Dry Food

Tara8430

Dry food survey  

173 members have voted

1. 1. What brand kibble do you use?

My dog gets Nutro.

Initially I had her on Artemis, I thought she was doing well on it & just had a sensitive tummy, as anything aside from it that she ate gave her the runs. I had to be very vigilant.

Then, after running out & being unable to source it for the umpteenth time (SO annoying :mad) , I switched to Nutro, purely because it was always in stock at Petbarn.

Turns out the Artemis was causing the sensitivity- two years on & she hasn't had the runs since, despite eating a range of naughty things.

Maybe it was just too rich for her.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have tried sooo many foods for the boys recently :laugh:

Cherry has been great on Eukanuba all her life, I have found it has been fantastic for her, especially the senior version.

Rusty didn't do well on Eukanuba, very skinny despite being fed over the recommended amount, as he would just poop it all out. Same on Advance and BH. His teeth also went horrible on these 3. But now he is on Holistic Select anchovy and does great on it...needs fed a lot less, poos less, coat's great, and teeth are great. :thumbsup:

But in proving every dog is different, I still haven't found the best food for Biscuit. He's currently on Eukanuba as it's been the best so far, he has a lovely shiny coat and his teeth are good, however he gets very constipated. Have tried Nutro, his breath and teeth went horrid, same with Holistic Select and Advance, then tried him on Supercoat and he lost so much condition coatwise, musclewise...everything really. Then went for BH, was really hoping it'd work but he lost so much weight, his coat went gross and he pooed lots. So I'm trying adding some canned food, fruit, veg and fresh meat to their diet to see if it'll help Biscuit pass a bit easier. Otherwise I might try him on RC or something else in the new year. The things we do for our loved ones hey :laugh:

Feeding TotW mixed with big-dog RAW patties to encourage my pup to eat it

Considering trying Artemis next but only for something different, she's doing pretty well at the moment with good energy levels, a nice coat and relatively solid poops. Hard to know what to compare that to though as I haven't had her on anything else for long enough to make a decent comparison (she didn't like the Royal Canin I tried on her first very much :(

Advance at the moment, the dogs like it so I will continue to feed it. They only eat dry a couple of times a week though so it lasts quite well and is not too pricey.

Aphelion - the dog in your signature is just gorgeous!

Edited to comment on the OP discussion :)

Black Hawk for the GSD's, previously Advance and now they won't even touch it in favour of Black Hawk.

Cav is on Prescription Diet Hill ID.

Edited by Tazar

Black Hawk for the GSD's, previously Advance and now they won't even touch it in favour of Black Hawk.

Thanks! He does love to be admired. :D I do struggle with what to feed him though. Even though I think most of his allergies are contact allergies, I still play it safe with diet. I tend to feel like you pay so much for such grain heavy foods too. Dry foods are really convenient, but I don't want my dog to be on a long term diet with so much more grains than meat. I end up paying about $10 - 20 more per bag for orijen than I would for others like Hill's or Royal Canin. I really think I'm going to switch to a complete raw diet soon. It does annoy me how my very reputable vet gives me very dissaproving look and tells me not to mess around with raw. I'm pretty sure I can feed my dog a healthy balanced raw diet consisting of much better ingredients that most of the food on his self. I certainly plan to do my research so he won't miss out any any nutrients.

Thanks! He does love to be admired. :D I do struggle with what to feed him though. Even though I think most of his allergies are contact allergies, I still play it safe with diet. I tend to feel like you pay so much for such grain heavy foods too. Dry foods are really convenient, but I don't want my dog to be on a long term diet with so much more grains than meat. I end up paying about $10 - 20 more per bag for orijen than I would for others like Hill's or Royal Canin. I really think I'm going to switch to a complete raw diet soon. It does annoy me how my very reputable vet gives me very dissaproving look and tells me not to mess around with raw. I'm pretty sure I can feed my dog a healthy balanced raw diet consisting of much better ingredients that most of the food on his self. I certainly plan to do my research so he won't miss out any any nutrients.

Funny you mention that Aphelion, when i started this topic i was feeling very frustrated with how Abbey has been on kibble, she has not had much energy and has been feeling very average. My vet wanting to put Abbey on a Hills Prescription diet for a food elimination diet, which i dont like, i dont want her to go near a Hills product as from what ive heard once they are on it they are on it for life. Anyway i have cut her off from kibble completely putting her on raw pattys and oh my i have my pup back, she is wanting to play, she is being silly and she is sleeping much better, and to me thats pretty clear that eating raw is making her feel much much better. And yes vets do tend to look at you as if your mad and god knows my breeder would be disgusted but they arnt seeing her everyday and seeing how she is i am. So now i have probably 7kgs of Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach that i wont be using.... oh well.

Oh and yes your dog is very cute, what breed is he? He looks like a big teddy bear :)

Funny you mention that Aphelion, when i started this topic i was feeling very frustrated with how Abbey has been on kibble, she has not had much energy and has been feeling very average. My vet wanting to put Abbey on a Hills Prescription diet for a food elimination diet, which i dont like, i dont want her to go near a Hills product as from what ive heard once they are on it they are on it for life. Anyway i have cut her off from kibble completely putting her on raw pattys and oh my i have my pup back, she is wanting to play, she is being silly and she is sleeping much better, and to me thats pretty clear that eating raw is making her feel much much better. And yes vets do tend to look at you as if your mad and god knows my breeder would be disgusted but they arnt seeing her everyday and seeing how she is i am. So now i have probably 7kgs of Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach that i wont be using.... oh well.

Oh and yes your dog is very cute, what breed is he? He looks like a big teddy bear :)

He's a Leonberger. He was about 18 weeks in that photo. He just a much bigger teddy bear these days. :D

Edited by Aphelion

Hi Tara8430, Funnily enough the vet we were discussing in the labrador thread put together a raw diet specifically for Sam when he was ill. They put it together when we were worried about the cost of the hills prescription diet that he was on for a few weeks. Due to his allergies it consisted mainly of kangaroo mince :)

Edited by LisaCC