came with these) each and come with instructions. They took about 5 minutes to attach. Then stand the table up, smother the top with the adhesive you bought and lay the pyramid matting on (I bought a bigger piece than needed and allowed it to overhand all sides then once dry I ran a stanley knife around the edge so it was trimmed to an exact fit). Then you can either put something on top of the matting to weight it down or turn the table upside down again so the weight of it helps the matting to stick.

Mine has lasted well over 5 years so far and a friend who did the same has had hers 8 or 9 years. The cost was around $50 and the time including the trip to Bunnings was less than an hour.

Do not use a card table. They are very unstable if the weight is all in one corner, so if the dog moves from the centre they could tip the table over. If you only need a fixed table and have somewhere to put it, then an old desk would work but if it has to fold up then you are better with a proper grooming table.

Make your own :)

Go to Bunnings and buy a piece of play 900 x 600mm. They have these as a standard size. Then find the trestle legs and pick up a set. Next go to the flooring area and buy a piece of the pyramid matting to fit. Finally some adhesive for the pyramid matting.

Mine has lasted well over 5 years so far and a friend who did the same has had hers 8 or 9 years. The cost was around $50 and the time including the trip to Bunnings was less than an hour.

What a good idea! Can you post a picture please so i can visualise. I'm not too good as a handy man :).

Can you please tell me what height of the table is best for grooming that won't tire out the lower back?

Do not use a card table. They are very unstable if the weight is all in one corner, so if the dog moves from the centre they could tip the table over. If you only need a fixed table and have somewhere to put it, then an old desk would work but if it has to fold up then you are better with a proper grooming table.

Okay, thanks for letting me know. I saw a more sturdier table at officeworks a while ago, may pop in to check it out if making it is not an option.

What a good idea! Can you post a picture please so i can visualise. I'm not too good as a handy man :).

Can you please tell me what height of the table is best for grooming that won't tire out the lower back?

Mine is the same height asa normal grooming tables. Not sure what height that is but I can easily do my border collies when standing up and I am not tall.

Here we go, pictures:

Folded up (this table has been standing up under our pergola and I have never actually folded it up or put it away so I wasn't sure the legs would actually fold and the ply is showing some signs of water damage)

20121110_085653_resized.jpg

Looking at how the legs are attached

20121110_085625_resized.jpg

Standing up:

20121110_085553_resized.jpg

20121110_085543_resized.jpg

I did the rounds of the op-shops and bought a folding baby change table, ( perfect height)with a solid, lift up, to fold top. My friend who came with me opted for a wooden one, on wheels, which didn't fold, but had a shelf underneath to store her grooming equipment. My dog is an American cocker spaniel and my friend has 2 min poodles. Mine cost me about $10 and my friends was about $20. I suppose it will depend on how big your dog is, as to whether they will fit on baby table, but they are perfect for small to medium dogs.